BEWARE! NCL PRIMA SLIDES OBSTRUCTING BALCONY VIEWS INCLUDING HAVEN ROOMS!

dhjson

8 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Numerous unappropriate and uncalled for personal attacks on me that that completely missed the point of my posts

I have no anger towards NCL nor did I say or imply that I did.  If you inferred such, that's on you.

You also seem to know quite a bit about the handful of people to date that have actually experienced this issue.  I'm not sure how you know this information but good for you.  Maybe you could share your sources?  I never commented on the actual impact of the slides, only on NCL's behavior if in fact they are obstructions. 

Key word there = IF

The OP was upset about their 2BR Haven room potentially being impacted by a partial obstructed view from the slide. 

They weren't talking about the corner non-Haven family suites with a clearly visible (now) tube going directly through their actual balcony. They were talking about a room 1-2 cabins down from the slide itself being in the potential periphery of their view.

Everyone is getting into a big hoopla over assumptions and demanding NCL disclose this info - what info? Again, I have yet to see someone who stayed in the nearby rooms or even the most impacted rooms themselves, post videos or pictures from those balconies showing the true obstruction present. 

@HBCcruiser - not sure if you want to even get sucked into this drama, but feel free to share your story about the H4 you originally booked on deck 10 and how you utilized your options to change to a different room once the final floorplan was announced and you lost your hot tub.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Key word there = IF

Which is why I used that word multiple times.  I am not sure why you seemed to have ignored it until now.

Everyone is getting into a big hoopla

The only one getting into any sort of hoopla is YOU.  The only one making personal attacks and false claims about what people are saying is YOU.

demanding NCL disclose this info - what info? Again, I have yet to see someone who stayed in the nearby rooms or even the most impacted rooms themselves, post videos or pictures from those balconies showing the true obstruction present. 

Agreed.  Which gets us back to the "if" word.  IF those views are obstructed, in your opinion should NCL disclose that information at the time of booking?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

@HBCcruiser - not sure if you want to even get sucked into this drama, but feel free to share your story about the H4 you originally booked on deck 10 and how you utilized your options to change to a different room once the final floorplan was announced and you lost your hot tub.

Correct. I originally booked an H4 on deck 10. The website stated clearly that the cabin had a hot tub on the balcony. We booked early and got a good deal. Score! Oh but not so fast. A few months later the NCL plans and website showed that the hot tubs on the deck 10 H4s were removed. There was nothing I could do except keep an eye out to see if a deck 12 H4 opened up. One finally did. Can’t wait for April! 

• Like 2

On 9/14/2022 at 6:50 AM, Sthrngary said:

This ship is a new concept.  Many things will not be perfect.  The brand will correct obvious mistakes as they have in the past.  As I read all the comments and opinions given, one struck me to have pretty clear assessment of Social Media.  People without the experience of cruising on this ship are making comments that sound like they have been on the ship many time.  

Social Media allows for this kind of response and it is less about having actual experience as is it projecting how one would feel if it happened to them.  NCL intent with a Dry Slide was to be different.  The same holds true with the larger Go-Cart Track on a smaller ship.  Just as with the Joy when originally designed for the Asian Market, when a cruise brand sees that did not work, they adjust their mistake if their is one. 

Until more people cruise this ship, take video's and pictures; we all who have not cruised it won't know the actual situation.  I hope that clear and accurate information comes soon.  A situation like this happened to me on another ship.  It was not a slide that was an obstruction, it was something else. The response was frustration and anger on the social media board.  I was also upset because I wanted my cruise to be perfect.  When we got on the cruise, the situation in reality was much less intense and the cruise was great.

Just like visualizing how great your cruise is going to be before it happens, then the reality is a let down from our perfect fantasies.  Focusing on how bad something is going to be before it happens has a similar effect.  Our minds play a harsh game until reality sets in.  

For every CruiseCritic.com member cruising on the Prima sometime soon, can I ask if you could give use some live information and pictures.  We as a group would truly appreciate it.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Well said Gary.

• Thanks 2

On 9/13/2022 at 11:22 PM, SeaShark said:

Hate to think that someone who hasn't stepped foot on the Prima is stirring up drama based on assumptions.

Ah I didn't realize I needed to go somewhere or experience something to know it's not a great experience. 

Come on now this is an obstructed balcony in rooms that next June right now for a family of 4 is $35k USD for 11 nights. 

On 9/14/2022 at 8:50 AM, Sthrngary said:

NCL intent with a Dry Slide was to be different.

Royal has multiple and MSC is launching one shortly l.... 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 6:26 AM, Sailing12Away said:

Everyone is getting into a big hoopla over assumptions and demanding NCL disclose this info - what info? Again, I have yet to see someone who stayed in the nearby rooms or even the most impacted rooms themselves, post videos or pictures from those balconies showing the true obstruction present. 

And? You can easily tell it runs in front of certain rooms and will be within view of others. 

It's like needing video proof that the Edge on Celebrity will be obstructed at times with their magic carpet. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 8:50 AM, Sthrngary said:

When we got on the cruise, the situation in reality was much less intense and the cruise was great.

Was that room $20k-$40k USD for your cruise? 

Doubtful please come back to reality that any slight obstruction should be noted on rooms of that value. 

Additionally it should be noted on standard balaconies even if the tube goes directly in front of the balcony. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

Was that room $20k-$40k USD for your cruise? 

Doubtful please come back to reality that any slight obstruction should be noted on rooms of that value. 

Additionally it should be noted on standard balaconies even if the tube goes directly in front of the balcony. 

@joyous Love the name by the way.  You have taken my quote out of context.  I made that quote after reading lots of comments from the OP.  Every cabin, with any obstruction to the view especially the balcony needs to be stated.  I hate to say it but especially if it is in the Haven which normally would cost a premium of 2 to 3 times the normal fare.  The Cruise Company not doing so is unacceptable. 

The poster is not sure if they have obstruction.  There issue is NCL can't tell them if they do either and was unwilling to accommodate them into another similar cabin.  Shame on NCL for not having better Customer Service.  

My point and still is my point; let's wait and see if this is actually an issue after the ship goes out and video's/pictures of these rooms are available.  For your information, I shared inside contacts with the OP on who to contact on the matter privately.  I thought I had to clarify my point so it would not be misunderstood.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

Ah I didn't realize I needed to go somewhere or experience something to know it's not a great experience. 

Well it seems obvious to me, but I can understand why you didn't realize.

FWIW, experience is what allows you to say that you "know it's not a great experience" instead of saying that you "think it's not a great experience".

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I don't have to be sailing on the Prima conclude that this cabin is obstructed. 

Maybe, but keep in mind that those photos were not taken from the official balcony.  If you look at the floorplan the only balcony shown is the typical rectangular balcony on the side of the ship and it is listed as 45 square feet, which would not include the angled area where the photos were taken from.  I think if you stood on the 'real' balcony where the lounge chair is you would get a considerably different view.

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I don't have to be sailing on the Prima conclude that this cabin is obstructed. 

It is clear from the pictures that NCL should add a solid barrier to the right side (looking out to sea) of that balcony (similar to the one already installed on the left side) so that you can't see those slides at all. Then the obstruction would be mitigated.

1 minute ago, Karaboudjan said:

Maybe, but keep in mind that those photos were not taken from the official balcony.  If you look at the floorplan the only balcony shown is the typical rectangular balcony on the side of the ship and it is listed as 45 square feet, which would not include the angled area where the photos were taken from.  I think if you stood on the 'real' balcony where the lounge chair is you would get a considerably different view.

Ummm.. nope.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that the real balcony is where the lounge chair is? Looking at the second photo, the lounge chair is pointing directly at the part of the blue slide that extends off the side of the ship. A major obstruction. What am I missing? 

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

It is clear from the pictures that NCL should add a solid barrier to the right side (looking out to sea) of that balcony (similar to the one already installed on the left side) so that you can't see those slides at all. Then the obstruction would be mitigated.

You could mitigate the obstruction, but you can't eliminate it. The blue slide extends farther off the side of the ship. 

There is no way around it, these slides pose an obstruction to cabins and should be marked as such.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 7:07 PM, nferr said:

I think it's pretty universal that nobody wants one of those monstrosities cutting across their balcony with a bunch of screaming riders shooting by. Especially when you consider you're paying a huge upcharge for said "private" balcony.

You're not wrong, but no balcony I've seen is totally private. Maybe it's because we've never stayed in the Haven, but regular balconies aren't really private-I can always see, hear, and sometimes smell the people next door on their balconies. I'm curious: how long are the slides open for? 7 am-7 pm?

6 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

You're not wrong, but no balcony I've seen is totally private. Maybe it's because we've never stayed in the Haven, but regular balconies aren't really private-I can always see, hear, and sometimes smell the people next door on their balconies. I'm curious: how long are the slides open for? 7 am-7 pm?

Based on the Freestyle Dailies posted in this live, it looks like the slides are open between five and seven hours per day. I did not read the entire thread, just looked at the first three Freestyle's that popped up. 

My husband and I have stayed in the Haven twice on the Getaway. Once in a Penthouse forward of the ship and once in an aft suite. Both times, we could see, hear, and smell the other balconies. I suppose the Haven suites in the Haven Complex might not have this issue, at least those that are truly forward, but I suspect most Haven suites are not totally private. Having said that, I felt no compunction being au naturel on either cruise. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

You could mitigate the obstruction, but you can't eliminate it. The blue slide extends farther off the side of the ship. 

There is no way around it, these slides pose an obstruction to cabins and should be marked as such.

Sure, but the fact that you can see something from a balcony only makes it visible, if it prevents the view, it is an obstruction. I was recently in a balcony on the Joy (9796) and we had a direct view into the Food Republic instead of down to the sea...and that balcony was never marked as obstructed, nor were people as outraged as they are here.

• Like 1