Embarkation Day Lunch

BettyNL

14 minutes ago, The Mikado said:

Wow. I don’t know that I’d use vacation services that lied to me every time I asked when I’d asked the same question every time. 

I haven't asked them in years since I know they're just trained parrots.  But just to be clear, there is a lot of willful misinformation that is transmitted on Princess cruises, just go to the Guest Services desk.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

I haven't asked them in years since I know they're just trained parrots.  But just to be clear, there is a lot of willful misinformation that is transmitted on Princess cruises, just go to the Guest Services desk.

Hmmm. So you consider the crew "trained parrots"? And they are "transmitting" a "lot of willful misinformation"? Talk about lack of respect for the people who are working long hours to make you cruise enjoyable. Your attitude towards the hardworking staff disgusts me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

“Trained parrots” that cook you good meals, steward your wine, tend your bars, make up your room, provide you food service in your room, and man every job you’re likely to encounter in a small city. 

Pretty good for a parrot. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

Hmmm. So you consider the crew "trained parrots"? And they are "transmitting" a "lot of willful misinformation"? Talk about lack of respect for the people who are working long hours to make you cruise enjoyable. Your attitude towards the hardworking staff disgusts me. 

There are does who work very hard (exploited) like cabin stewards and the wait staff in the dining rooms, and then there are those who have a little better mastery of the English language like those who are working in Guest Services or at the retail booths (other than the retail outlets on board).  If you don't like the answer that you get from Guest Services, just go to the next counter to get a different answer.  And if you still don't like it, go back an hour later to get another answer, none of which will be accurate or correct.  You may also encounter a similar situation at the excursions desk, though some of those folks may have been trained and exposed to some excursions and may actually give you an honest response.

11 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

It is the staff lying to embarking passengers that really bothers me.  Even when I specifically ask which MDR is open, the staff lies.

They may not be telling a falsehood because they may not know that a dining room is open. They can only tell what they know.

In the middle of one cruise I was on I mentioned to the Cruise Director something about the embarkation day lunch in the dining room. Turned out that he had no idea that a dining room was open that day even though (a) he was an experienced Princess employee and (B) he was in charge of putting out the Patter which correctly listed the dining room as being open that day.

The staff tend to know their own area of work very well, but many have little knowledge of what goes on elsewhere in the ship.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, caribill said:

The staff tend to know their own area of work very well, but many have little knowledge of what goes on elsewhere in the ship.

Then, shame on Princess for their lack of coordination on information.  The CD is a ship's officer!  Is there something wrong with this picture?  Perhaps the Captain of the Crown isn't aware of the problems with his ship because the Chief Engineer hasn't told him?  I'm really not sure I can grasp this picture clearly.

12 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

it is well established that during embarkation, even between 11:30 and 1:30, the staff incorrectly tells passengers that no main dining room is open.   Not only have other members of this forum reported it, but it has happened to me at least four times.  Each time, I was misinformed that there was no MDR open and that I should go to the buffet (no mention of Alfredo's or IC).   Fortunately for me, I knew better.

Why you would still ask which DR is open & then get annoyed if not given the correct answer is puzzling. Just get on the ship & go to either of the two main DR's and get your lunch without getting upset. 

It seems as though you enjoy finding a crew member that isn't that informed about the correct times of the dining venue's.

• Like 3

The Crown to Alaska did not have an MDR open for embarkation. The only options were the buffet, international Cafe, Slice or Salty Dog.

The woman taking orders at Salty Dog told me that the buffet was open and we said that we wanted Salty Dog instead. I agree that the staff does try to push you to the buffet and, although it might be lying by omission, it still doesn't make sense for whatever reason.

Edited by bronzey214
(added additional info)

6 hours ago, caribill said:

4 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

Then, shame on Princess for their lack of coordination on information.  The CD is a ship's officer!  Is there something wrong with this picture?  Perhaps the Captain of the Crown isn't aware of the problems with his ship because the Chief Engineer hasn't told him?  I'm really not sure I can grasp this picture clearly.

Yes, the CD should have been aware, but in the main the staff does not know much about areas outside of their work assignment.

I would not expect a ship's photo department staff member to know about booking the Sanctuary.

I would not expect a Spa staff member to know much about booking specialty restaurants.

I would not expect a cabin attendant to know much about signing up for the Chef's Table.

I do not know where the staff that directs people to the buffet on embarkation day normally work, but they do not come from the food and beverage department. They likely only know they have been directed to help people find the buffet.

Their supervisors may be faulted for not letting the staff know about other dining options, but do not blame the staff that point you to the buffet for just doing what they have been asked to do.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

We are usually advised as to when the MDR would open for lunch, but only by MDR staff or staff on the 6th floor.  Crew members "welcoming" you on board would never tell you that.  I started ignoring them entirely beginning with my 2nd Princess cruise, especially when they insisted on packing us in one set of elevators (I had already figured out that all of the ships had elevators forward, mid-ship, and aft.

No more elevators for you. This is how you shall be brought to the dining room 

image.thumb.jpeg.f1dc80ee0c7c1372d01327d4f77ad976.jpeg

• Haha 3

Once, I had a friend who was late in boarding.  Got to the MDR at 1:31 PM (texted me).  Door was closed and was not allowed in even though we were waiting for them. (totally understandable).  

Once, I asked for the elevator to stop on Deck 6 (Fiesta Deck/Customer Service Deck, Window Suites).  I was told there were NO cabins on Deck 6.  I had to be persuasive and was finally dropped off at Deck 6.  

Once, Post Covid, the Grand Princess dining room was not open on embarkation day due to a lack of food servers.  It was a cruise just before Dry Dock.  Many had left.  Many had covid.  Ship had fewer crew since the Grand was not operating at full capacity.  

Many factors impact the information crew are disseminating.  I do not hold this against the crew.  But then again, I am not a newbie.  And, yes, most of the time, the deck 6 MDR is open for embarkation lunch.  ....on Grand Class ships:  Club Class on the starboard side.  Other passengers on the port side.  

• Like 2

On 9/7/2022 at 3:10 PM, Mike45LC said:

Sloppy, it is well established that during embarkation, even between 11:30 and 1:30, the staff incorrectly tells passengers that no main dining room is open.   Not only have other members of this forum reported it, but it has happened to me at least four times.  Each time, I was misinformed that there was no MDR open and that I should go to the buffet (no mention of Alfredo's or IC).   Fortunately for me, I knew better.

I have not suggested that the staff is out to ruin my vacation.  Their misinformation did not in fact ruin my vacation.    If it had, I would no longer be cruising, as you suggest.

Strange that in the past when I have embarked onto the Grand Princess that the crew at the top of the gangway would hand out a little flyer directing you to the MDR for lunch

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Many factors impact the information crew are disseminating.  I do not hold this against the crew.  But then again, I am not a newbie.  And, yes, most of the time, the deck 6 MDR is open for embarkation lunch.  ....on Grand Class ships:  Club Class on the starboard side.  Other passengers on the port side.  

This has pretty much been the case on every of the cruises that we have been on, Panamax, Grand, Crown, and Royal.  In most cases I'm sure the crew are told to direct everyone to the buffet.  I think it was on our second or third cruise when I asked if the 6th Fl MDR was open for lunch as was specifically told, "It is not, you have to go to the buffet."  So we went to the 6th fl MDR for lunch.  I stopped asking after that cruise.  I think it was on the Regal out of Copenhagen that we were just told that we were too early and that the MDR would not be open until Noon.

On 9/7/2022 at 3:31 PM, sloopsailor said:

You are the one being sloppy. Actually, "disrespectful" is closer than sloppy. Most likely the staff has been instructed to guide people to other dining venues instead of guiding people to a limited location that will only be available a limited duration, as a form of crowd control. They might be following orders. They certainly aren't "lying" to you for their own nefarious reasons.

What if they directed you to the correct dining room, and by the time you arrived the available time had ended and the doors were closed. I would bet you would then be calling them yet another disrespectful name.

Calling them liars is extreme at best, and insulting at worst. Not very gracious on your part. 

You seem to stretch things a bit. Did someone say staff was lying to passengers for they own nefarious reasons?  Start calling me names if you want, but whether a job requirement or not,  it is a lie.  I've also encountered that that more than once.  

14 minutes ago, ldubs said:

You seem to stretch things a bit. Did someone say staff was lying to passengers for they own nefarious reasons?  Start calling me names if you want, but whether a job requirement or not,  it is a lie.  I've also encountered that that more than once.  

It's social media. Being judgemental without cause or provocation is a requirement 😂🤣.

It is very possible that the crew that may be providing misleading information may very well be doing so under direction from their supervisors (who may also not have understood their instructions either.)  That being said, fibbing is fibbing, and ultimately Princess needs to accept responsibility.  But I'd be curious as to how this compares with customer experiences on the other Carnival brands.

55 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Strange that in the past when I have embarked onto the Grand Princess that the crew at the top of the gangway would hand out a little flyer directing you to the MDR for lunch

Wow!  I've never seen that flyer and I've sailed out of Pier 27 many times when the Grand was ported here.

4 minutes ago, SiliconCruiser said:

It's social media. Being judgemental without cause or provocation is a requirement 😂🤣.

It is very possible that the crew that may be providing misleading information may very well be doing so under direction from their supervisors (who may also not have understood their instructions either.)  That being said, fibbing is fibbing, and ultimately Princess needs to accept responsibility.  But I'd be curious as to how this compares with customer experiences on the other Carnival brands.

I think you have it right.  In truth, I'm not going to get too worked up about this.  

4 hours ago, Wakepatrol said:

No more elevators for you. This is how you shall be brought to the dining room 

I have to use an elevator as I'm a caregiver for a person who is limited to a mobility device.  I hope you never have to be in such a situation.  But if you are, I'm sure you're going to be disappointed when some morbidly obese person in a large mobility scooter goes dead center into an elevator blocking anyone else from entering.  Maybe they'll even antagonize you with an "ADA" rant.

I have completed 20 cruises on Princess, No.21 coming up Tuesday. Over those years I have never partaken of the embarkation lunch in MDR, just could not be bothered to rush to the ship, rather check in around 2pm for a 4pm sailing. I have found that the staff on board don't really encourage pax to go to the MDR for lunch on embarkation day, they seem to steer everyone to the Horizon Court Buffet.  I suppose they don't want a couple of thousand to serve in the MDR, which is only open normally from 12 noon to 1.30pm.

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I have found that the staff on board don't really encourage pax to go to the MDR for lunch on embarkation day, they seem to steer everyone to the Horizon Court Buffet.

It's been my experience that they just say that the MDRs are not open (regardless of whether they are or not.)   This may be by direction of their supervisors, or just so that they don't have to keep track of time.  Regardless, it is a disservice for the sake of convenience.  That being said, on the Royal class ships there may be a greater variety in the buffet to appease a more diverse audience.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 10:20 PM, sloopsailor said:

May I suggest reading before posting?

On 9/6/2022 at 6:57 PM, BettyNL said:

Exactly … they always try to steer you to the buffet BUT those in the know, know an MDR is open !!

I was specifically told it was closed on the Regal princess last year. 

Fool me once....

On 9/6/2022 at 8:15 AM, pathi said:

Yep, tell us which ship you are sailing and we can give you details. As a rule the deck 6 midship dining room is open 12pm to 1:30pm.

Lots of other places to eat also.

Grand princess. Where do I go?

13 minutes ago, DrSea said:

I was specifically told it was closed on the Regal princess last year. 

Fool me once....

That wasn't our experience on the Regal in Copenhagen, they just told us that it wouldn't be open until Noon.  But in Port Everglades (also on the Regal) we were specifically told that it was not open, but we went there anyways.  I think it there may also have been a relevance to demographics.

Edited by SiliconCruiser
  • Like 1