How is the bidding system doing? Any comments?

Bwana Tom

16 minutes ago, Suzanne123 said:

Looking for some advice.  Have a deluxe balcony, very far forward on deck 12.  If I bid on a mini suite, is it possible that cabin could be in an even worse location ( seasickness)?  Cruise leaves on Sunday.  Thanks.

They can give you any available Minisuite anywhere on the ship if you bid.

We had done a bid from a mini suite to a full suite(Vista suite).(last Fall) I didn't like the location as a first choice. Website showed no suites available. My travel agent was able to see there was actually a Vista Suite on a higher deck and she was able to change it for us.

• Like 3

I'm curious...is it 100% automatic now?  Or do you still have the option to decline the upgrade?  I'm considering bidding, but I'm afraid the new cabin will be under the buffet or the pool.  According to  the customer service reps, you can still decline the upgrade, but I just don't trust them!  I'd rather stay in my deluxe balcony than get a mini suite or even suite under the buffet!

I think it is automatic.  We received an e-mail that said our bid was accepted and we have a new category and room number.  It also said that the total amount will be charged to the credit card used to submit the offer and becomes final and non-refundable.  We checked our credit card statement and the charge was there. 

16 hours ago, jeffregpuck said:

I'm curious...is it 100% automatic now?  Or do you still have the option to decline the upgrade?  I'm considering bidding, but I'm afraid the new cabin will be under the buffet or the pool.  According to  the customer service reps, you can still decline the upgrade, but I just don't trust them!  I'd rather stay in my deluxe balcony than get a mini suite or even suite under the buffet!

Can't say I blame you one bit, Mr. Jeffregpuck!!! I wouldn't trust the customer service reps one bit. They talk a good talk but then when questions are pressed they quickly say, "I'll have to put you on hold...." and run to their supervisor with the answer changing upon their return to the line....that is IF they even come back to the line."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, HiCCCs said:

Can't say I blame you one bit, Mr. Jeffregpuck!!! I wouldn't trust the customer service reps one bit. They talk a good talk but then when questions are pressed they quickly say, "I'll have to put you on hold...." and run to their supervisor with the answer changing upon their return to the line....that is IF they even come back to the line."

I thoroughly agree. Princess customer service folks whether through the website, over the phone or on the ship are extremely poorly trained and anything they tell you should be taken with a truckload of salt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bwana Tom said:

I thoroughly agree. Princess customer service folks whether through the website, over the phone or on the ship are extremely poorly trained and anything they tell you should be taken with a truckload of salt.

You did mean a shipload of salt?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, jeffregpuck said:

You can no longer decline the upgrade...  that changed at the start of the month.  So before you bid, be sure you are ok with ANY room of that category.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 10:28 AM, san diego sue said:

We had done a bid from a mini suite to a full suite(Vista suite).(last Fall) I didn't like the location as a first choice. Website showed no suites available. My travel agent was able to see there was actually a Vista Suite on a higher deck and she was able to change it for us.

Sounds like you lucked out! Play the lotto...you could be even luckier!!! Thanks for this information...good to know.

On 3/29/2023 at 7:33 AM, sns1 said:

My husband and I just got our bid accepted for a vista suite for the 4/15/23 sailing on the Caribbean.  We were originally booked in a mini suite on the dolphin deck.  We normally book a year in advance to make sure we get the room we want but we booked this cruise two months ago.  No suites were available and very few mini suites.  We took what was available and then decided to do a bid (our first).  We bid the lowest amount we could.  The cruise became "currently unavailable" shortly after we booked this cruise.  We truly did not think we would have our bid accepted.  We received an e-mail last night saying that our credit card would be charged for the bid.  We feel like it was a good deal.  The fare for the suite including our bid is still lower than if we booked it from the start.  We will get a free specialty dining and we already paid our gratuities at the mini suite price.  (We will still give our room steward a little extra)

We are happy and will be sailing shortly.

This is good information to know. I was wondering if you would get all the perks and privileges of a suite .... sounds like the answer is "yes". I know any promo goodies you were awarded at the time of booking will transfer--those don't get lost because of the upgrade. I'd like to try bidding on an upgrade...but would not want a stateroom with an ADA bathroom. I wish Princess could tell us whether or not those are a part of the pool for bidding on an upgrade.

11 hours ago, HiCCCs said:

This is good information to know. I was wondering if you would get all the perks and privileges of a suite .... sounds like the answer is "yes". I know any promo goodies you were awarded at the time of booking will transfer--those don't get lost because of the upgrade. I'd like to try bidding on an upgrade...but would not want a stateroom with an ADA bathroom. I wish Princess could tell us whether or not those are a part of the pool for bidding on an upgrade.

Have you ever sent an email to the Princess Access Office, to question the possibility?  

accessofficeprincess@princesscruises.com

• Thanks 1

We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess.  We knew where all the vista suites were located and any of them would have been fine for us.  We probably would think twice if we were bidding a oceanview to balcony or balcony to mini unless it was super cheap. 

14 hours ago, HiCCCs said:

I would assume they would be.

They are in the "pool" for guarantee cabins.

We wound up with ADA cabins twice when we booked that category.

I do not care for them either.

Not just the bathroom but some storage removed. Trade off is a bigger...to move around in...cabin & balcony.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Think they don't want the ADA room, but asking if they're in the pool. 

That's right....I wouldn't want to place a bid IF ADA staterooms/bathrooms are part of the pool to be upgraded. It wouldn't work for my travel mate and I.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HiCCCs said:

That's right....I wouldn't want to place a bid IF ADA staterooms/bathrooms are part of the pool to be upgraded. It wouldn't work for my travel mate and I.

We haven't ended up with them in our bidding. Thankfully.  Would not want one either. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1

If there are any available, they are in the pool.  I was assigned one on Diamond P. B2B to Alaska. My TA said it was likely the only inside left available for both weeks.  It was HUGE, really a suite.  And I loved the bathroom with the bench in the shower.  That was in 2010.  This year I booked my first ambulatory accessible cabin just for the shower seat, as I can no longer stand in the shower long enough to soap and rinse my short hair without getting dizzy.  EM

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mygirlsemandsam said:

We had a balcony on Discovery Princess May 7. Bid $100 total and won a mini suite. We have never had a mini suite so I am happy with the upgrade. 

You will love the mini-suite. Once we tried it, we never went back. The extra room - especially the larger bathroom - really makes a difference. Did you get the Reserve Collection (formerly called Club Class) mini-suite? Again, congratulations on the winning bid--and certainly at a GREAT deal. It's nice to hear the examples where people are winning at reasonable bids and saving money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HiCCCs said:

You will love the mini-suite. Once we tried it, we never went back. The extra room - especially the larger bathroom - really makes a difference. Did you get the Reserve Collection (formerly called Club Class) mini-suite? Again, congratulations on the winning bid--and certainly at a GREAT deal. It's nice to hear the examples where people are winning at reasonable bids and saving money.

no club class. That just too much $$$ for us. But we are still happy with the mini suite. 

• Like 2