VOLENDAM

deck chair

17 minutes ago, deck chair said:

Hi!  Thinking of booking the Volendam on a 74-day South America cruise departing January 3.  Before I make that commitment curious how recent passengers have found her.  Don't want to make a mistake.   Thank you.

Deck Chair. 

Volendam has been hosting Ukranian refugees for the past several months. That ends on the 9th and she will transition to Trieste to pick up her first passengers on the 24th

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Volendam has been hosting Ukranian refugees for the past several months. That ends on the 9th and she will transition to Trieste to pick up her first passengers on the 24th

I'll bet those on her have found her absolutely delightful, even if they are a bit homesick.

Roy

• Like 8

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I'll bet those on her have found her absolutely delightful, even if they are a bit homesick.

Roy

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Hello!  This is what concerns me about the VOLENDAM.  The war in Ukraine has been going on for over six months with no end in sight.  I don't know what agreement HAL has made with the authorities to house probably close to 2,000 refugees.  As scheduled cruises approach it is hard to imagine HAL is just going to unceremoniously dump so many refugees onto the pier.  This leads me to think that HAL is going to extend the agreement and cancel upcoming cruises including the 74 day South America cruise leaving booked passengers to seek out alternative arrangements.

I am also concerned about the condition of the ship with so many refugees occupying it for so long.  Something tells me the ship is going to be worn out, messy and in disarray.  Even if the upcoming cruises come off, what is the condition of the ship?  Also, will the crew be well trained and experienced?

Finally, since the Volendam launched in 1999 one must ask how much longer does she have as a HAL ship?  Is HAl going to invest any money into a ship that is now out of sync with its fleet mates.  Will HAl allow the ship to slip as it attempts to find a buyer leaving passengers with a mediocre experience ship wise?  Also mindful of the cutbacks HAL has instituted.  

A 74 day South America cruise is not cheap, at least not for me traveling as a solo passenger paying a heft single supplement.   So, what would you do?

Deck Chair  Three star mariner.  (94 days.)

I understand your concerns and am watching the upcoming Italy cruises that she is scheduled to begin on Sept 24, 2022.  She is scheduled to arrive in the US on Nov 19, 2022.  I am hopeful all goes according to schedule, but would watch these cruises as an indicator of unscheduled events in the pipeline.  I was very interested in the South America cruise, but chose not to pursue it due to other factors.  Instead, I chose the shorter cruise before the Grand South America.  I wish you the best on your upcoming voyage, if you choose to pursue it.

Edited by Tradestock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HAL and the Netherlands government have known for months that the arrangement would end this week. Surely they've made arrangements to rehouse the refugees. I doubt that any refugees will be just dumped on the pier. 

The Prinsendam was built in 1988 and was sailing for HAL when it was over 30 years old. I'd say that Volendam has a few more years in her in the fleet. I'm booked on the Grand Australia cruise in 2024. 

Edited by boulders
  • Like 2

I have been on three HAL ships recently and have been pleasantly surprised by their tip top shape. Sure there may have been a worn carpet here or there but the new upgraded air system just makes it seem so much cleaner.   My bedding has been pristine and plush, bathrooms have been in excellent condition.  I guess they used the pandemic to clean it all up

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The concerns are ones that I have thought of.  But, whatever the Volendam may have suffered as being a refugee vessel out to be cosmetic.  And, whatever they may be, they ought not to be so bad that a guest's experience would suffer.  

Her upcoming long South America cruise has been a favorite for so many HAL cruisers.  For her not to be able to perform to the satisfaction of her guests is unthinkable for me.

A Volendam anniversary note:  It was 20 years ago this month when the Volendam sailed on her first really long cruise:  a very successful Asia Pacific Cruise from Vancouver.  Jonathan Peter Harris was at the helm and Hans Dernison was the Hotel Manager; I was a guest.  It was, and is, the best cruise I have ever taken.  

• Like 1

Since the contract to house the refugees ends this Friday I would assume (or maybe hope?) that any deviations from that plan would have been made known by now.  They announced the extension housing the refugees 51 days before the first cruise back was set to begin.  Currently the new first cruise back is 17 days away.

I wouldn’t be surprised if things don’t go smoothly on the first sailing back but hopefully it doesn’t get canceled.  Of course I’m biased towards being optimistic since we have a sailing on the Volendam booked in December.

At the end of the day this is a first world problem for us.  I can think of many reasons to get upset for not being able to go on a cruise but if it’s because the ship we’re supposed to be on is still housing refugees that had to flee their country then I can be fine with that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You learn something every day.  In my many years in the Fire Department I was always taught "there are no stupid questions, only stupid mistakes".  The question made sense from someone who had been truly out of the loop for the last years and not known what the Volendam was doing.  For someone who KNEW the Volendam was housing refugees and not sailed in 2 years and asking for an opinion on the ship from recent passengers has finally convinced me there IS such a thing as a stupid question.

Roy

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, deck chair said:

Hello!  This is what concerns me about the VOLENDAM.  The war in Ukraine has been going on for over six months with no end in sight.  I don't know what agreement HAL has made with the authorities to house probably close to 2,000 refugees.  As scheduled cruises approach it is hard to imagine HAL is just going to unceremoniously dump so many refugees onto the pier.  This leads me to think that HAL is going to extend the agreement and cancel upcoming cruises including the 74 day South America cruise leaving booked passengers to seek out alternative arrangements.

I am also concerned about the condition of the ship with so many refugees occupying it for so long.  Something tells me the ship is going to be worn out, messy and in disarray.  Even if the upcoming cruises come off, what is the condition of the ship?  Also, will the crew be well trained and experienced?

Finally, since the Volendam launched in 1999 one must ask how much longer does she have as a HAL ship?  Is HAl going to invest any money into a ship that is now out of sync with its fleet mates.  Will HAl allow the ship to slip as it attempts to find a buyer leaving passengers with a mediocre experience ship wise?  Also mindful of the cutbacks HAL has instituted.  

A 74 day South America cruise is not cheap, at least not for me traveling as a solo passenger paying a heft single supplement.   So, what would you do?

Deck Chair  Three star mariner.  (94 days.)

Well last week on the Eurodam, the CD(Ryan) said that he was heading over to the Volendam soon.

They had extended the Volendam once, Enough time has passed that 1. A number of refugees have returned to Ukraine  and 2. those that remain have and are being transitioned to longer term housing 

Ryan lives in Ukraine and his wife is from Ukraine. 

Edited by ldtr

40 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’ll be very surprised if the cruise on the 24th goes ahead.  If it does hal will probably not do anything until midnight on the 23rd.  

Well the CD for that cruise certainly thinks that it will be going as scheduled.

Edited by ldtr

10 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

You learn something every day.  In my many years in the Fire Department I was always taught "there are no stupid questions, only stupid mistakes".  The question made sense from someone who had been truly out of the loop for the last years and not known what the Volendam was doing.  For someone who KNEW the Volendam was housing refugees and not sailed in 2 years and asking for an opinion on the ship from recent passengers has finally convinced me there IS such a thing as a stupid question.

Roy

Hi Roy!!  No worries from me.  No, I did not know where the Volendam has been positioned recently.  Nice to know.  My last cruise on HAL was the 2005 35 day Voyage of the Vikings on the Maasdam round trip from Boston. If meet you on the Queen Mary 2 I will buy you a drink in the Chart Room.  Be well and safe travels.

Deck Chair.

Edited by deck chair
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Well the CD for that cruise certainly thinks that it will be going as scheduled.

I hope it happens.  The rank and file are not usually privy to upper management decisions.  I know people have also said Gus said it will sail so it will.  I guess I’m jaded because I don’t believe anything until it happens, especially when it’s so iffy. I’m not afraid to admit I’m wrong once proven.

2 hours ago, ldtr said:

Well last week on the Eurodam, the CD(Ryan) said that he was heading over to the Volendam soon.

They had extended the Volendam once, Enough time has passed that 1. A number of refugees have returned to Ukraine  and 2. those that remain have and are being transitioned to longer term housing 

Ryan lives in Ukraine and his wife is from Ukraine.

I remember talking to Ryan on our Eurodam cruise last Dec.  He said he was originally from a tiny town near where I live now (that caught my ear so that's why I chatted with him) but had moved to Kyiv.  He said it was interesting that he had just met another crewmember onboard who was also from Ukraine and after speaking with her, found that she lived in the same apartment building as him...small world. 

I always wondered if he had been able to make it back home--and if it still existed--due to the war going on.  Perhaps that's why he's transferring to the Volendam to get closer to home for a bit.

11 minutes ago, AFNavigator said:

I remember talking to Ryan on our Eurodam cruise last Dec.  He said he was originally from a tiny town near where I live now (that caught my ear so that's why I chatted with him) but had moved to Kyiv.  He said it was interesting that he had just met another crewmember onboard who was also from Ukraine and after speaking with her, found that she lived in the same apartment building as him...small world. 

I always wondered if he had been able to make it back home--and if it still existed--due to the war going on.  Perhaps that's why he's transferring to the Volendam to get closer to home for a bit.

He told me that both he and his wife were in Kyiv when the war started, but had both gotten out. I think he is transferring because that is where the company wants him for the longer voyages that the Volendam will be doing, plus he is interested in the Amazon cruise (told me he was reading up on explorations from the 1600's related to the Amazon and South America.  

3 minutes ago, ldtr said:

He told me that both he and his wife were in Kyiv when the war started, but had both gotten out. I think he is transferring because that is where the company wants him for the longer voyages that the Volendam will be doing, plus he is interested in the Amazon cruise (told me he was reading up on explorations from the 1600's related to the Amazon and South America.  

Idtr,

Thanks for the great follow-up on how he and family made it out.  Sounds like he has great adventures awaiting him in South America.

17 hours ago, AFNavigator said:

Idtr,

Thanks for the great follow-up on how he and family made it out.  Sounds like he has great adventures awaiting him in South America.

We started talking because he was wearing a jacket with a US Antarctic Research Project patch and I asked where he got it.  He mentioned that he got it at Palmer because he would go ashore to bring the scientists out to the ship for them to do a presentation to the passengers.  I had spent 3 seasons doing field work out of McMurdo Station so we got into a discussion about Antarctica.