Her Majesty the Queen dies.

NSWP

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

It will be on MUTS for sure in the early hours, but will be cold and rocking and rolling probably, looking at the wave forecasts around the coast of Southern Australia. I just finished packing, put in some Travelcalm tablets, lol. Drive up to Sydney tommorow precruise.

We’re driving to Sydney tomorrow too, Les.  Airport hotel pre-flight.  Hope driver can behave on your old beat😜 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

Wow - Inner South? Great area to live. We can see PH out the windows in the apartment.

Can’t see without standing on the roof, but can hear, and we certainly hear all the Stage 88 concerts if we open the window.  Guess…

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

I fear some cool weather and rocking and rolling around South Australia.  I have booked into 6pm dinners, suit me so I shall be able to watch the funeral, but probably will not, rather do other things, like what time does karaoke start ? lol 

I can just imagine you at karaoke.  No, second thoughts, like me, you’ll be hoping to watch the funeral.  We’ll be on Oceania’s Sirena, and Oceania’s wifi and real time tv is usually really great. That evening, I’ve arranged our CC thread’s M&M in Horizons Bar.  A moment in history to share over a toast to our Queen Elizabeth II.  

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Can’t see without standing on the roof, but can hear, and we certainly hear all the Stage 88 concerts if we open the window.  Guess…

I was going to say Yarralumla but I am wondering if north of the lake now (owing to Stage 88 as we don't hear anything from there)? More clues please.

For me, think of Realm Hotel and DFAT 😁

1 hour ago, Aussieflyer said:

I was going to say Yarralumla but I am wondering if north of the lake now (owing to Stage 88 as we don't hear anything from there)? More clues please.

You don’t need more clues😊

• Like 1

Its crazy how much money is being spent on this. Post pandemic that is seeing inflation at an all time high, high unemployment rates, people choosing between heating their house or buying groceries, crumbling health care and other issues. 

Its gonna cost millions alone just to change our court houses to reference the new king and change the coat of arms. Our highest court is Court of Queen's bench, our laws and statutes are printed on the Queens printer, our civil servants swore oaths to the queen. All need to be replaced, rebranded, and reprinted at a cost to the taxpayer. So wasteful. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikamarii said:

Its crazy how much money is being spent on this. Post pandemic that is seeing inflation at an all time high, high unemployment rates, people choosing between heating their house or buying groceries, crumbling health care and other issues. 

Its gonna cost millions alone just to change our court houses to reference the new king and change the coat of arms. Our highest court is Court of Queen's bench, our laws and statutes are printed on the Queens printer, our civil servants swore oaths to the queen. All need to be replaced, rebranded, and reprinted at a cost to the taxpayer. So wasteful. 

Ah yes the cost. The coat of arms of Canada does not change. Our laws are written in the name of "The Crown", oaths of allegiance to the Queen often included the words "heirs and successors" so are still valid. Document printed by "The Queens printer" don't suddenly become obsolete needing replacement, they will simply be used up and replaced in due course by documents printed by "The Kings Printer". Our money will continue as is and be replaced in due course as the old versions reach the end of their useful life as bank notes do. If we were a republic many of these changes would happen every 4 years so I think we got off easy for 70 years without having to change. Besides as it is the next 3 monarchs will all be Kings so we're probably good for another 70 years.

Most of the "issues" you are rightfully concerned about have nothing to do with the Monarchy and everything to do with our elected officials. They're already well versed in wasting money without any help from "The Crown".

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Mikamarii said:

Things that need to be changed, will have to be changed, but it will probably cost little extra because some of these changes will occur in due course. An example is currency - in Australia coins and our $5 note currently bear the Queen's effigy. When new currency is produced, it will bear the effigy of King Charles III. What else could be done - we couldn't expect Queen Elizabeth to live forever and we couldn't expect a woman to be proclaimed the next monarch just to avoid changing the word 'Queen' to 'King'!!😁

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Things that need to be changed, will have to be changed, but it will probably cost little extra because some of these changes will occur in due course. An example is currency - in Australia coins and our $5 note currently bear the Queen's effigy. When new currency is produced, it will bear the effigy of King Charles III. What else could be done - we couldn't expect Queen Elizabeth to live forever and we couldn't expect a woman to be proclaimed the next monarch just to avoid changing the word 'Queen' to 'King'!!😁

Yes, I agree. We print $5 notes and mint coins every year, and that will just continue with Charles III on them instead. Yes, there is a one of cost for the new design, but that isn't huge in the grand scheme of things. Lizzy's $5 notes will remain legal tender until they are worn or damaged.

Yes, the legal swap of Regina to Rex too, but we did all this 70 years ago, and managed it then.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

I bet they had made designs for both Charles and William years ago just in preparation for this occurrence 

Apparently not. The official image that the designs are based on needs to be approved by the palace, and that is yet to occur. Apparently, Charlie will be facing to the left, which will look weird for a bit.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

The other to note, is that it hasn't been the same design of "heads" on the coin for the past 70 years. There has been 6 different portraits used over her reign, so it is a cyclic thing.

29 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

Given that "cash" is rare these days where seemingly everybody is using plastic and tap-and-go, this feels all a bit redundant or nostalgic 

Not everyone.  Cash is used by many people like me.  Lucky you can take up to $10,000 cash overseas.  On my last trip overseas, both my credit cards failed me.  Imagine being in a foreign country on your own with no money!  Once I learnt, I could use one credit card for amounts under $100, I could buy a coffer at a coffee shop which only took credit cards!  

Sad to learn of the sudden passing of the Queen.  I have loved her all my life, even adding her name to mine as a young child.  My first memory of the Queen was being told it was now to be God Save Our Queen, not God Save Our King, as we sang on Parade looking up at the Flag in the Queensland sun.  I am fortunate having seen the Queen and members of her Family many times both in Australia and in the UK.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

It must be exciting working at The Realm and living in DFAT😉

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, arxcards said:

Apparently not. The official image that the designs are based on needs to be approved by the palace, and that is yet to occur. Apparently, Charlie will be facing to the left, which will look weird for a bit.

Correct.  Each succeeding monarch faces the opposite direction from the previous.  This means Charles will be facing backwards.  I offer no comment.

6 hours ago, Mareblu said:

It must be exciting working at The Realm and living in DFAT😉

LOL - very droll. We are officially known as Realm Quarters 😂

It's a great neck of the woods to be though - doctor, dentist, chemist, physic. pathology, day hospital (all useful when one ages). Plus enough restaurants to keep us happy. 

Edited by Aussieflyer

4 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

LOL - very droll. We are officially known as Realm Quarters 😂

It's a great neck of the woods to be though - doctor, dentist, chemist, physic. pathology, day hospital (all useful when one ages). Plus enough restaurants to keep us happy. 

It’s a sublime residential nook

• Like 1