Things to Do in Amsterdam

peikris

We're staying in Amsterdam for a few days after our cruise and I'd love some suggestions for things that you all consider a must see, we have tickets for the Anne Frank House booked. We're staying at the Leonardo Boutique Museumhotel if that's any help for locationsĀ šŸ™‚

Personally I donā€™t believe in ā€œmust seesā€. Different people like different things. Some people will say that the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum are must sees in Amsterdam, but why go there if youā€™re not into art at all?

The only thing that I will consider as somewhat of a must see in Amsterdam is a canal cruise. But only if the weather is nice. There is no point in doing a canal cruise if the rain comes pouring down the windows of the boat.Ā 
If you want specific advice about things to do in Amsterdam, you should tell us a bit more about yourself and your interests. Otherwise just check out the ā€œSee an do ā€œ section on the website of the Amsterdam tourist information:Ā https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/see-and-do

• Like 6

1 hour ago, peikris said:

We're staying in Amsterdam for a few days after our cruise and I'd love some suggestions for things that you all consider a must see, we have tickets for the Anne Frank House booked. We're staying at the Leonardo Boutique Museumhotel if that's any help for locationsĀ šŸ™‚

What sort of things are you interested in?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, peikris said:

Leonardo Boutique Museumhotel

Ā Well, in that location the mentioned Van Gogh museum andĀ  the Rijksmuseums are just around the corner.

Sure the first post about why should one go if not interested in art has a point, but still IMHO the Rijksmuseum is a total must see as it is something like the treasury of the Netherlands, the art there is not only art but tells so much about the history and the very being of the country.

Ā 

• Like 2

If you have time, take a 20 minute train journey to Haarlem. Itā€™s a really pretty town, almost like a mini Amsterdam with lots of independent shops and cafes and an imposing church on the main square. Itā€™s great for an afternoon stroll to escape the crowds in Amsterdam.Ā 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 9:57 AM, Scottishclover said:

If you have time, take a 20 minute train journey to Haarlem. Itā€™s a really pretty town, almost like a mini Amsterdam with lots of independent shops and cafes and an imposing church on the main square. Itā€™s great for an afternoon stroll to escape the crowds in Amsterdam.Ā 

And the Frans Hals museum..... šŸ˜‰

Ā 

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2022 at 3:57 AM, Scottishclover said:

Thatā€™s exactly what we want to do! Ā This is our third visit to Amsterdam so we want to journey out. Ā It sounds easy to do? Ā No need for a guide etc.??

Thanks

On 9/9/2022 at 3:19 PM, CruiserBruce said:

@Dutch_TravelgirlĀ thank you for that, such a well stated position. "What are the must sees" is always so subjective, so personal. I spend lots of time researching what the DW and I might be interested in...including for our upcoming Amsterdam trip.

If you need a recommendation for a hotel in Amsterdam we stayed at the Banks Mansion this past July and loved the hotel and location. Enjoy !!!

7 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Thanks...already booked at the DoubleTree Centraal.

Glad you're booked but you would have loved the amenities at Banks...included drinks (open bar serve yourself) and the breakfast (cooked to order by an amazing chef) were great. Enjoy your trip.Ā 

• 3 months later...

Just thought I'd pick up on this rather than starting a duplicative thread. I will be there this summer with my sons who are in their 20s. We like art, history, walking around. We will definitely plan on a canal trip weatherĀ permitting. Sounds like we need to buy Anne Frank house tickets in advance. We plan to go to the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum. I noted the day trips by train mentioned above. One of my kids would prefer not to have advance structure, but it always seems to work well if I have a list of possible to dos, and then we play it by ear.

Some more obscure requests:Ā 

- one is interested in fashion, the other likes clothes resale shops. Neither has a ton of money to spend. Ideas?

- both of them like more contemporary art

- both enjoy going to parts of town that are a bit more geared to people their age in terms of bars and shops. We already have our hotel but places we should wander?

- We all enjoy unusual food / bars / different cultures

- we all like live music of almost any type.

Ā 

Thoughts welcome. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 4:17 AM, irvington said:

Just thought I'd pick up on this rather than starting a duplicative thread. I will be there this summer with my sons who are in their 20s. We like art, history, walking around. We will definitely plan on a canal trip weatherĀ permitting. Sounds like we need to buy Anne Frank house tickets in advance. We plan to go to the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum. I noted the day trips by train mentioned above. One of my kids would prefer not to have advance structure, but it always seems to work well if I have a list of possible to dos, and then we play it by ear.

- one is interested in fashion, the other likes clothes resale shops. Neither has a ton of money to spend. Ideas?

- both enjoy going to parts of town that are a bit more geared to people their age in terms of bars and shops. We already have our hotel but places we should wander?

- We all enjoy unusual food / bars / different cultures

- we all like live music of almost any type.

Ā 

Shopping - I mentioned that Haarlem is lovely to visit. I have two older teens and they loved the shopping there. Mix of upmarket and usual fashion. Canā€™t comment on vintage but I think we would have noticed something as my daughters tend to shop for second-hand clothing.Ā 

Anne Frank - you MUST book tickets in advance. I booked the last slot time

( think it was around 7.30 pm) Ā and it was relatively quiet. I think it would be quite claustrophobic if it was really busy. I would book that slot again.

Ā 

- Try Indonesian food, lots of options in Amsterdam. We ate in the Laachende Javaan in Harlem but my sister also recommended Bistro Bar Indonesia, also in Haarlem. Lots of foodies go to Haarlem to eat.Ā 
- I find the best Ā place for bars/shops for younger age group is normally in the vicinity of universities. Not sure where that is in Amsterdam but Iā€™m sure someone else might help.

Ā 

On 1/29/2023 at 11:17 PM, irvington said:

both of them like more contemporary art

So do I, and in research for a trip to Amsterdam this August, I have found two contemporary art museums in the same Museum Quarter near the Van Gogh Museum - the Stedelijk and MOCO.Ā  I haven't been to either, but I intend to when I visit, so it's a suggestion, not a recommendation.

We took a tour to the red light district @ night & a walking tourĀ with thatdamguide both were excellent! Also took a tour to Zaanse Schans was very interesting with lots of windmills. Took a private canal cruise at sunset so part of the cruise would be in the evening when the bridges were framed in lights it was beautiful. Loved Amsterdam! Enjoy your trip.

Perhaps an odd question. Ā One of my favourite memories of Amsterdam when I visited as a small child was eating fresh herring dipped in onion from a street vendor. Ā Please tell me this is still a thing?Ā 
šŸ˜

4 hours ago, trixiee said:

Perhaps an odd question. Ā One of my favourite memories of Amsterdam when I visited as a small child was eating fresh herring dipped in onion from a street vendor. Ā Please tell me this is still a thing?Ā 
šŸ˜

Yes, it is. Delicious (but for me without the onions).Ā 

I love Amsterdam. There are so many things to do and see there. We've spent many days dats several times there.Ā 

Ā 

What to see? There is so much! One could write a book about it. And, as a matter of fact, several people have. Pick up a guidebook on Amsterdam firm Moon, LP, Fodor, RG, or IG that suits your travel style.

On 1/30/2023 at 5:17 AM, irvington said:

Just thought I'd pick up on this rather than starting a duplicative thread. I will be there this summer with my sons who are in their 20s. We like art, history, walking around. ........ I noted the day trips by trainĀ mentioned above

- both enjoy going to parts of town that are a bit more geared to people ....

Ā 

1. Pastoorstraat 18, Arnhem andĀ Ā Derde Walstraat 83, Nijmegen,Ā Fandm.nlĀ  Ā or
  2. Wolvenstraat 7, Amsterdam, Lauradols.nlĀ  Ā  or
  3. Bilderdijkstraat 194, Amsterdam,Ā  and Haarlemmerdijk 143, Amsterdam,Ā  Ā andĀ  Grote Houtstraat 160, Haarlem, Jutkaenriska.com
  4. IJsclubstraat 13, Rotterdam, and Moskesweg 2, Breda, Fleursdepot.nlĀ  Ā or
  5. Nijverheidsweg-Noord 74, Amersfoort, Vintamersfoort.nl

I did not visit them myself, but I found the addresses in a newsletter of a respected dutch company (dutch railways: Nederlandse Spoorwegen). Maybe.....

Ā 

Edited by MAVIP
shortened text....
  • Like 1

Ā 

A few more suggestions in addition to major museums:

Amstelkring Museum, Catholic church hidden in attic of 17c merchant's houseĀ 

Amsterdam Museum

Royal Palace, Dam Square

Rembrandt House

Also recommend a day trip (by train) to the Hague- Binnenhof (Parliament) and Mauritshuis

and Delft (Vermeer museum, Prinsenhof museum)

Enjoyed them all!

• Thanks 2