Funeral of Queen Elizabeth II (Sept. 19th)

NCNina

First of all, condolences to our UK Cruise Critic community on the passing of Queen Elizabeth II.  She was a truly remarkable woman, and I’m sure this is a difficult time for many.  DH and I will be on the September 17th sailing of the Equinox and are hoping to be able to view the funeral onboard on the 19th.  Might anyone know whether the ship has the capacity to broadcast the service live? As it is scheduled to begin at 11:00 a.m. London time, this would obviously be in the early morning ship time.  

Also, as an additional bit of information, I understand this date will be declared a public holiday in Grand Cayman, which happens to be our 1st port stop. Not sure how this might impact excursions and other activities for those who have plans.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NCNina said:

First of all, condolences to our UK Cruise Critic community on the passing of Queen Elizabeth II.  She was a truly remarkable woman, and I’m sure this is a difficult time for many.  DH and I will be on the September 17th sailing of the Equinox and are hoping to be able to view the funeral onboard on the 19th.  Might anyone know whether the ship has the capacity to broadcast the service live? As it is scheduled to begin at 11:00 a.m. London time, this would obviously be in the early morning ship time.  

Also, as an additional bit of information, I understand this date will be declared a public holiday in Grand Cayman, which happens to be our 1st port stop. Not sure how this might impact excursions and other activities for those who have plans.  

They do carry BBC News on the TV so it might air on there.

We heard the news the day we disembarked The Equinox. We’d driven up to Disney Springs awaiting our flight home from Orlando and sat on a seat there heartbroken. Saw other Brits looking at their phones in tears.  Everyone will have their opinions about the royals but we love that we have them. Privileged they may be but they give their lives to serving and they don’t even have the luxury of cruising with Celebrity, I would not change my life for theirs ever. God bless Queen Elizabeth, we will miss her. God bless King Charles III too.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I’m on the same sailing. My best guess is that we are going to end up having a sea day that day (I can’t imagine it will be possible or appropriate  to call at Grand Cayman, given they are a British territory.)  I’d bet that there is something nice in the way of a memorial on board.  NOTE: This is just my gut feelings. I have zero facts or actual knowledge.  

• Like 2

They aren't going to close the country, so porting there would still be possible. However the govt has proclaimed a 10 day period of mourning, with the day of the funeral designated as a holiday. So all govt. offices will be closed, and likely most if not all businesses.

I found this website:  https://cayman.loopnews.com/content/frequently-asked-questions-and-answers-wake-queens-death

Regarding the livestreaming of the funeral- if the funeral starts at 11:00 (GMT) as expected, that would be 5:00 am local time in the Caymans. Given that your ship is not of a British line, I'd be surprised if the did a memorial, but who knows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mom says said:

Given that your ship is not of a British line, I'd be surprised if the did a memorial, but who knows.

It has been reported that Captain Kate on Beyond did a horn salute to commemorate the Queen’s passing.
It just happens to be the President’s cruise.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NCNina said:

That likely will be up to the tour operators, and it may just be case-by-case, and it may depend greatly on how many employees are willing to come to work that day.  Those that depend upon tourism often will work holidays, but that's not something you can take to the bank.  The Cayman Islands are in the British Commonwealth.

As for watching the service, I would think that would be no problem at all.  I expect that many major news channels will cover it.  You may need to watch it in your stateroom, though, unless some crew are willing to sacrifice some well-earned rest and staff a public area (although I expect that many of them may also want to watch).

• Like 1

In the U.K., when we have a bank/public holiday, most shops, tourist attractions, restaurants etc stay open because it’s actually a good trading day for them with others being off work. I can’t speak for Grand Cayman, and this is an unusual circumstance, but I wouldn’t assume anything yet. Thank you for your kind message, by the way. 

We’re sailing on the Millenium this Friday. If we were not, I’d certainly be up in the middle of the night in front of the TV with my cup of tea. I’m hoping the ship might show the funeral in the theatre for those of us who want to watch. DH won’t be too happy to have it on in the stateroom while he’s trying to sleep. At the same time, I would feel bad creating extra work for any crew.

On 9/10/2022 at 12:56 PM, NCNina said:

...Might anyone know whether the ship has the capacity to broadcast the service live?

My wife and I just cruised aboard the Silhouette and happened to be in Scotland September 08, the day the queen died at Balmoral.

To answer your question, we watched later that night, and for the next few days, non-stop coverage of the worldwide response to her death on our cabin television -- specifically Sky News and Sports 24 -- but I suspect whatever channels you can access will broadcast live her funeral on September 19 during your cruise.

As an aside, the Silhouette's crew did an admirable job of informing passengers about the queen's death, including a request from the captain, around 9:00 that night, that everyone pause and bow their heads for a minute of silence. Even as a Yank, those 60 seconds brought a tear to my eye as the entire ship went silent in her honor.

cjr

• Like 8

If  technically possible, they may show the broadcast in the theatre. Many passengers will be interested in seeing the funeral service..would be nice to attend as a group.

Time diff not a big issue,,people get up  before that going through the P. Canal.

We are sailing on the Equinox on Saturday, as well. I know that many of us will be watching TV for the Queen’s funeral. I am sure many scenes will be repeated throughout the day on all the news channels. 
We shall see regarding tourism on Grand Cayman. I think we will still dock.

sheila

On 9/10/2022 at 1:56 PM, NCNina said:

In addition to the UK, Queen Elizabeth was also the head of state for Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Belize, Canada, Grenada, Jamaica, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu.

That little lady got around! 😉

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 10:56 AM, NCNina said:

You will have no problem watching.    Celebrity broadcasts live CNN and BBC News Live 24 hours a day.   I was watching CNN live when they announced her passing.

I would expect that the Captain will also have some tribute to her.   Our Captain came on the PA and had a moment of silance for her and followed by sounding the horn 3x.

• Like 3

We also are sailing on Silhouette out of Southampton on Monday September 19th.

Just found out flights Into LHR that day will possibly be messed up.

Lucky we arrive on Sunday the 18th. and spend one night  in a hotel but for those that like to arrive on sailing day could have problems.

Not something you could see coming months ago..........

I hope X dose something to mark the date onboard as a large number of guests on this cruise will be from the UK.