Bringing a Bicycle

JeannineWW

@JeannineWW Several years ago, ( IIRC, a couple even before Covid), HAL changed it’s policy on bikes, and they were added to the Forbidden List. At that time, there was a lengthy thread about it here.

Prior to that, there had been the occasional person who would bring their bike and keep it in their cabin, and tour the ports with it.

5 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@JeannineWW Several years ago, ( IIRC, a couple even before Covid), HAL changed it’s policy on bikes, and they were added to the Forbidden List. At that time, there was a lengthy thread about it here.

Prior to that, there had been the occasional person who would bring their bike and keep it in their cabin, and tour the ports with it.

Several cruise lines made changes about that same time.  If I recall correctly that were several bike related accidents involving cruise ship passengers around that time.

I know they're on the not permitted list.  That generally does not mean that you will not be able to board but they will confiscate the banned item at the gangway and return it at disembarkation.  Not sure how you get a definite answer but I wonder if they would allow you to reclaim it temporarily on a port call.

Roy

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Exactly. We were about to purchase some foldable bikes at the time they changed.  Research instead the various bike sharing apps 

• 4 months later...

Good morning, all.  I’m going to respectfully reactivate this thread.  We are 3* mariners but haven’t been on HAL since my husband’s mobility issues flared up.  We have, however, cruised with RCI and MSC with our Brompton folding bicycles.  RCI was fine with us respectfully rolling them down the hallways and keeping them in our cabin.  MSC allowed them aboard, but stored them in a locker near the disembarkation station and pulled them out for us at every port.  Both strategies worked very well and the staff was very helpful.  I’m going to call HAL on Monday to discuss.  I just thought others might like to know how other cruise lines have handled bicycles recently . . . 

• Thanks 3

Not sure when HAL changed their policy.  I am sure those who have cruised a lot of days on the old Amsterdam remember when the Hotel Mgr. Henk Mensik and his wife Christel the Guest Relations Mgr. had their tandem bicycle on board and were often seen enjoying a ride around the ports.

Personal experience has shown me that they can be dangerous.  In the 1970s I was on a Navy repair ship that stayed in Sasebo, Japan a few months.  We took a trip to Keelung and about 100 crew members, including myself, bought a bicycle there to use in Sasebo.  We kept them on the pier when there.  I hit a curb in downtown Sasebo, flew off and dislocated my shoulder.  Since I couldn't ride it then, I loaned it to another sailor.  Within a week he broke his arm hitting something while coming down a hill too fast.

• Like 2

We took our folding Bike Friday bikes on a Norwegian cruise to Bermuda about 10 years ago. At the time we were required to sign a waiver and the bikes had to be kept in our stateroom. That particular cruise included two nights in port, which made the bikes very convenient for exploring the island.

Although they fold, the bikes do take up space, specially in a regular sized cabin. I would want to research the length of time for each port of call and the type of access from the port (industrial zone, busy roadways, etc.) plus the airline charges for extra luggage (if flying to embarkation point) before deciding whether or not to repeat the experience.

Well, that was quick!

Just after I posted in this thread I sent an email to the HAL accessibility people asking about bringing our folding Brompton bikes.  I would hasten to note that our situation might be a little bit different from that of other folks since my husband does have some mobility issues.

Anyway, about noon today (which, if you're counting, is basically 1/2 of a business day) a representative got back to me with permission so long as we agree to (politely) roll the bikes up/down the gangway and hallways ourselves, store them in our cabin (we have a Vista Suite, so plenty of room), and, most importantly, NOT ride them on the ship (!).  He did ask that we fill out a form so that the ship personnel will know they're on board.

I am unsure if this is now standard policy across the fleet or if they approved our request.  If taking folding bicycles on board is of interest to you I would encourage you to reach out to customer service, your personal cruise consultant, or the accessibility team at HAL.  

Next up:  planning bike rides from the ports in Norway . . . woohoo!

Thanks to all who replied.  I appreciate it!  Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I'm on the world cruise and there are a few people with bikes -- fold-able and not. On a couple of occasions the captain or cruise director announced that bikes could not be take ashore. Might have been tender ports. But apparently the ban on bikes has been lifted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 11 months later...
On 2/13/2023 at 12:00 PM, Machta said:

Well, that was quick!

Just after I posted in this thread I sent an email to the HAL accessibility people asking about bringing our folding Brompton bikes.  I would hasten to note that our situation might be a little bit different from that of other folks since my husband does have some mobility issues.

Anyway, about noon today (which, if you're counting, is basically 1/2 of a business day) a representative got back to me with permission so long as we agree to (politely) roll the bikes up/down the gangway and hallways ourselves, store them in our cabin (we have a Vista Suite, so plenty of room), and, most importantly, NOT ride them on the ship (!).  He did ask that we fill out a form so that the ship personnel will know they're on board.

I am unsure if this is now standard policy across the fleet or if they approved our request.  If taking folding bicycles on board is of interest to you I would encourage you to reach out to customer service, your personal cruise consultant, or the accessibility team at HAL.  

Next up:  planning bike rides from the ports in Norway . . . woohoo!

Thanks to all who replied.  I appreciate it!  Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Just a note to be sure you understand local rules of the road. Last cruise we did bike tours in Oslo, Helsinki and Amsterdam.  I don't think rules were same in any as far as bikes vs pedestrian vs cars.  When in doubt stop I guess.  We loved bike tours although got soaked to bone every time.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2024 at 11:29 AM, Hazegrey5 said:

Hi, Can you please post the contact email for HAL?  I tried the guest relations email, but did not get a reply.  

How was your experience in port with the folding bicycles?

Thank you

Yes, the email I heard back from is guestaccessibility@hollandamerica.com.  However, as I noted above, my husband has some accessibility issues so bringing the bikes is really important to us.

As far as the ports, we flew in to Amsterdam and had a BLAST riding all over the city before the cruise departed!  It was awesome!  Then on the cruise we rode in several different ports and had a wonderful time.

In two weeks we fly with our bikes to Hong Kong, where we board the Westerdam for 2 weeks to Tokyo.  Again, HAL guest accessibility was very kind in letting us know that we are fine.  We have a Neptune for this trip with lots of room to store the bikes.  Really looking forward to this trip!

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 5:08 PM, Toad said:

My brother and SIL have always booked a lanai cabin and bring their bikes for easy roll off roll on.  As far as I know, no one has ever argued.

That sounds like such a great idea!  But I think there are only one or two ships left in the fleet that have lanai cabins . . . Is that right?  Maybe the Volendam and the Zaandam?