Retreat Tipping question

MarinerAlex

I’m on the Celebrity Infinity now, service has been great as the ship is sailing under 70% full. Between all the crew service members I’m meeting in the suites, I’m just at a lost on who to tip extra. For example, I’m dealing with probably 5 team members in Luminae, and 3 or 4 in Michael’s on a regular basis.

What’s the best way to tip these folks? Do I need to tip everyone?

Luminae staff, except Sommelier, pool tips so we leave a envelop for  “Luminae Staff” with the hostess or MaitreD.  We tip the Sommelier with cash given to him.

We do a similar envelope for the Retreat Lounge Staff.  We tip the Retreat Sun Deck bartenders and the staff that bring us drinks, water, towels daily.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Luminae staff, except Sommelier, pool tips so we leave a envelop for  “Luminae Staff” with the hostess or MaitreD.  We tip the Sommelier with cash given to him.

We do a similar envelope for the Retreat Lounge Staff.  We tip the Retreat Sun Deck bartenders and the staff that bring us drinks, water, towels daily.

Great idea Jelayne. Good to know that they pool tips in the lounge and at Luminae. I think I’ll do this.

Do you tip the MaitreD as well? Or would they get a portion of the pooled tips?

You don't -need- to tip anyone.  Many folks (including us) typically do for exceptional service (or attempts to provide it), but it's really a personal standard.  Keep in mind that a double occupancy room already is contributing $38/day in gratuties.

Personally, the service is Luminae always has been of a quality I want to reward with an extra tip, but that's just been my experience.  I come ready to tip them extra, but I don't hand it out on the first day.  I also expect that there will be at least one bar where we will spend enough time that a tip feels appropriate (again, "feels appropriate). 

For the Sommelier, we try to get them a little something extra by arranging all the tastings we want to do them (and we typically do a couple, at least).  If they do a great job (and they always have), we'll add to that.

I almost always want to tip our Butler and Room Attendant extra, too.  We do as our butler to do things, and the ones we've had always seem to find a way to do those things better than we asked or could have imagined.  As for the Room Attendant, I often make him work around my tendency to sleep in while cruising, so I hope I make up for that in some part with a happy envelope at the end.

As for the best way, I'm not sure there is one.  For the Butler, Room Attendant, Luminae staff, and Sommeleir, I usually give them an envelope on the last night (although I have used OBC).  For bartenders and other bar staff, I typically do that as I go.  However, I'll often "bulk tip" a larger amount if it's a place I know I will be around often (or I just haven't tipped in a while).  I know that bartenders pool to some extent because they always have tossed the cash tips into a common container of some manner.

• Like 1

Whether to tip or not was a big unknown to us on our recent cruise. We spent an extra night in Southampton, England, prior to departure the next morning and visited a pub in the evening. As an American, I tipped the bartenders for each pint. Later, my wife and I connected with two awesome Brits seated at the table next to us and, in the course of conversation, we learned that tipping is not expected in the UK.

In addition, our cruise package included gratuities, so we chose to only tip our Retreat butler and room attendant (2-3 times, spread out over two weeks), and then anytime we experienced really great service or someone who went out of their way to help us. This included a few bartenders, as well as Luminae staff. Honestly, it felt great to tip for quality service rather than just because it's expected.

The previous post about bringing smaller bills is something we learned early on our cruise. We had the usual $20s and higher that you carry when traveling and, while you can break those bills easily at the Guest Relations desk, it's easier to just have smaller bills with you, which we will next time.

cjr

It is better to give than to receive.  We are on a cruise that cost us thousands in a suite.  The extra $10, $20 or more to the people that serve us well won’t break us.  But I am sure it will make a difference in their life and help their family 

It does  add up.  On our last cruise it was over $400 with the most going to the Butler that got a lot because of his great service.   We also tipped the Retreat Hosts.   We were doing some B2B and the extra gratuities was well worth it 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have a question too. We used to tip in cash. But on the last couple cruises - with various cruise lines - I was able to add extra tip to my account, and it was charged to our credit card in the end of the cruise.

I really like this way, as we were in the suites, and the tips came to 400, even more. As I felt like we needed to tip the concierge etc.

I hate to bring so much in cash with me. Especially on the European cruise where we have to tip in Euros - as I understand.

What I did last time for the room attendant - I put the receipt for the "non-cash" tip into the envelope - with a $20 in cash. I put the note of excuse as I broke one of the glasses the evening before - too. But I could not catch her personally, so I just left the envelope in the room.

I hope she was happy with it? What do you think?

I felt like being in such a big cabin - we should give her more of a tip. Though we mostly expected from her not to disturb us, instead of doing stuff for us. But it also deserves a tip, for respecting our privacy. Also I felt she is not guilty we didn't need anything, and she probably relies on the tip money.

But I always wonder if what I do is O'K? Or I should have done something else?

I hate all this tipping uneasiness. Never know if I do what is expected from me. And it kind of ruins my last day of the cruise :)))

46 minutes ago, JoieNsk said:

I have a question too. We used to tip in cash. But on the last couple cruises - with various cruise lines - I was able to add extra tip to my account, and it was charged to our credit card in the end of the cruise.

I really like this way, as we were in the suites, and the tips came to 400, even more. As I felt like we needed to tip the concierge etc.

I hate to bring so much in cash with me. Especially on the European cruise where we have to tip in Euros - as I understand.

What I did last time for the room attendant - I put the receipt for the "non-cash" tip into the envelope - with a $20 in cash. I put the note of excuse as I broke one of the glasses the evening before - too. But I could not catch her personally, so I just left the envelope in the room.

I hope she was happy with it? What do you think?

I felt like being in such a big cabin - we should give her more of a tip. Though we mostly expected from her not to disturb us, instead of doing stuff for us. But it also deserves a tip, for respecting our privacy. Also I felt she is not guilty we didn't need anything, and she probably relies on the tip money.

But I always wonder if what I do is O'K? Or I should have done something else?

I hate all this tipping uneasiness. Never know if I do what is expected from me. And it kind of ruins my last day of the cruise :)))

The crew don’t care what currency you tip in if it is GBP, US$ or Euros as they have their own ways of getting it converted into what they want although it their next few cruises are in Europe we would usually us euros for tips but they are happy with any currency.

for some time we have used obc to do a transfer to the Luminae as the do pool all tips there. Over the course of a week or two we are usually server at some time by every staff member there and it is easier to do it that way rather than chasing them around the restaurant with an envelope. We tell the staff and the Maitre to make sure they get it.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank
  • Like 3

Couldn’t edit my previous post.   The amount was per cruise and not for both.  

Others may TIP more and some less.   And I think that some like to claim to TIP very large amounts but talk is cheap.   I could say that I TIP the butler $100/day, the cabin attendant $50/ day and the servers $50/day and the BT $10/drink as some may claim but not really do it.  Don’t know if they do or don’t.  

Just do whatever you feel comfortable with.   I know many feel that we won’t see them again.  It doesn’t have anything to do with that.   It is for the exceptional service and yes you will still get the same service because they don’t know if you will TIP them extra or not at the end of the cruise.  I even Tipped the restroom attendant because he asked me my name on the first day and always addressed me by my name and said welcome to my office every night of the cruise before going into the theater.   Gave me towel and opened the door.  Service, he took his position very serious.  He was very appreciative of the gratuity.   

Besides the extra gratuity a great comment on on the Attention to Detail Card sometimes means more than the extra gratuity.   It helps them get promoted, gives them some extra benefits like time off, internet minutes and etc. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MarinerAlex said:

I’m on the Celebrity Infinity now, service has been great as the ship is sailing under 70% full. Between all the crew service members I’m meeting in the suites, I’m just at a lost on who to tip extra. For example, I’m dealing with probably 5 team members in Luminae, and 3 or 4 in Michael’s on a regular basis.

What’s the best way to tip these folks? Do I need to tip everyone?

8 minutes ago, JoieNsk said:

Thank you for the response!

I feel a bit better now :)))

Were gratuities included with your stateroom booking?  If yes, I like to add a cash tip with a note in an envelope and hand it to a staff member who has really impressed us.  (I bring notes and envelopes on board with me but you can obtain paper and envelopes from Guest Services.)

• Like 1

This next winter I will have much more obc than I can possibly use, especially with upgraded drinks pkg.  Thus I am really interested in using some for tips.  Usually I bring cash onboard with various sizes of bills.  For example, how do I make sure my tip goes to Retreat Lounge staff?  Will they see this as impersonal and remote?

3 hours ago, miched said:

Couldn’t edit my previous post.   The amount was per cruise and not for both.  

Others may TIP more and some less.   And I think that some like to claim to TIP very large amounts but talk is cheap.   I could say that I TIP the butler $100/day, the cabin attendant $50/ day and the servers $50/day and the BT $10/drink as some may claim but not really do it.  Don’t know if they do or don’t.  

Just do whatever you feel comfortable with.   I know many feel that we won’t see them again.  It doesn’t have anything to do with that.   It is for the exceptional service and yes you will still get the same service because they don’t know if you will TIP them extra or not at the end of the cruise.  I even Tipped the restroom attendant because he asked me my name on the first day and always addressed me by my name and said welcome to my office every night of the cruise before going into the theater.   Gave me towel and opened the door.  Service, he took his position very serious.  He was very appreciative of the gratuity.   

Besides the extra gratuity a great comment on on the Attention to Detail Card sometimes means more than the extra gratuity.   It helps them get promoted, gives them some extra benefits like time off, internet minutes and etc. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Not sure what causes you to doubt what others state to be how/what $ they say they tip, anymore than one should doubt your tipping for a towel or holding a door open for you.

1 hour ago, SusieAV8R said:

Were gratuities included with your stateroom booking?  If yes...

Yes.

They charged standard gratuities to our account - as it is supposed to be.

But I was able to go to the guest relations and add extra tips for certain people to my on-board charges.

It was much easier in that way, as like I mentioned the extra gratuity amount comes up to 400-500 total, including concierge etc. I really don't feel like paying all this in cash. I never carry cash in such amounts.  In our digital day-and-age.

They gave me a copy of the receipt of those charges, I cut it by the lines and I stuck the copy for each person I tipped in the separate envelope with thank you etc. So they can claim the tip, if somehow they would not get it automatically.

I do give some tips in cash - like when they bring room service, or to the bartender in the lounge etc. But these are small amounts. So it is not difficult. I give cash tip with every room service, as the waiters varied.

But the main amount of those "extra tips" - I really like to pay by credit card.

I just hope it works for the crew. But the guest relations told me it would. It was Royal Caribbean and Disney.

Edited by JoieNsk

I really didn't know how much I should tip such people as concierge etc.

So it was always a tricky guess.

It's just once the Concierge on one of the Disney ships told me that they don't get any other pay more than guest tips (?!). I was amazed. But I don't see the reason why he would not tell the truth.

So I always feel like I should tip them more now.

I really hate all those tipping games.

Edited by JoieNsk

"I hate all this tipping uneasiness. Never know if I do what is expected from me."

You're creating your own uneasiness. And knowing what is 'expected of you'? I just don't get that, sorry.

Tip who you want to...not because you think they expect you to but because they did a good job and you *want* to. 

Tip the amount you want to...not the amount you think is *expected* of you but the amount you want to give.

It's easy. You're overthinking it. 

I distribute tips (generally) at the end of the cruise. (except room service folk and the like...them I tip on the spot...) And I feel great about it. It never ruins my last day...ever. 

And I find it...difficult...to believe that Disney Concierge...

Edited by dlh015
  • Like 1

Back to the OP in the Retreat.

If you're not carrying large amounts of cash, which frankly I NEVER do these days, ask the Retreat Concierge for the additional tip form. Tips to the dining staff are pooled. I believe that's a simple "period" with no qualifier. Tips to housekeeping will got to your stateroom attendant (or whatever they're calling them today) and tips to your Butler (earlier post said they'd reverted to that terminology) go to them. If you want to add a by name, the concierge can add their employee number (the Retreat bartender, for instance). They'll turn it in to guest services. Bizarrely, mine just posted to my credit card today and we've been home over a month, but so be it. And the concierge explained all of that. I believe as someone stated above that the concierge in the Retreat is fully salaried. 

Last cruise, we bought a couple of bottles of wine in Luminae and a wine tasting. Added extra to both tabs.

There are different opinions, including on this thread, but it's a cash free ship (and more and more society), and a lot of gratuities get added on automatically. Your choice whether to add more, but I can honestly say on Equinox I don't recall seeing anyone give a cash tip at a bar. I'm sure it happened, but you used to see it.

1 hour ago, JoieNsk said:

<snip>

But I don't see the reason why he would not tell the truth.

I do. 😉

I leave the autotip on and occasionally (probably seldomly) leave extra. I have never tipped hundreds of dollars extra. If that's "expected" of me, then Celebrity needs to increase the autotip.

3 hours ago, JoieNsk said:

Thank you, guys!!!

I feel better now! 🙂

We always tip a bit extra for the butler, the room attendant, the bar person in Luminae and the staff in Luminae but probably not much more than $250+£300 over them all which probably doubles up on the autotip. The largest part of that goes to Luminae which is at least $10  a day. We have never tipped a concierge and very rarely the sommelier (not because they don't do a good job but because their pay, like all bar staff on the ship, is based around the number of drinks they serve and the auto gratuity on those so they more they serve the more they earn. They do also get a share of the notional gratuities on the beverage packages for drinks delivered). If they are very good they probably get the same as the bar person in Luminae.

But this is just what we feel comfortable with. You have to make your own mind up about what works for yourselves. We will on our upcoming cruise use the $1200 obc that we have that we will struggle to use with the internet and premium drinks already included. It will go to the staff if we haven't spent it. That may get worse if either of our MoveUp bids are successful and we get either a RS or a PH as we won't need it for speciality meals.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank
update info

I never understand the US tipping - if tips are included why tip extra?

In the U.K. tips are done for meals out between 10% -12.5% usually but are not compulsory unless it says so at the time of booking.

You’d never really tip in a pub or bar unless you’d say ‘have one yourself’ & that’s code for a tip. If you had an event there then yes you’d tip most likely but you’d tip around 5%-10% & again it’s not expected. 

Hairdressers/nail technician/ beautician some tip but not everyone does.

I think people don’t realise that in the U.K. we have minimum wage (for most people) which is in line with inflation & counts as a living wage.

Cleaners for example- well mine charges way above the hour than the minimum wage so no I don’t tip. I buy her & her family a Christmas present as do her other customers.

So basically in the U.K. requirement to tip isn’t really there though some do. 

Edited by wineoclock
  • Like 2