Wait times for seating at Blu, is this normal?

keifernny

We’re currently on our 2nd Celebrity cruise. On our first cruise, an ABC cruise in Jan 2022, service was exceptional. The ship was very empty, as it was just after cruising restarted. Meals were very good both in Blu and at the Buffet. 

I’m wondering if our current Alaska cruise is more “Normal” celebrity, or an exception. 3 times this week we’ve been given a pager at Blu and told the wait was 30-45 minutes. The buffet is not staffed for dinner hours (ie: only the back mexican / pizza /pasta is open for dinner, and serving the same items that they do for lunch).  We attempted to make reservations for Tuscan grille to try it out, but the earliest available seatings all week were at 8pm. The maitre D said to us that there are 280 aqua class guests booked and only seating for 80 in blu, which seems to be the crux of the problem. 

Can anyone comment about whether we just got  “wowed” on our first cruise, or if celebrity has made big changes since January?….   Trying to decide if aqua is at all worth it for future cruises. 

Edited by keifernny
add info

The service in January when all ships were sailing and the ships had more crew than passengers isn’t the norm.  Neither  is what you described now. 

It sounds like the ship is short crew and when that happens they limit reservations in the specialty restaurants.  Since the buffet is not frequented by many passengers at dinner they may have moved crew from the buffet to the MDR. 

Every cruise there are peak times when everyone wants to eat.  Sometimes I have seen lines at Blu and the MDR at 5. before they are open another cruise empty at 6 and lines at 8.  

We have done 20+ cruises in Blu and have been given a pager less than 5% of the time.  So your experience isn’t what it would be if the ships had full staffing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keifernny said:

We’re currently on our 2nd Celebrity cruise. On our first cruise, an ABC cruise in Jan 2022, service was exceptional. The ship was very empty, as it was just after cruising restarted. Meals were very good both in Blu and at the Buffet. 

I’m wondering if our current Alaska cruise is more “Normal” celebrity, or an exception. 3 times this week we’ve been given a pager at Blu and told the wait was 30-45 minutes. The buffet is not staffed for dinner hours (ie: only the back mexican / pizza /pasta is open for dinner, and serving the same items that they do for lunch).  We attempted to make reservations for Tuscan grille to try it out, but the earliest available seatings all week were at 8pm. The maitre D said to us that there are 280 aqua class guests booked and only seating for 80 in blu, which seems to be the crux of the problem. 

Can anyone comment about whether we just got  “wowed” on our first cruise, or if celebrity has made big changes since January?….   Trying to decide if aqua is at all worth it for future cruises. 

A tip for future cruises, if the time you arrive is busy ask the M’D to suggest times when there is less likely to be a queue. Sometimes just half an hour can make all the difference. For example, arriving at 6.45pm rather than 7.15. As jaylayne says ‘peak time’ can vary from cruise to cruise. The M’D will soon spot a pattern and will be able to advise you…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We just got off the Summit after a 24 day B2B and we always got to Blu when they first opened and didn’t have any issues being seated. There might have been a few people in line when we got there, but not enough to keep us from being seated at our favorite table with our favorite servers every night. However, when we finished around 6:30 pm, it was packed. Eating early also allowed us to go to the early show in the theater. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keifernny said:

On our first cruise, an ABC cruise in Jan 2022, service was exceptional. The ship was very empty, as it was just after cruising restarted.

I think you answered your own question. That said, I have been in Aqua in for a sold out cruise and Blu was always available, no wait or minimal. I think what you are describing is a symptom of the understaffing on ships currently. Most of that issue is no fault of the cruise lines. There are still major barriers for would-be employees to getting work visas in many of the countries whose citizens staff cruise ships. Fewer cooks. Fewer dishwashers. Fewer servers. All this results in mealtimes running slower for every party. Tables don’t turn as quick as usual. I have read about this issue consistently for pax in all classes, from inside to suites. Many new staff who are new to the ships and new to cruise hospitality altogether. And fewer managers to train them. I think cruising for the near future will continue like this. We are going to have to be patient, reasonable, and skip cruising if we can’t be comfortable with these realities. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, keifernny said:

Currently on Millenium , Seward to Vancouver. Last cruise on Constellation. 

Wow, we were just on the Millie in Feb, booked her last minute when we saw a huge family room was available.  We booked AQ for the Panama Canal sailing and were looking forward to visiting Blu the first time.  I've read that occasionally when Blu is overbooked they'll offer discount vouchers for sushi, I take it they're not doing that?

I would say yes and no, for our four cruises in Aqua Class we have never waiter for a table at dinner time in Blu, but we regularly arrive at 5:30 pm (ish), at the same time, we have regularly seen people waiting for a table in Blu when we leave Blu at at around 7pm.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Wow, we were just on the Millie in Feb, booked her last minute when we saw a huge family room was available.  We booked AQ for the Panama Canal sailing and were looking forward to visiting Blu the first time.  I've read that occasionally when Blu is overbooked they'll offer discount vouchers for sushi, I take it they're not doing that?

I’ve  never heard anything about Sushi on 5 vouchers. 

57 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Honestly, you can probably walk up to Sushi on 5 whenever you want and if the Maitre d is around, negotiate a good discount. Not sure how good the vouchers were but especially on the Panama Canal cruise, the place is so quiet as to nearly look abandoned. Keep watching for the FV on the Panama Canal sailing as those cabins are awesome for that itinerary, maybe they haven't released them to smaller parties yet. I did a bid from an inside and got one on ours. 

Edited by sbcs5390

13 hours ago, sbcs5390 said:

Honestly, you can probably walk up to Sushi on 5 whenever you want and if the Maitre d is around, negotiate a good discount. Not sure how good the vouchers were but especially on the Panama Canal cruise, the place is so quiet as to nearly look abandoned. Keep watching for the FV on the Panama Canal sailing as those cabins are awesome for that itinerary, maybe they haven't released them to smaller parties yet. I did a bid from an inside and got one on ours. 

I love sushi on five. It’s our embarkation day lunch tradition. Zero crowd, quiet, relaxing, fantastic food, and reasonable prices. 

• Like 1

Was on Eclipse 3 years ago.  Blu  Hostess was rude. We had to wait nearly every time. The first night of our cruise our waiter went off duty for the night whilst we still hadn’t gotten our entrees. Another waiter finally came over after our long wait and asked if we needed anything else. We then told him we wanted our dinner and they brought what looked like steak from the main dining room. Small and very thin!  We dined at the main dining room the next night. Worst service we have ever received on many celebrity cruises. 

We no longer dine in blu or take aqua class.  Last time on a S class ship, they had a long line for blu.  It is first come first serve.  If you are on line very early, you get seated.  If not, you wait or come back after 7:30 when it opens up.  We save our money book balcony cabins and dine when we like in Specialty restaurants.  The  unlimited dining package works out best for us as we don't use the other aqua options like the persian garden.   Sometimes, if the price is good we might book cc for the extra points and small perks.

Lately we have been in suite class.

4 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

The  unlimited dining package works out best for us as we don't use the other aqua options like the persian garden.   

Have not seen the ultimate dining package offered in awhile.  Typically there is a dining package with a 3, 4, 5, or 6 option.  

5 minutes ago, crusinthrough said:

Have not seen the ultimate dining package offered in awhile.  Typically there is a dining package with a 3, 4, 5, or 6 option.  

You are correct.  The Ultimate Dining package was discontinued a couple of years before the pandemic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wineoclock said:

Ok perfect thank you 

In our general experience all restaurants (including Blu, Luminae, MDR and speciality restaurants are easier to access/book before 6.45pm and after 8.15pm. As we have travelled world wide we have seen some variations (in the Med if more Europeans on board skewed busier slightly later). 

As mentioned in a previous post, if you don’t want a wait or to be sent away with a buzzer ask the M’D for his time recommendations. He will after the first night or so be able to predict the crowded times.