Cellular Phone Usage - Coverage Options

WannaBaMermaid

I need to have cellular phone coverage at all times (including sea days) due to an ill family member.   I know wifi packages are available for purchase and making calls via wifi is an option but I heard from several friends that the coverage was "spotty" at times and not 100% reliable.   I have always made calls on port days in the past with no problem, my current AT&T plan includes Mexico.    I need good coverage on the sea days as well.   Has anyone had experience on what works best?     I don't necessarily need data or internet, just the ability to make and receive phone calls.    I see where AT&T (my carrier) has a cruise ship package available for Carnival Valor but was confused as how it works on the sea days and it wasn't real clear as to how it works.   I would assume there are no cell towers in the middle of the Caribbean.  

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

No way I would use my cellular service package.  There's been people here who say they've used it with no issue, but there's also been people who had the package but then get hit with fees for using the ship's cellar at sea network to connect to their cell service. Just not worth the risk for me. And I find the customer service reps who answer the phone with the cell companies don't really understand how this works. 

I always get the social media package and have been able to text, call and facetime home. Sometimes there may be delays at high peak hours so facetime may not work as well as a phone call. I also use whatsapp which seams to work pretty well. 

On my last cruise (May, Magic), there were people who were able to imessage using the ship's wifi without purchasing a internet plan.  That seems to be a new change. 

Edited by pohlerbear

When at sea (or more simply, when the gangway doors are closed), you use Cellular at Sea. This is a service where Carnival uses their satellite link to provide cellular roaming.

When in port, you roam on the domestic carrier of that country.

Your carrier should have a website where you can look up how much calls cost when on the ship and in port.

Yes....a AT&T Cruise package will work fine.  You get an allotment of minutes and it utilizes the Wireless Maritime Services satellite equipement onboard the ship.  If you get a lot of incoming calls though it can eat up those minutes.  There is usually one minute billed for each incoming call even if you don't answer.  I think the lowest AT&T plan is $50 and includes 50 minutes.  Also be mindful that it does not included data and it is very costly.  You would need to turn off mobile data on the phone and I would double it up by going into settings and disabling roaming data.  

• Like 2

Calling from the cabin is $1.99 per minute.  If you need to make a quick call when at sea this is the way to do it.  You can also leave the phone # of the ship someone can call in case of emergency, and Guest Services will contact you immediately.  We have ATT day pass we use when in port, which we love.

Edited by pe4all
  • Like 2

OP, sorry about your family member.  I have another question.  I do not plan to use my phone on cruise.  I would like to take pictures and use CCL hub app.  Should I put phone on airplane mode as soon as I board the ship but I'd still be able to do pictures and app?  I am very technically challenged lol.  TIA

Just now, Crusin Karen said:

OP, sorry about your family member.  I have another question.  I do not plan to use my phone on cruise.  I would like to take pictures and use CCL hub app.  Should I put phone on airplane mode as soon as I board the ship but I'd still be able to do pictures and app?  I am very technically challenged lol.  TIA

Carnival has directions onboard for that - yes put in airplane mode, then turn on wifi and connect to their wifi. do not turn off airplane mode until you get back to your home port.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crusin Karen said:

You don't have to turn on airplane mode until you set sail, actually it is an hour or so later.  That will shut of cell connection, bluetooth and wifi.  Manually turn wifi back on and connect to the ship to use the Hub app.  You can take pictures like normal, no cell service needed.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2022 at 8:15 AM, pohlerbear said:

I always get the social media package and have been able to text, call and facetime home. Sometimes there may be delays at high peak hours so facetime may not work as well as a phone call. I also use whatsapp which seams to work pretty well. 

How do you facetime home with just the Social Media package?  I thought you had to have Premium to facetime?

If I were in your situation, I would purchase the lowest level Wi-Fi plan (or higher if you wish) and use WhatsApp or iMessage (if you have an iPhone) for initial contact.  Then you can call back from your room at $1.99/minute or do a Wi-Fi call using your phone or via WhatsApp or turn off airplane mode and make a cell call.  We were on Carnival Vista earlier this year and this worked for us.  We had the Social Wi-Fi plan and were able to use WhatsApp to make a video call on a sea day.

• Like 2