Live from Navigator—Montreal to NYC—September 20 to October 1,2022

RachelG

We did this same cruise in May-June.  Missing Corner Brook isn't that big a deal, but Sydney was a nice port stop.  Too bad you missed it, but that's cruising.  Like you said, Regent will do all it can to replace a port.  

We also had dinner with Ray.  You are correct, he's had a very interesting life!  

Enjoy your cruise and thanks for taking us along. 😎

• Like 1

Pretty pix and a nice adventure so far. Glad you got a nice hike in and avoided some of the fog.

Here are your pix from QC and Saguenay, rotated upright. 

Screenshot_20220923-095525_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3e1853d348c5fd41401ce1abf1ba6878.jpg

Screenshot_20220923-095514_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f65111f0c044e7314cfb009cdbdfb313.jpg

The fix isn't tough but it probably depends on what device you're posting from.

Stay warm and dry during the storm! And say Hello to George from us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Pretty pix and a nice adventure so far. Glad you got a nice hike in and avoided some of the fog.

Here are your pix from QC and Saguenay, rotated upright. 

Screenshot_20220923-095525_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3e1853d348c5fd41401ce1abf1ba6878.jpg

Screenshot_20220923-095514_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f65111f0c044e7314cfb009cdbdfb313.jpg

The fix isn't tough but it probably depends on what device you're posting from.

Stay warm and dry during the storm! And say Hello to George from us. 

I am posting pics from my iPhone as I can do that without using the ship Wi-Fi 

28 minutes ago, RachelG said:

I am posting pics from my iPhone as I can do that without using the ship Wi-Fi 

Ok. Here are two quick fixes and one that's more involved. I'm using android but I think the problem and fixes are similar. 

First, make sure you take your landscape pix the same way every time. If I rotate 90° left the pux load correctly. If I rotate 90° right, the picture loads upside down. This is by far the easiest fix.

Second, if you have a picture that loads upside down, pull it up in your gallery, then rotate your phone left, and then take a screenshot of the (upright) picture in landscape mode. Post the screenshot in CC and it should now show up correctly. 

Third, I flipped your pix by downloading them, rotating them, and taking a screenshot as in step 2 before uploading and reposting them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, cookiersmom said:

Looking forward to your report.  We board on October 1 for the trip back to Montreal. Positive thoughts for you in avoiding the worst of Fiona!  

One little question.  We are college football fans.  Is there anywhere on board to watch the games?  

Thanks 

No football games as far as I can tell

• Thanks 1

September 23, 2022–Baie Comeau, Quebec

First off, let me comment on how irrational some people are.  Yesterday when it was announced that we would miss Corner Brook and Sydney due to the impending hurricane, and would stop at Baie Comeau today, one lady actually told me she was never sailing Regent again.  Really?  So Regent can control the weather now.  We have friends on another ship doing basically the reverse cruise.  They are stuck floating on a ship outside of Boston right now. Definitely worse off than us.  Anyway, rant over.

On to today.  We awoke at the dock in a beautiful small port.  Big sunshine! Looking outside, I could see lots of tree covered hills, one with a church on top.  To the left stretched a road along the coast leading to a town.  Temperature was in the low 50s with intermittent strong wind gusts.

George and I took off hiking toward town.  There was also a shuttle bus running continuously between the ship and the town center.  In addition, several departures for a panoramic bus tour and tour of the church were available.

We walked along a nice paved pathway past a nice marina with many expensive looking sailboats to a ocean side park then into the town.  Baie Comeau was founded in 1929 as a paper mill town.  The paper mill closed 3 years ago, and now there is just a huge empty building there right by the downtown which consists of one main street with a really good sporting goods and clothing store, an excellent shoe store, a couple of cute boutiques, a coffee shop, 2 barber shops, a chocolate store, and a soap factory.  Also lots of empty store fronts.  We shopped a little, and I bought some insulated quilted pants for our upcoming polar bear expedition scheduled for the end of October.  The store owners were really happy to have our ship in port.  One said they only get about 10 ships a year, but it is a huge boon to the economy.

All the houses are wood.  Most have a little enclosed front porch where I think people must leave their show boots in the winter.  The town is very neat and clean, but George noticed that a lot of the roofs are in really poor repair, probably 1/3 needing urgent replacement. 

We went back to the ship for lunch as there weren’t a lot of options in town.  La Veranda had Moroccan and Middle Eastern food, and it was delicious.  Hummus, lamb skewers, couscous, a soup made with almonds and veggies, feta cheese—all so good.

We took the shuttle back to town and went to a wooded park around a lake that is right in town, but you would never realize that once in the park.  You could be far out in the woods.  It was quiet and so pleasant with the sun 

Back to the ship, we again placed 2nd at trivia.  Questions were very hard today.  Out of a total of 18 possible points, the winning team got 9.  We had 8.

We sailed out of port to go west to avoid the storm.  It was still brilliantly sunny.  The proposed course is to take us west aways, then allow the storm to pass to the north.  We’ll see how that works out.

Dinner in compass rose was delicious.  I had a mixed bag of crab spring roll, Moroccan duck soup, and lamb curry.  All very nice.  Then topped off with a coffee soufflé.

The show was Tuxedo, a sort of big band/Broadway type production.  Just my thing and I enjoyed everything about it.

• Like 10

Thank you for your daily updates. We will be on Navigator this November for the Amazon River. What time are the evening shows? We like a leisurely dinner and  then the show each night. We are planing on pre -diinner cocktails at 6pm them dinner at 7pm. Will that allow us to enjoy dinner then go to the show room?

Thank again for your updates.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wvacations said:

Thank you for your daily updates. We will be on Navigator this November for the Amazon River. What time are the evening shows? We like a leisurely dinner and  then the show each night. We are planing on pre -diinner cocktails at 6pm them dinner at 7pm. Will that allow us to enjoy dinner then go to the show room?

Thank again for your updates.

We usually have drinks at 6 then dinner at 7.  Show is at 9:30 and there is plenty of time.

September 24, 2022–at sea avoiding Hurricane Fiona

When we awoke, the sea was rolling some, and it was very grey outside, but not raining.  I could see land in the far distance though no idea what land.  Apparently we are anchored.  We had a leisurely breakfast in La Veranda as we had no pressing appointments.

It was way too windy, very gusty, to walk on the top deck.  I tried to go around once, felt in fear for my life, and gave up.  Tried to work some online but the internet was so slow, it was just an exercise in frustration.

So a bit about the ship.  Some people hate the Navigator, claiming she is too old, outdated, and vibrates too much.  George and I quite like her.  Yes, there is some vibration, particularly aft, but none in our mid ships suite on deck 6.

Yes, there are fewer dining venues, but quality of food and service is very high.  Since the ship is smaller,you get to know the crew more easily.  And we just prefer the smaller size in general.  They have created a nice coffee connection area on deck 6 mid ships, and it is a quick convenient walk from our suite.

The theater remains probably my favorite of any ship.  There literally is not a bad seat in the house.

There is still the same old dog barf carpet in the hallways—they must have gotten a good deal years ago and bought out the entire factory.  But Prime 7 and Galileo’s have new furniture since last time we were on and are beautiful, as is Compass Rose.

The regular suites are adequate though the shower is tiny.  I am not a large person and feel cramped.  All the suites still have separate tub and showers.  There is plenty of storage.  There are also plenty of electric outlets, but no USB ports.

La Veranda can be very crowded during peak times, particularly when it is too cold to sit outside, and the area at the buffet is pretty tight.  The pool deck has lots of seating.  There is a small walking track around on the deck above the pool, but I haven’t been able to use it yet.

We went to the shop which was having a sale.  I bought 4 nice shirts for George for $106 which was a great deal.  Then we played bingo, and did not win.

We had the connoisseur wine lunch scheduled, and it did not disappoint.  Excellent wines from the premium list and food to match.  I definitely recommend.

We had a nap then went to trivia where we won.  I then attempted another walk around the top deck, this with more success as it wasn’t as windy.

Tonight was the captain’s welcome then Ray did a pre dinner show.  We missed the first part as we were face timing with our grandson, and a 17 month old definitely takes priority, but Ray’s show was great.

Dinner in Compass Rose was a mixed bag.  We both had the asparagus soup, which is always great, and a tomato salad, also excellent.  I had a vegetarian curry dish, which was good , but they forgot my rice and my extra sambal, and once they brought the food, there was no waiter to be seen.  So it was bland.  George’s lobster was seriously over cooked, but again, no waiter to be seen.  

There was a movie tonight, but I wasn’t staying up for that as the clocks are set forward an hour.  The ship is now moving again and things are really rocking and rolling.

• Like 4

Just to let you know how much I enjoy your post—-it’s great to have someone report the great and good, but still reports the not so good.  All in all it sounds like a wonderful cruise, enjoy.  Thank you for taking the time from your trip to post.

• Like 1

Thank you for your contined reports, and for sharing your thoughts on the Navigator.  We've only been aboard Navigator once (and another booked), but I think you are spot-on.  

Hope you have smooth sailing for the remainder of your cruise.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 2:09 PM, claranda said:

Just being picky…but it is/was Her Majesty; HRH is the next step down, the one denied to Harry and Meghan! But let’s NOT start on about them…..🤑

I humbly beseech your pardon. I should know better, having an ancestor who came over in 1066 with William.

September 25,2022–still at sea having successfully avoided Hurricane Fiona

We were rocking and rolling all night, but in a comfortable way, not in a lash yourself to the bed, everything going crashing way.  So a good sleep.  We had to set the clocks forward a hour.

When I awoke, I wasn’t really sure what time it was because when all the timekeeping devices are electronic, you never know when they will decide to change.  But it was light outside, mostly cloudy but a little sun peeking though.  

I figured out the correct time, did some work, then George and I went to Sunday services led by Ray.  He did a really good job.  By this time, the clouds had dissipated, and I had a walk out on the upper deck.  It was a little windy, but not bad with the sun out.

Bingo at 11–I actually won one round.  Then a leisurely lunch in La Veranda.  The ship was sailing pretty quickly, which meant a lot of vibration in the rear, and then we hit a big bump.  I am not sure what it was, but it shook the whole ship.

Afternoon was spent mostly doing nothing.  I read while George went to the gym.  We went to trivia, and our team won again.

Tonight was the event for the top tier customers.  So we went.  It was hilarious.  It was a movie that Ray made when the crew were stuck on the ship inMarch 2020 due to covid.  The only passenger was the Captain, our elderly friend who was deemed to old and frail to fly from New Zealand to the US.  He is actually in the movie.  Ray reports he is doing well and is healthy.

Then we had dinner in Compass Rose with Ray.  It was loads of fun with his stories of dancing with Ginger Rogers, sailing with Putin, Nelson Mandela, and many other famous people.  Ray had his chance to push Putin off the pier and didn’t take it.  He totally regrets that he didn’t take his chance, but had no way of knowing.  And food for dinner was delicious as well.

The comedy show afterwards was very funny.  Even George was entertained.

• Like 11

Glad you are making it through the weather and on the backside, if you will, of Fiona.  Don’t know if you have seen the news about all the damage in Canada along Fiona’s pathway, but lots of homes damaged and washed out to sea.   Big trees down and power out.  Good luck the rest of your trip, and hope you will be able to see as much as you had hoped.  Sounds like you are having a good time, and being stellar at Trivia as usual.

safe travels back to Tulsa town.

• Like 1