Canada dropping Vaccine Requirements.....

BermudaBound2014

This took a bit longer than I expected, but it looks like things will change for Canada in a few weeks:

Canada to make ArriveCan optional, drop COVID-19 vaccine requirement at the border by Sept. 30: sources

image.png.3a031ce935cb4817c8b6b5fe95458dc2.png

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-canada-to-drop-covid-19-vaccine-requirement-for-entering-country-on/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This took a bit longer than I expected, but it looks like things will change for Canada in a few weeks:

Canada to make ArriveCan optional, drop COVID-19 vaccine requirement at the border by Sept. 30: sources

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-canada-to-drop-covid-19-vaccine-requirement-for-entering-country-on/

Wow. I hope this happens! If so, great news.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, bortman23 said:

Technically this is a rumor at this point

As I included in the quote above; four sources have stated this is happening but just awaiting finalization. The news has hit mainstream, so IMO it will be pretty hard to climb back now.

Of course, there can be technicalities for cruise passengers and the cruise lines need to jump onboard and revise their protocols also; but it looks like there is movement in the right direction.

Because covid protocols remain so fluid, passengers really need to check and double check for their particular sailings requirements. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Wonderful news!  Thanks, as always, for the update. 

• Like 1

Fingers crossed that if this passes that it will also remove the mandatory pre-embarkation covid testing for cruise passengers.

I believe that as of now, cruise passengers are the only ones who need a covid test to enter Canada other than those picked for random testing.

As the test is sometimes done on some cruises days before entering Canada, it didn't seem to make much sense.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

As I included in the quote above; four sources have stated this is happening but just awaiting finalization. The news has hit mainstream, so IMO it will be pretty hard to climb back now.

Of course, there can be technicalities for cruise passengers and the cruise lines need to jump onboard and revise their protocols also; but it looks like there is movement in the right direction.

Because covid protocols remain so fluid, passengers really need to check and double check for their particular sailings requirements. 

Didn't say it wasn't likely, but nothing is for sure until it's officially announced.

An interesting question is if the U.S. will drop their own requirement for foreigners to be fully vaccinated to enter the U.S. at the same time.  Even though NCL and other cruise lines have dropped their requirements to be vaccinated, this requirement prevents unvaccinated non-Americans from entering the US to board a cruise. 

15 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Well, even thought this news isn't official yet, the news is making it's way across the headlines today.... all the articles basically say the same thing, but it will be very hard for anyone to walk this back given that the reception has been overwhelmingly positive.

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/canada-drop-covid-vaccine-requirement-entering-country-sept-30-globe-mail-2022-09-20/

From the Reuter's article, as a sample of credibility:  "...The source, who was not authorized to speak on the record..."

Soooooooo........

1 minute ago, EvanBedar said:

From the Reuter's article, as a sample of credibility:  "...The source, who was not authorized to speak on the record..."

Soooooooo........

I agree, until its a final decision it's not a final decision; HOWEVER; all the arrows are pointing in same direction. Heck, this news even made the sports pages along with financial headlines.

Covid protocols are still fluid so we absolutely have to wait for this one to play out; but my money is certainly betting on removed protocols for Canada at the end of the month. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

all the articles basically say the same thing

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

all the arrows are pointing in same direction

Of  course they all say the same thing. Once one media outlet publishes a story others jump on the bandwagon and in a case like this where there's no official corroboration of the story essentially just copy what the first outlet reported.

The number of outlets publishing the information  bears little relationship to the veracity of the reporting.

I'm not saying this story is wrong, but I have seen many that were, or at least had important details that were missing or incorrect.

• Like 1

Just now, njhorseman said:

Of  course they all say the same thing. Once one media outlet publishes a story others jump on the bandwagon and in a case like this where there's no official corroboration of the story essentially just copy what the first outlet reported.

The number of outlets publishing the information  bears little relationship to the veracity of the reporting.

I'm not saying this story is wrong, but I have seen many that were, or at least had important details that were missing or incorrect.

Of course you are correct 🙂 

However; by 'all the arrows pointing in the same direction" I included the fact that Canada is one of the VERY few countries remaining with any protocols at all. Meaning, all the arrows are pointing in the direction of zero vaccine requirements globally 🙂 

Interesting. So, I ordered and paid for two virtual tests from OnPoint Testing.  I was going to reschedule our October tests for Canada and reschedule for Bermuda…however, their calendar function is not available and appointments are now listed as Out of Stock.  I assume they’re reacting to this potential change.  To me it is worth $38 to not test. Now if Bermuda will lift their test requirements….hope.

12 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Interesting. So, I ordered and paid for two virtual tests from OnPoint Testing.  I was going to reschedule our October tests for Canada and reschedule for Bermuda…however, their calendar function is not available and appointments are now listed as Out of Stock.  I assume they’re reacting to this potential change.  To me it is worth $38 to not test. Now if Bermuda will lift their test requirements….hope.

You bought on-line testing and the appointments are "out of stock?"  Time for a refund.  That's why some of us just pay a few pennies more for eMed.

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

You bought on-line testing and the appointments are "out of stock?"  Time for a refund.  That's why some of us just pay a few pennies more for eMed.

We have appointments for October cruise…but maybe no one will be there to proctor…if that’s the case…Amex dispute may be warranted.  I was just hoping to change October time to April.  Also, we have sooo many unopened, unexpired tests it seemed to make sense.  Oh well…si la vie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bortman23 said:

That’s fantastic news, but does anyone have an idea if this also will affect cruises starting in October? 
Current rules for cruises require:

- Proof of Vaccination (using ArriveCan)

- Negative antigen or pcr test