Aurora

Shipsareus

We are considering  a cruise on Aurora, having sailed on her many times, but not recently. Friends have just returned and had the following observations. They had a balcony on C deck and felt it looked very tired and the punk bathroom dates it even more.Around the ship gaffer tape was in evidence. Menus were more limited. There appeared to be staff shortages. Men without tops in the buffet. Entertainment was same old, same old with a couple of exceptions.

They thought the public areas had been well refreshed and the boys and girls entertainers were excellent.

Just wondering if others who have travelled recently have had similar, or differing experiences.

Aurora is such a lovely ship and we have many happy memories of sailing on her, but would like to hear what others think about her now.

Many thanks

5 minutes ago, Shipsareus said:

We are considering  a cruise on Aurora, having sailed on her many times, but not recently. Friends have just returned and had the following observations. They had a balcony on C deck and felt it looked very tired and the punk bathroom dates it even more.Around the ship gaffer tape was in evidence. Menus were more limited. There appeared to be staff shortages. Men without tops in the buffet. Entertainment was same old, same old with a couple of exceptions.

They thought the public areas had been well refreshed and the boys and girls entertainers were excellent.

Just wondering if others who have travelled recently have had similar, or differing experiences.

Aurora is such a lovely ship and we have many happy memories of sailing on her, but would like to hear what others think about her now.

Many thanks

Have a look at Britboys post (about 10 down from this titled “Back from Aurora”) as he has just got off and posted his review..

I love Aurora and have friends currently on board and waiting to hear their thoughts at some point.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Shipsareus said:

Many thanks

Agree the pink bathrooms aren’t a patch on the  Iona bathrooms BUT weighing up the medium ship benefits of Aurora and other current issues it still wins hands down in my opinion.  

• Like 4

I am considering a cruise on Aurora for the first time next year as a solo traveller.

Looking at the deck plan the single balcony cabins are on D deck aft near the terrace pool, it looks like they actually open out onto the terrace and I have read on the Net that they have steel fronted balconies. Any advise on this?

Perhaps it might be better for me to choose a standard balcony cabin. Are there any standard balcony cabins I should avoid, would leaving cabin location to chance with an Early Saver Fare be OK, or should I choose a Select fare?

TIA

Paul

6 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Have a look at Britboys post (about 10 down from this titled “Back from Aurora”) as he has just got off and posted his review..

I love Aurora and have friends currently on board and waiting to hear their thoughts at some point.

Many thanks for that. I’ve had a look. It is interesting to see different points of view.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GOQ said:

I am considering a cruise on Aurora for the first time next year as a solo traveller.

Looking at the deck plan the single balcony cabins are on D deck aft near the terrace pool, it looks like they actually open out onto the terrace and I have read on the Net that they have steel fronted balconies. Any advise on this?

Perhaps it might be better for me to choose a standard balcony cabin. Are there any standard balcony cabins I should avoid, would leaving cabin location to chance with an Early Saver Fare be OK, or should I choose a Select fare?

TIA

Paul

Sorry Paul I can't help with single cabin questions but I don't think there are any cabins that open onto the pool/terraces at the back of Aurora - in fact I'm 99.9% sure there aren't.

If you choose a cabin towards the aft, even an inside, the 'tiers' are all lined with chairs and tables and a really nice place to sit.

Edited by Waju
sp
  • Like 2

On 9/21/2022 at 6:36 PM, Waju said:

Sorry Paul I can't help with single cabin questions but I don't think there are any cabins that open onto the pool/terraces at the back of Aurora - in fact I'm 99.9% sure there aren't.

If you choose a cabin towards the aft, even an inside, the 'tiers' are all lined with chairs and tables and a really nice place to sit.

My Dad had C102 on Aurora some years ago and loved it. It is right at the front and the window looks out onto a deck - to which he had no access, but was very pleasant and comfortable.

I'm also considering Aurora (R305) as a single.  Unfortunately my budget won't stretch to a balcony so I've been looking at outside.  The starting price for a saver fare is £3166 - options in area are fed at this price through all ranges to large outside at £3998 (no area mentioned for these).

The select fare starts at £3969 with £340 OBC.  Prices rise rapidly from there to a deck C cabin at £4829.  

I've never sailed Aurora but am attracted to this itinerary and have some FCC to use.   Are there horrendous outside cabins on the ship which would be entirely awful as these huge leaps for picking a cabin are making me think I should take the risk.

I note Shipsareus' comments re C102 and this is available as a select at £4029.

Any help much appreciated, also regarding port accessibility with/without buses although I doubt these will cost the £463 difference from a forward saver to select.

Thank you.

28 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm also considering Aurora (R305) as a single.  Unfortunately my budget won't stretch to a balcony so I've been looking at outside.  The starting price for a saver fare is £3166 - options in area are fed at this price through all ranges to large outside at £3998 (no area mentioned for these).

The select fare starts at £3969 with £340 OBC.  Prices rise rapidly from there to a deck C cabin at £4829.  

I've never sailed Aurora but am attracted to this itinerary and have some FCC to use.   Are there horrendous outside cabins on the ship which would be entirely awful as these huge leaps for picking a cabin are making me think I should take the risk.

I note Shipsareus' comments re C102 and this is available as a select at £4029.

Any help much appreciated, also regarding port accessibility with/without buses although I doubt these will cost the £463 difference from a forward saver to select.

Thank you.

I’ve had single occupancy in outside cabins on D & E decks. I’m not aware of horrendous cabins but I believe there is a you know what site for peoples opinions on P&O cabins across the fleet.
D deck cabins I’ve had cabins between D190 to D154 and all excellent and quiet.

E deck cabins (always had E165 altho friends were dotted around on that deck). Great cabins and the only negative I would say was after 8am you can hear people walking the Prom deck above and then sometimes heels on the wooden deck late at night.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 8:04 AM, Shipsareus said:

Many thanks

Sounds like your friends had a Johnny Rotten bathroom ?

• Haha 4

On 9/21/2022 at 11:26 AM, GOQ said:

TIA

Paul

Having cruised solo on Aurora many times I would recommend  solo occupied double balcony 

6 hours ago, Shipsareus said:

My Dad had C102 on Aurora some years ago and loved it. It is right at the front and the window looks out onto a deck - to which he had no access, but was very pleasant and comfortable.

I've been in that cabin too, and liked it. The only downside is that noise leaks up from the theatre when shows with music are on. The corresponding cabin two decks up, A102, is better from that POV. I suppose in rough seas you would get more motion that you would amidships.

It is possible to get out onto the deck, IIRC, but the entrance is via the corridor on the opposite side of the ship.

Edited by jh1809
fx my typo

RE. staff shortages. This appears to be an ongoing problem with P&O. I am sailing next week (on Azura not Aurora) and a couple of days ago received an email containing the following information;

"As you’ll have seen in the media, and perhaps experienced in many hospitality and leisure venues in the UK, there are currently supply chain challenges as well as global staff shortages and cruise ships are no exception.

Currently, opening days and times in our speciality restaurants may be affected as well as service in some bars on occasion. Please bear with us – your patience is hugely appreciated."

I have however, cruised this year with both Star Clippers and Saga (twice) and in neither case have I been aware of any such problems. Perhaps it is time for P&O to get their act together.

As ou’ll have seen in the media, and perhaps experienced in many hospitality and leisure venues in the UK, there are currently supply chain challenges as well as global staff shortages and cruise ships are no exception.

Currently, opening days and times in our speciality restaurants may be affected as well as service in some bars on occasion. Please bear with us – your patience is hugely appreciated.

As you’ll have seen in the media, and perhaps experienced in many hospitality and leisure venues in the UK, there are currently supply chain challenges as well as global staff shortages and cruise ships are no exception.

Currently, opening days and times in our speciality restaurants may be affected as well as service in some bars on occasion. Please bear with us – your patience is hugely appreciated.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2022 at 7:28 PM, Denarius said:

RE. staff shortages. This appears to be an ongoing problem with P&O. I am sailing next week (on Azura not Aurora) and a couple of days ago received an email containing the following information;

"As you’ll have seen in the media, and perhaps experienced in many hospitality and leisure venues in the UK, there are currently supply chain challenges as well as global staff shortages and cruise ships are no exception.

Currently, opening days and times in our speciality restaurants may be affected as well as service in some bars on occasion. Please bear with us – your patience is hugely appreciated."

I have however, cruised this year with both Star Clippers and Saga (twice) and in neither case have I been aware of any such problems. Perhaps it is time for P&O to get their act together.

As ou’ll have seen in the media, and perhaps experienced in many hospitality and leisure venues in the UK, there are currently supply chain challenges as well as global staff shortages and cruise ships are no exception.

As you’ll have seen in the media, and perhaps experienced in many hospitality and leisure venues in the UK, there are currently supply chain challenges as well as global staff shortages and cruise ships are no exception.

Or charge the same as Star Clippers and/or Saga.

Same as on Celebrity and RC this year. No noticeable issues. Seems to be an P&O issue.

21 hours ago, Trevor Fountain said:

Or charge the same as Star Clippers and/or Saga.

I don't think that the price of cruises is relevant to staff recruitment, unless more expensive lines pay their employees more (I don't know if this is the case). In which case less expensive lines need to consider increasing wages even if this means increasing fares.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

I don't think that the price of cruises is relevant to staff recruitment, unless more expensive lines pay their employees more (I don't know if this is the case). In which case less expensive lines need to consider increasing wages even if this means increasing fares.

No idea what the pay grades are but on Celebrity in June i was told by several staff that recruitment was proving difficult and people were keen to swap to Virgin as the work conditions (own room, shorter hours) were better along with higher pay.

That seems to indicate there are other things apart from pay at work here.

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

No idea what the pay grades are but on Celebrity in June i was told by several staff that recruitment was proving difficult and people were keen to swap to Virgin as the work conditions (own room, shorter hours) were better along with higher pay.

That seems to indicate there are other things apart from pay at work here.

That could well be the case. Unless the pay differential is large people look at the whole package and are often prepared to accept a little less pay in return for better working conditions.

But thinking a little more about this, there could be another factor at play as well. P&O have tended in the past to recruit from India, particularly Goa whereas many of their competitors have recruited from the Phillipines or Indonesia. But P&O have expanded their fleet and thus their staffing requirements substantially in recent years with the introduction of bigger ships. They may be finding it difficult to recruit sufficient staff from their usual source and be having to recruit more from other areas, where they are in competion with others who have an established tradition of recruitment there. I have certainly noticed more non Indian staff of late. Just a thought.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Denarius said:

That could well be the case. Unless the pay differential is large people look at the whole package and are often prepared to accept a little less pay in return for better working conditions.

But thinking a little more about this, there could be another factor at play as well. P&O have tended in the past to recruit from India, particularly Goa whereas many of their competitors have recruited from the Phillipines or Indonesia. But P&O have expanded their fleet and thus their staffing requirements substantially in recent years with the introduction of bigger ships. They may be finding it difficult to recruit sufficient staff from their usual source and be having to recruit more from other areas, where they are in competion with others who have an established tradition of recruitment there. I have certainly noticed more non Indian staff of late. Just a thought.

I also imagine that most staff would be paid in USD ,  not GBP. If that is the case,  P&O's wage bill has suddenly gone up 10%! 

38 minutes ago, Denarius said:

But thinking a little more about this, there could be another factor at play as well. P&O have tended in the past to recruit from India, particularly Goa whereas many of their competitors have recruited from the Phillipines or Indonesia.

Yes, at one time the cabin stewards and dining room waiters were Goanese, the bar waiters were Filipino. I seem to recall P&O sacked all the Filipino's en masse after they demanded higher wages.

I've had the email twice, I think P&O are trying to manage our expectations. It's not just staff shortages, if staff get covid they are in isolation for 10? days. So if there aren't enough chefs or waiting staff with the right skills and training then speciality dining will close. 

On 9/21/2022 at 6:36 PM, Waju said:

Thanks Waju and all you others who have provided advice.

I have booked a Single Balcony cabin on D deck.

I was trying to decide between a double or single balcony when the price of the double balcony (solo occupancy) went up and the single balcony didn't. The difference became £350 so that decided me.

Thanks