Caribbean Princess (CB) - Hurricane Fiona?

voljeep

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

Any current reports / live reports?  Looks like Fiona may head up to Canada/New England in a few days - currently at Cat 3 or 4

safe travels for all on board

and hopefully Grand Turk survived ...

Saw news- Nova Scotia told to prepare for hurricane Friday.

Enchanted is in Halifax today- they have missed 2 ports this week.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, waiting2retire said:

Enchanted is actually in Saint John today, Halifax tomorrow hopefully. 

You are right!  Saw posts on fb- they had a good day in Saint John NB. Several posted their lobster meals.

13 minutes ago, dog said:

So Enchanted is turning around to return to NY, & cancelled Halifax.  3 ports/5 missed this week.  Due to hurricane.

Yup, we turned around within sight of Halifax harbor and are doing 19 kts southward. Seas are still OK though a bit more exciting than earlier this AM. They are supposed to pick up tonight and tomorrow. Curious how the upper deck staff were feverishly strapping down stacks of deck chairs even two days ago.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Yup, we turned around within sight of Halifax harbor and are doing 19 kts southward. Seas are still OK though a bit more exciting than earlier this AM. They are supposed to pick up tonight and tomorrow. Curious how the upper deck staff were feverishly strapping down stacks of deck chairs even two days ago.

That’s a shame.  Weather is one thing we have no control over. 
I hope they give you some FCC’s.

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

how far south, and what is your next 'expected' port?

Fiona wiped out part of the cruise ship dock in Grand Turk on the way up to visit y'all ...

stay safe

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, voljeep said:

how far south, and what is your next 'expected' port?

Fiona wiped out part of the cruise ship dock in Grand Turk on the way up to visit y'all ...

stay safe

I'm actually using CruiseMapper to follow our trajectory, as the ship's own position is not updated very regularly on the TV

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9807126

Our next port stop is back to Brooklyn day after tomorrow.  They presumably can't find us another port stop for tomorrow, so we're "heading home"

• Thanks 2

This has been an unusual hurricane season.  Very quiet (none) August.  September is generally in the Gulf with the Eastern Seaboard usually late in the Hurricane Season (October/November).  There's another major hurricane developing aimed for the Gulf late September (like the 30th).  

Hurricane Faye that brushed California last week.

No Hurricanes in the Western Pacific.

We are on the Silversea WHisper, and just saw the Caribbean Princess leaving Boston Harbor.  Was wondering where it was headed, so came here.   We are staying in Boston until 4 PM Friday, as of now.   They haven't told us where we are going yet.  THe cruise is supposed to end in Quebec on the 30th - not clear what's going to happen.  I can't imagine we'll be able to dock in Halifax or Sydney as planned if Fiona is as strong as predicted.  

• Like 1

Wondering for the 10 day which ends on the 30th where would they reroute them??? We experienced Hurricane Sandy tied to the dock for I think 2 nights, Coast Guard wouldn’t permit ship to continue to Caribbean. A lot of rocking!! My in-laws are on the Caribbean Princess now. Hope everyone is safe.

3 hours ago, jamesbauer said:

Does Princess put people up in NYC for a day so they can catch their regularly scheduled flights.  

Or do the passengers stay on the ship until the cruise would have ended.

Usually when something like this happens, the passengers can either disembark early (at which point their travel arrangements home are up to them.  If they can adjust their flights to earlier times/days, that is fine, but at their cost.)  Or, they can use the ship as their hotel and remain until the normal disembarkation day and use their original travel arrangements home.  But one thing that won't happen is for the passengers to disembark, check in to a NYC hotel and pass the cost on to PCL.  

2 hours ago, Sea and Me said:

Hope everyone is safe.

Several years ago, Anthem of the Seas tried an unwise move sailing through the fringe of a hurricane from Bayonne on the way to the Bahamas.  Plenty of YouTube videos and bad press.  I think that the industry learned its lesson.  People livestreaming videos of flying deck chairs, sliding furniture and smashed glass is not a good look.  So I trust that everyone will be safe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jamesbauer said:

So what happens when the Enchanted arrives in N.Y. a day early. Does Princess put people up in NYC for a day so they can catch their regularly scheduled flights.  

Or do the passengers stay on the ship until the cruise would have ended.

The captain is going to dodge as much of the bad weather as he can and slowly meander back to New York, arriving on Saturday as scheduled. 

Starting to feel the motion of the ocean!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gwesq said:

We are on the Silversea WHisper, and just saw the Caribbean Princess leaving Boston Harbor.  Was wondering where it was headed, so came here.   We are staying in Boston until 4 PM Friday, as of now.   They haven't told us where we are going yet.  THe cruise is supposed to end in Quebec on the 30th - not clear what's going to happen.  I can't imagine we'll be able to dock in Halifax or Sydney as planned if Fiona is as strong as predicted.  

Not sure what boat you saw leave Boston but it wasn’t the Caribbean Princess. I am sitting on board in Boston Harbor looking at your ship. The captain said we would leave tomorrow morning at 9. He didn’t say if we are heading North of South. I don’t think we will leave Boston Harbor. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

Usually when something like this happens, the passengers can either disembark early (at which point their travel arrangements home are up to them.  If they can adjust their flights to earlier times/days, that is fine, but at their cost.)  Or, they can use the ship as their hotel and remain until the normal disembarkation day and use their original travel arrangements home.  But one thing that won't happen is for the passengers to disembark, check in to a NYC hotel and pass the cost on to PCL.  

Several years ago, Anthem of the Seas tried an unwise move sailing through the fringe of a hurricane from Bayonne on the way to the Bahamas.  Plenty of YouTube videos and bad press.  I think that the industry learned its lesson.  People livestreaming videos of flying deck chairs, sliding furniture and smashed glass is not a good look.  So I trust that everyone will be safe.

In September 2019 we were on the Diamond Princess when we saw a weather map in a bar on an excursion. There was a lot of talk and pointing at a cyclone (a cyclone is a hurricane in the Pacific). When we got back on the ship, we got an announcement that we would skip the next port and head directly to Yokohama a day early. Some people got off, most stayed on. We then went out into Tokyo bay and anchored. The cyclone came directly over us and we got a chance to see the eye. It was fabulous and they did not charge any extra for it.  They kept the ship pointed into the wind so there was not a lot of extra motion. When we cracked the balcony door open, the wind effect was very impressive. Everything on the decks was tied down pretty well and it seemed like we did not lose much if anything.

Many years ago crossing the Drake passage into Antarctica, we had hurricane force winds coming from the side along with 30 foot or so swells. You had to hold onto the bed to not fall out and all the shelves in the shops and kitchens were emptied. We had a lot fewer cushions on the deck chairs and the sliding glass doors did not work anymore. No extra charge for that experience either.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ljbryant said:

Not sure what boat you saw leave Boston but it wasn’t the Caribbean Princess. I am sitting on board in Boston Harbor looking at your ship. The captain said we would leave tomorrow morning at 9. He didn’t say if we are heading North of South. I don’t think we will leave Boston Harbor. 

We got turned around - saw you coming in, not going out.  We're leaving at 1 PM, heading to St. John

9 hours ago, NownZen said:

In September 2019 we were on the Diamond Princess when we saw a weather map in a bar on an excursion. There was a lot of talk and pointing at a cyclone (a cyclone is a hurricane in the Pacific). When we got back on the ship, we got an announcement that we would skip the next port and head directly to Yokohama a day early. Some people got off, most stayed on. We then went out into Tokyo bay and anchored. The cyclone came directly over us and we got a chance to see the eye. It was fabulous and they did not charge any extra for it.  They kept the ship pointed into the wind so there was not a lot of extra motion. When we cracked the balcony door open, the wind effect was very impressive. Everything on the decks was tied down pretty well and it seemed like we did not lose much if anything.

Many years ago crossing the Drake passage into Antarctica, we had hurricane force winds coming from the side along with 30 foot or so swells. You had to hold onto the bed to not fall out and all the shelves in the shops and kitchens were emptied. We had a lot fewer cushions on the deck chairs and the sliding glass doors did not work anymore. No extra charge for that experience either.

Wow! Just Wow!

6 hours ago, gwesq said:

We got turned around - saw you coming in, not going out.  We're leaving at 1 PM, heading to St. John

Sailing to Saint John, or St. John’s? Today? The weather at both places looks dreadful. Hard to imagine they would attempt it.😳😳

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gwesq said:

Friday morning now and we are taking the boat out to play in Boston Harbor. We are coming back to Boston to dock at 3 and spend the night. We are not going to Saint John now. Let’s see what tomorrow brings. 

• Like 1

We just disembarked the Caribbean Princess on the 20th in New York.  This cruise is supposed to end in Quebec.  We were getting some height winds on our way down in Charlottetown and missed Sydney because of high wind.  Fiona is headed right for Halifax and will be pretty bad unless conditions change.  I hope you all are having a good time despite missing ports and stay safe!

Bridge cam is showing bound for Halifax.

So maybe it will dock there tomorrow.

I live an hour and a bit outside Halifax and we were lucky.  Halifax is starting clean up, but a lot of trees down and power out.  

However I doubt they will dock in sydney on Monday as it really got hit bad.  It will take awhile to clean up.

Vickie

• Like 1