Canada to make ArriveCan optional, drop vaccine requirement at the border by Sept. 30

gerelmx

36 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I wish they would expanded the ArriveCAN app , it is easier than filling  the info on paper forms on the plane 

If it will be optional, then you would still be able to use it if you wished.

20 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

If it will be optional, then you would still be able to use it if you wished.

Not sure if it applies to passengers entering the country by plane or train. We will know more next week. 

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I wish they would expanded the ArriveCAN app , it is easier than filling  the info on paper forms on the plane 

If you are talking about the declaration form, you still need to do it on top of the ArriveCAN. 😉

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, quickpick said:

If you are talking about the declaration form, you still need to do it on top of the ArriveCAN. 😉

Yes customs declaration is totally different  to Arrive Can.  For sure that's not going anywhere. 😆 

4 hours ago, quickpick said:

Actually, if you fly into YYZ (Toronto), YVR (Vancouver), or YUL (Montreal) you can actually do an Advanced CBSA Declaration on the app so no need for forms.

For me it makes life easier especially since I do a lot of travelling to the US for business, but I understand that not everyone likes it or has had problems using it. 

8 hours ago, cdn_tbird said:

Actually, if you fly into YYZ (Toronto), YVR (Vancouver), or YUL (Montreal) you can actually do an Advanced CBSA Declaration on the app so no need for forms.

For me it makes life easier especially since I do a lot of travelling to the US for business, but I understand that not everyone likes it or has had problems using it. 

Did that last Sunday , it was great , the App works great 

30 seconds to fill out app , and only about 2 minutes to use the terminals at Person to get though customs 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Did that last Sunday , it was great , the App works great 

30 seconds to fill out app , and only about 2 minutes to use the terminals at Person to get though customs 

I just returned to YYZ from Amsterdam NL in August and process took about 15 minutes by the time we arrived in customs hall to exit. And we had a huge full flight.  

13 hours ago, cdn_tbird said:

Are you using NEXUS?

Doing as much as possible ahead of time and having everything completed on my phone (Advanced Declaration, ArriveCan info., Nexus, etc.) is SO much better than sifting through a bunch of paper.  All have a small learning curve/bit of prep., but save time and hassle.  In these days of travel chaos, they're all worth it. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

Are you using NEXUS?

No I don't have nexus it must have been a good day plus only passengers from our flight and another earlier one. There is a long waiting list for nexus applications at the moment. 

25 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

So what happened today (Monday).  Is ArriveCAN now optional as of October 1?

Yes. And no more testing for cruises.

Cruise measures are also being lifted, and travellers will no longer be required to have pre-board tests, be vaccinated, or use ArriveCAN. A set of guidelines will remain to protect passengers and crew, which will align with the approach used in the United States.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/09/government-of-canada-to-remove-covid-19-border-and-travel-measures-effective-october-1.html

Edited by RichYak
  • Like 1

Contacted Celebrity customer service twice today. One said we did not have to test for our October 3 cruise out of Boston to Canada, the other said we did.  Web site info has not changed. It still says test required. Will check every day and hope.  Arrive Canada definitely not required as that was always a Canada thing not the cruise lines. 

25 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

The cruise is too long…Celebrity rules are that tests are required due to length of cruise, regardless of what Canada does.

The difference is that Canada (& therefore Celebrity) required a "proctored" COVID test, but the new Celebrity requirements for this length cruise allows a self test done at home (or wherever) and just bring a picture of the results... no proctored test needed.