Does Port of Tampa close due to severe weather? Thinking about Ian.

jxtgreek

So the latest tracks show Ian making it to Tampa area late Wednesday, early Thursday.  Paradise comes back to Tampa on Thursday morning and leaves late Thursday afternoon for another cruise.  Does anyone know how the port handles things.  It sure would be nice to see some updates from Carnival but thus far nothing for anyone cruising the Caribbean next week.  If anyone has heard anything please shre. 

They will do whatever is needed to keep the ship and passengers safe. If needed, they will stay at sea another day or two, away from the storm, before returning to port. That would delay or cancel the next scheduled cruise, depending on the length of the cruise.  It’s still too early to tell if this point what will happen or where the storm will hit.

I saw MSC cruises sent an email to their passengers on a cruise leaving Port Canaveral on the 29th giving them the option to cancel or move their cruise. I’m sure Carnival will update all of those affected when they know more.

Edited by JT1962

this link will take to the the port's hurricane plan as maintained and executed by the USCG Captain of the Port. This copy is from 2012 but they don't change much and the basic timeline is driven by expected wind speeds ..... https://homeport.uscg.mil/Lists/Content/Attachments/2537/PCIB 03-12 Port Hurricane Condition IV_2.pdf

in general the plan for most any commercial port calls for condition YANKEE when gale force winds are expected within 24 hours and calls for closure to inbound traffic and all vessels over 500 gross tons to have departed unless they have a specific plan to stay approved by COTP. The port stays closed until the storm is past and clear and the port has been inspected for damage and condition of channels and aids to navigation.

Not to add to your worries but the closing of the port of Tampa is not the only concern.  What is your route (where/when is your last port) en route to Tampa?  The hurricane is coming from the south (most likely the western tip of Cuba) - is your ship sailing from Jamaica or the Florida Keys?   As others have noted the captain and cruise line will do everything in their power to keep passengers and their ship safe.

Years ago we were on the Carnival Miracle due to return to Tampa during Hurricane Katrina. They decided to divert to Miami instead and bused us back to Tampa. Which actually worked out OK. Carnival was pretty organized. Though that route did force the ship to squeeze between Katrina and the coast of Cuba, so we were within 90 miles of the eye at one point. But even that wasn't as rough as you'd expect.

Iirc, it turned out the Port of Tampa was open after all, because as we know the storm headed toward New Orleans. But by that time they had already committed to go to Miami.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

NOAA has TS winds getting there Tuesday at 8pm. But NHC also has the storm moving very slow from Wed-Fri, being right in the Tampa area Thursday Morning. Honestly, I don't see how a Thursday sailing is going to happen nor do I see something like a one-day delay.

Not sure what Carnival will do, but given the ships route I don't even think they will take it back to Tampa either stay at sea for extra days and wait until what looks like would need to be late Friday or Saturday or divert to SE Florida. 

The port will be wide open during a Cat 3 or 4 Hurricane. You should have no issues at all. 

In all seriousness, that ship will either return early Wednesday if they can or stay away until Friday or Saturday. The Gulf water is extremely warm and Ian will strengthen to a very strong storm after crossing Cuba.

According to the port's website (https://www.porttb.com) the current port condition is Zulu (closed, gale force winds within 12 hours).

If Hurricane Irma is any indication, during that storm I read that ships already in port headed to sea where it is much easier to ride out a storm.

4 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

In all seriousness, that ship will either return early Wednesday if they can or stay away until Friday or Saturday.

I have seen news where it said 3 cruises that are now out at sea have already changed their itineraries.

The Capt of each vessel certainly does not want to put himself or his passengers into the eye of anything and will do what needs to be done to keep everyone safe.  Right now, Tampa, St Pete, Sarasota, etc........all those Gulf areas are having big evacuation orders.......if the port needs to close? It will certainly do so.

For Port Everglades official website:

Hurricane Ian

The U.S. Coast Guard Captain of the Port (COTP) has notified Port Everglades that Port Condition YANKEE will be set for 8PM today, Tuesday, September 27, 2022. Sustained tropical storm force winds are expected to arrive in South Florida within 24 hours. Port Everglades is currently open for landside and waterside operations. However, vessel traffic may be restricted during periods of high winds and rain. Cruise passengers are recommended to contact their cruise line directly for any updates or itinerary changes.

Added:

I checked the Ships Schedule and there are no multi-day cruise ships in port until October 1 (Allure of the Seas, Celebrity Infinity)

Edited by capriccio

39 minutes ago, capriccio said:

For Port Everglades official website:

Hurricane Ian

The U.S. Coast Guard Captain of the Port (COTP) has notified Port Everglades that Port Condition YANKEE will be set for 8PM today, Tuesday, September 27, 2022. Sustained tropical storm force winds are expected to arrive in South Florida within 24 hours. Port Everglades is currently open for landside and waterside operations. However, vessel traffic may be restricted during periods of high winds and rain. Cruise passengers are recommended to contact their cruise line directly for any updates or itinerary changes.

Added:

I checked the Ships Schedule and there are no multi-day cruise ships in port until October 1 (Allure of the Seas, Celebrity Infinity)

Good to know but I think the original poster was asking about the port of Tampa. 

33 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good to know but I think the original poster was asking about the port of Tampa. 

He/she was but later postings have expanded to include updates on airports (Tampa, Sanford) and I thought I would include the latest Port Everglades news instead of starting a new thread.  If wrong, you can report it to the moderator to be removed or copy it and start a new thread.

Stay safe up there in Jacksonville!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, capriccio said:

He/she was but later postings have expanded to include updates on airports (Tampa, Sanford) and I thought I would include the latest Port Everglades news instead of starting a new thread.  If wrong, you can report it to the moderator to be removed or copy it and start a new thread.

Stay safe up there in Jacksonville!

Thanks😀.........nothing to remove. I realized you were being helpful but too much time went by and could not edit my post.