Gov't of Canada has announced additional travel restrictions being lifted on travel - Oct. 1, 2022

NWT Cruiser

Government of Canada just announced the following new restrictions on travel that are being lifted effective October 1, 2022.

Effective October 1, 2022, all travellers, regardless of citizenship, will no longer have to:

• submit public health information through the ArriveCAN app or website;
  • provide proof of vaccination;
  • undergo pre- or on-arrival testing;
  • carry out COVID-19-related quarantine or isolation;
  • monitor and report if they develop signs or symptoms of COVID-19 upon arriving to Canada.

Transport Canada is also removing existing travel requirements. As of October 1, 2022, travellers will no longer be required to: 

• undergo health checks for travel on air and rail; or
  • wear masks on planes and trains.

Although the masking requirement is being lifted, all travellers are strongly recommended to wear high quality and well-fitted masks during their journeys.

The Government of Canada also reminds travellers to make informed decisions when considering travel outside of Canada to protect their health and safety. They are encouraged to review the travel health notices at https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories for more information on safe travel.

3 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Yes, but what about the Transport's Ministry's orders on cruise travel?

The following is from the same press release that was just announced:

Cruise measures are also being lifted, and travellers will no longer be required to have pre-board tests, be vaccinated, or use ArriveCAN. A set of guidelines will remain to protect passengers and crew, which will align with the approach used in the United States. 

You can see the full release on this site:  https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/government-of-canada-to-remove-covid-19-border-and-travel-measures-effective-october-1-868535689.html

4 minutes ago, NWT Cruiser said:

Thanks. Fortunately, the Canadian cruise season is ending in just weeks. I was on the NS and there was a lot of infection onboard. Desperately coughing people not wearing masks. Resulting in...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2882896-covid-experience-nieuw-statendam-september-7th-–-17th-quebec-city-to-boston/

7 minutes ago, cantgetaname said:

If the cruise I’m on departs September 30 then I still have to do all the testing and stuff though right?

Yes, that appears to be the case, although there are some interesting arguments that could be made in some cases. For example, a Canada-New England cruise departing Boston on September 30 may still call for an ArriveCAN submission, even though by time you actually arrive in Canada, it will no longer be an entry required.

I am reading the press release......Am I missing something? Where does it say cruise requirements will be lifted? I am sailing out of Quebec on Oct 22nd. Will I need to have a Covid Test before my cruise?  (I am fully vaxxed 4 times). 

6 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I am reading the press release......Am I missing something? Where does it say cruise requirements will be lifted? I am sailing out of Quebec on Oct 22nd. Will I need to have a Covid Test before my cruise?  (I am fully vaxxed 4 times). 

Read the Canada news release:

Cruise measures are also being lifted, and travellers will no longer be required to have pre-board tests, be vaccinated, or use ArriveCAN. A set of guidelines will remain to protect passengers and crew, which will align with the approach used in the United States.”

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lois R said:

If you do it will be a cruise line requirement and not a Canada one.  Check with your cruise line I am sure they will be updating the rules in the next few days.

Great news indeed as we are boarding the Noordam in Vancouver on Oct. 2 for a 91 day cruise.  But……. We still will need to be tested when we get in San Diego in accordance with information that was previously received from HAL…. We are still going to test in Vancouver since we had already booked an Antigen test..and for peace of mind….

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Noodles84 said:

So if we are sailing into US waters and ports, we still need to test before sailing? Fine for Canada, but not for USA yet? Nicole

Hi Nicole, that is not how I interpreted the release.......I am sailing from Quebec to NYC..........we don't need to be tested upon arrival now.  Looks like the testing is going away for Canada as well.

"Cruise measures are also being lifted, and travellers will no longer be required to have pre-board tests, be vaccinated, or use ArriveCAN. A set of guidelines will remain to protect passengers and crew, which will align with the approach used in the United States"

57 minutes ago, Noodles84 said:

So if we are sailing into US waters and ports, we still need to test before sailing? Fine for Canada, but not for USA yet? Nicole

Do you need  a covid test to enter the USA?

We leave from Vancouver bound for the US etc. I'm still not convinced we can get on board Royal Caribbean with out a test. And still think we will need to test onboard before our back to back 15 day cruise from LA. 

Unless we hear directly from RC, we are keeping our scheduled Travel test the day before we cruise.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Do you need  a covid test to enter the USA?

We haven't needed a test to enter the country since July.........those requirements were lifted back in the summer.

21 minutes ago, Minnitub said:

We leave from Vancouver bound for the US etc. I'm still not convinced we can get on board Royal Caribbean with out a test. And still think we will need to test onboard before our back to back 15 day cruise from LA. 

Unless we hear directly from RC, we are keeping our scheduled Travel test the day before we cruise.

As Woody mentioned in post #12, check with your cruise line but that press release sure made it sound like Canada will no longer require testing.

1 hour ago, Minnitub said:

HAL has being requiring ArriveCAN submissions, even in situations where there was no Canadian requirement. You are wise to go by what RC decides to do come October 1 and not to base your actions on the changed Canadian policies. 

• Like 2

Thanks, I know we don't need testing for land border crossing or air travel, but thought it was still necessary for cruises departing Canada for USA.  I don't think it was the cruise ship regulation, but Canada's.  I'll keep monitoring the situation. Nicole

13 minutes ago, Noodles84 said:

Thanks, I know we don't need testing for land border crossing or air travel, but thought it was still necessary for cruises departing Canada for USA.  I don't think it was the cruise ship regulation, but Canada's.  I'll keep monitoring the situation. Nicole

Up to Sep30th it is required  but then Oct 1st it is not required by the Canadian government

Cruise lines ??

• Like 1

Think it's past time on dropping all the testing and such, but we have always been a couple of months behind the rest of the world by following our program.  Personally I'm glad the Arrivecan is still around and is optional.  I liked it during our trips, eliminated all the fumbling paperwork and in person questions. I'm still going to carry all my paper testing records and such as well as on my phone just in case.  You still need to keep in mind on destination requirements and cover your bases there.  Slow by steady progress I guess.  

• Like 4

We just received the new RC health safety news. Sounds like we do not need to test on our 5 day cruise from Vancouver to LA, but will still need to test 2 or 3 days onboard, before our B2B 15 day cruise from LA to New Orleans. We are bringing tests with us and hopefully they will accept them, or they will have to arrange the tests themselves. Not sure if we have to pay for that on board.