Passport Question

Merc85

Going on a RCCL cruise out of Vancouver and have a US passport.  The on-line check in system gives me a pop up that says that RCCL strongly recommends having a passport that expires at least six months beyond the end of the cruise.  (Mine is 4 months.)  It lets me check in and gives me my set sea pass. 

Then I downloaded the RCCL App to use on the ship and it states that the passport must expire beyond 6 months after the end of the cruise.

So which is correct.....the on-line check in where it's a recommendation or the App which says it's required?

3 minutes ago, Ashland said:

The online check in is correct...You will be fine...enjoy your cruise !!

Yep, I thought so too but I called the customer service line and the agent told me it was 6 months even after I had her check with her supervisor and other agents three times....weird.

10 minutes ago, Merc85 said:

Yep, I thought so too but I called the customer service line and the agent told me it was 6 months even after I had her check with her supervisor and other agents three times....weird.

Non-North American countries (mostly Europe, Asia, Africa) are strict about the 6 months.  Others, not.

Just now, Merion_Mom said:

Non-North American countries (mostly Europe, Asia, Africa) are strict about the 6 months.  Others, not.

Yes, I saw that too.  But I told the agent I was going into Canada and they aren't strict about that, but she still said I need six months.....just plain silly imo.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Merc85 said:

Yes, I saw that too.  But I told the agent I was going into Canada and they aren't strict about that, but she still said I need six months.....just plain silly imo.

And you will get a totally different answer if you call back. They are notorious for not knowing squat. You will get better info here.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

And you will get a totally different answer if you call back. They are notorious for not knowing squat. You will get better info here.

That's funny.  RCCL is quoting the law, which requires you to have six months remaining.  However, even the official CAN www sites advise it's not enforced.  If they wanted to deny you entry to Canada because you didn't have the six months remaining then they could.  Will they?  Probably not.    

3 hours ago, Merc85 said:

Going on a RCCL cruise out of Vancouver and have a US passport.  The on-line check in system gives me a pop up that says that RCCL strongly recommends having a passport that expires at least six months beyond the end of the cruise.  (Mine is 4 months.)  It lets me check in and gives me my set sea pass. 

Then I downloaded the RCCL App to use on the ship and it states that the passport must expire beyond 6 months after the end of the cruise.

So which is correct.....the on-line check in where it's a recommendation or the App which says it's required?

For your sailing 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-travel-documents-are-required-for-cruises-from-non-united-states-ports

The following requirements are for sailings from a non-United States port to Europe, South America, Australia/New Zealand, Dubai/Emirates, Asia, and Alaska sailings from Vancouver.

• All travelers, including children, require a valid passport. For your protection, your passport should have at least 6 months validity from the end of your cruise expiration.

BUT,,,

Most airlines require that your passport be valid for at least 6 months from date of flight. So, review your airline minimum requirements before you decide you are "safe" with a 4 month passport.