Prima: Why rename Garden Cafe and Teppanyaki ?

fstuff1

13 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Ha ha, good one.  Personally (and stuff like this is very subjective) I like the new names.  They seem a bit more contemporary.  I don't see anything negative or "inane" in the OP bringing up a topic for light, pleasant  conversation.  Even here on CC there is no need for every thread to turn into an obnoxious controversy.

I agree....I needed to edit that post a little but it wouldn't let me, but you got my drift! I realize that sometimes there are legitimate complaints but some of the others are so petty. What's in a name? Unless you are giving your kid a life long embarrassing name....the name of a restaurant effects my life about as much as a 'left-over' fly in January. :classic_biggrin: 

Edited by uneamie

4 minutes ago, uneamie said:

...the name of a restaurant effects my life about as much as a 'left-over' fly in January. :classic_biggrin: 

Just FYI those flies lying motionless on their backs in the window tracks in January .... are the source of new flies in May.

They're not dead.   They're hibernating.  Warm one up in your hands.  You'll throw up in your mouth a little.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

Just FYI those flies lying motionless on their backs in the window tracks in January .... are the source of new flies in May.

They're not dead.   They're hibernating.  Warm one up in your hands.  You'll throw up in your mouth a little.

I will remember that next time I see any....and here I thought their life's mission was over. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, dexddd said:

Maybe because buffet implies a larger venue vs Cafe a smaller venue like that on Prima.

The TV on Prima was still calling it Teppanyaki.

ahh.. good point.

hence the name change.

now that makes sense.

wished ncl would come out and say things like this

The PRIMA class ships are the first vessels designed and built ground up under Frank Del Rio's leadership of NCLH.  It is the first vessel launched under Harry Sommers Leader as President of NCL.  They most likely wanted to put their "stamp" on the vessels with unique naming for venues comparable to those on ships of yore to make the PRIMA seem new and exciting.  A name is a name, what does it really matter??????  Variety is good!

13 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

ahh.. good point.

hence the name change.

now that makes sense.

wished ncl would come out and say things like this

Well, another misnomer.  Indulge Food Hall.  To me, Hall implies a large venue.  The place on Prima has little seating, they should have called it Indulge Food Cafe.

The buffet name change also probably trying to upscale things.

• Haha 1

On 9/28/2022 at 1:47 PM, Karaboudjan said:

There's no garden there?  I always thought that didn't make a lot of sense.  Surfside seems more nautical.

On 9/28/2022 at 1:48 PM, shof515 said:

onboard NCL ships, there is no garden inside the garden cafe 

I can't be the only one who remembers when the Garden Cafe was 100% garden-themed? I sailed on the Gem and Pearl before their refits, and there were tacky silk flowers EVERYWHERE (except for the bordello-themed nightclub/bowling alley). 

1873713049_GardenCafe.thumb.jpg.3dd3e06d7010f0f5b175d77713b899c2.jpgncl_Pearl_Rstrnt_GardenCafe.jpg.c7a58d1890ef8d6fd170c2a63bbbe668.jpg556-gardencafe.thumb.jpg.2d270a046ac2d7be6cdec9bcab0fe6d7.jpgship_319_great-outdoors_960x720.jpg.ed1b8dd36acb1eaf9c1f4739db745ef5.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dexddd said:

Well, another misnomer.  Indulge Food Hall.  To me, Hall implies a large venue.  The place on Prima has little seating, they should have called it Indulge Food Cafe. The buffet name change also probably trying to upscale things.

image.thumb.png.ea30c77df58255e818a6821364b989b8.png

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

image.thumb.png.ea30c77df58255e818a6821364b989b8.png

Not sure your point.  I saw all that seating outside but someone pointed out that sailed before us you can't order food outside.  On our 12 days we did not see service outside for food but the weather was also not good most days.  The inside seating is very limited.  Oh, find a seat at say the lettuce station if lucky, can only order from that venue.

Plus the outside area has not many tables where you can really eat. Only the ones along the glass front of the Indulge Food Hall have tables where you can eat. All other furniture are loungers or sofas with pretty small tables.

steamboats

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 10:20 AM, fstuff1 said:

The buffet Garden Cafe was renamed Surfside Cafe.

Teppanyaki  was rename Hasuki.

And it could be argued that OceanBlue was renamed Palomar.

At a minimum, why rename the Garden Cafe?

Because they don’t want to confuse the substandard Surfside  with a real buffet. 

30 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Because they don’t want to confuse the substandard Surfside  with a real buffet. 

after sailing on Prima, that's a good explanation.

they should have named it mini-buffet or at least added that wording

Edited by fstuff1

On 10/3/2022 at 8:45 AM, MotownVoice said:

Read this 20 minutes ago. Just put the vacuum away. Nope. Just nope. (Thanks for the tip.)

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

after sailing on Prima, that's a good explanation.

they should have named it mini-buffet or at least added that wording

It’s not so much the size. I remind people that you could compare the Prima to a Jewel class ship versus a breakaway+. It is much smaller ship than the Escape/Bliss/Joy/Encore. But they have played this game with moving a lot of the “normal” buffet items to the Food Hall. 

On 9/28/2022 at 1:20 PM, fstuff1 said:

The buffet Garden Cafe was renamed Surfside Cafe.

Teppanyaki  was rename Hasuki.

And it could be argued that OceanBlue was renamed Palomar.

At a minimum, why rename the Garden Cafe?

Does it really matter?  Maybe NCL just decided it was time for a change!