What Item Do You Bring That Is Essential?

LindaD22

Retired in May...by the end of this May I will have spent about 5 months traveling over the last year.--solo, with Dh, with BFF. Mostly cruises.

We did carry On & personal item each for 7 day AK cruise & 3 nights pre/post cruise. It was truly freeing & I now know that I can do it anywhere should I need to or want to. We usually fly SWA domestically so I can be lazy about that.

#1--Capsule wardrobe. Resists wrinkles, packs small, hand washable. 

All tops go with all bottoms. Black wrap no matter season.

Travel Fashion Girl (You Tube, FB & blog) has been fantastic helping me do this.

Shoes: walking shoe, "dress" shoe & one other depending on travel needs (boot or sandal typically)

Away Bigger carry on usually but bought a TravelPro maxlite 5 for upcoming Europe trip as I am solo & will need to navigate trains & such.

#2--Backpack holds ipad, all cords (tucked in a cosmetic pouch), meds (lovely little container easily holds all my prescription meds plus ibuprofen/tylenol, picutred below), jewelry (compact container pictured below; or little draw string bags when I need to go lighter), extra glasses, snacks

#3--Small light crossbody bag to carry my phone, cruise card, lip balm

#4--bag of cold meds/cough drops---this is a new addition since COVID, JUST in case

Found hooks/over door organizer made room look messy to me. I always find plenty of room for everything (I have hanging toiletry bag for bathroom; once on the ship I move all my makeup into my liquids bag & keep it in the drawer at the desk with a mirror in the room. 

Plenty of sunscreen essential if warm weather cruising.

Alarm clock & flashlight? Both on my phone.

Many cruise ships do not have plugs by the phone. 

2 ESSENTIALS:

1--exterior phone charger. I use this to charge my phone by the bed then recharge the charger during the day

2--EU travel adapter. I originally had a regular one but realized it took up one of the plugs in the room! This one goes into the round EU plug leaving the others free. Esssential when traveling with others, especially in older ships. (pictured below)

I try only to bring things I KNOW I will wear or use; I can buy anything else.

Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 12.39.09 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 12.39.45 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 12.42.01 PM.png

Edited by KKB
  • Like 3

On 2/1/2023 at 10:35 AM, MJC said:

I have an Army Knife app on my phone that uses the flash as a flashlight. It also has a small ruler, metric converter, and other useful things.

I use my tablet for email, movies, and music, which also has Libby on it for library books. So I don't need my laptop or Kindle.

I wonder if you "Army Knife" app is the "App Box" app.  It has a icon of a Swiss Army knife on it.  I've had that one for years and years.  I know have App Box Pro now.  It has a ton of useful tools in there!

• Like 2

On 2/27/2023 at 10:43 AM, KKB said:

Retired in May...by the end of this May I will have spent about 5 months traveling over the last year.--solo, with Dh, with BFF. Mostly cruises.

We did carry On & personal item each for 7 day AK cruise & 3 nights pre/post cruise. It was truly freeing & I now know that I can do it anywhere should I need to or want to. We usually fly SWA domestically so I can be lazy about that.

#1--Capsule wardrobe. Resists wrinkles, packs small, hand washable. 

All tops go with all bottoms. Black wrap no matter season.

Travel Fashion Girl (You Tube, FB & blog) has been fantastic helping me do this.

Shoes: walking shoe, "dress" shoe & one other depending on travel needs (boot or sandal typically)

Away Bigger carry on usually but bought a TravelPro maxlite 5 for upcoming Europe trip as I am solo & will need to navigate trains & such.

#2--Backpack holds ipad, all cords (tucked in a cosmetic pouch), meds (lovely little container easily holds all my prescription meds plus ibuprofen/tylenol, picutred below), jewelry (compact container pictured below; or little draw string bags when I need to go lighter), extra glasses, snacks

#3--Small light crossbody bag to carry my phone, cruise card, lip balm

#4--bag of cold meds/cough drops---this is a new addition since COVID, JUST in case

Found hooks/over door organizer made room look messy to me. I always find plenty of room for everything (I have hanging toiletry bag for bathroom; once on the ship I move all my makeup into my liquids bag & keep it in the drawer at the desk with a mirror in the room. 

Plenty of sunscreen essential if warm weather cruising.

Alarm clock & flashlight? Both on my phone.

Many cruise ships do not have plugs by the phone. 

2 ESSENTIALS:

1--exterior phone charger. I use this to charge my phone by the bed then recharge the charger during the day

2--EU travel adapter. I originally had a regular one but realized it took up one of the plugs in the room! This one goes into the round EU plug leaving the others free. Esssential when traveling with others, especially in older ships. (pictured below)

I try only to bring things I KNOW I will wear or use; I can buy anything else.

Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 12.39.09 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 12.39.45 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 12.42.01 PM.png

Do you have a link for the little pill things in the above picture?

13 hours ago, aungrl said:

Thank you!  It looks perfect.

I actually bought 2 & keep my most worn jewelry in them. No more having to search the big jewelry box when I want a favorite pair of earrings or a necklace  

• Like 1

For a conference last year I splurged on the Cadence capsules and after using them, really love them.  I love that they are magnetic so they stay together on a counter or in the shower, or in my bag. I have some for pills, creams, jewelry, etc.  They aren't huge, so I don't use them for shampoo or conditioner but have used them for toothpaste, shave cream, etc.  But I used them well for a week away, and everything stayed cleaned and organized.  It helped I was frustrated with my travel containers so needed something new but as we like to travel without checking bags, these worked for me.  For shampoo/conditioner I try to stick to what I normally use but I can always get travel sizes when I'm buying new bottles for the house so I bring those and then toss them as I finish them. https://keepyourcadence.com/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

For a conference last year I splurged on the Cadence capsules and after using them, really love them.  I love that they are magnetic so they stay together on a counter or in the shower, or in my bag. I have some for pills, creams, jewelry, etc.  They aren't huge, so I don't use them for shampoo or conditioner but have used them for toothpaste, shave cream, etc.  But I used them well for a week away, and everything stayed cleaned and organized.  It helped I was frustrated with my travel containers so needed something new but as we like to travel without checking bags, these worked for me.  For shampoo/conditioner I try to stick to what I normally use but I can always get travel sizes when I'm buying new bottles for the house so I bring those and then toss them as I finish them. https://keepyourcadence.com/

These are very cute ... but I have many other uses for $75!  I have been recycling little containers for years, just dump 'em all in a box.  So I can always find the right size for anything.  The wide openings on the Cadence for ease of refilling are great tho.

• Like 1

Just now, jsn55 said:

These are very cute ... but I have many other uses for $75!  I have been recycling little containers for years, just dump 'em all in a box.  So I can always find the right size for anything.  The wide openings on the Cadence for ease of refilling are great tho.

Ha, yep, they were a splurge since the mix of containers I had were driving me crazy either not being easy to clean, or taking up too much space in my quest to minimize!  

• Like 2

Loving this thread, some great travel tips.

I'll be travelling to the US and spending a week in Las Vegas, San Diego and LA before embarking on a 6 nights cruise to Vancouver then spending 3 nights there before flying home so need to include lighter and warmer clothes so plan on doing laundry in San Diego and on the ship or wait until in Vancouver as our suite hotel has a washing machine and tumble dryer in our suite.

I need to get a new lightweight dressy black trousers and have a number of dressy tops to pair with it.  I'll wear my trainers travelling, pack a dressy flat black pair and flat sandals.  I stuff packed shoes with socks to utilise space and it helps the shoes keep their shape.  I use hotel shower caps to cover shoes to keep everything clean.

I pack travel size toiletries and have mini clear plastic bottles and tubs to decant my regular products and keep in a toiletry bag along with sachets of dioralyte, plasters, compeed blister plasters and cold sore patches, tweezers and travel size hairbrush toothpaste and toothbrush.

I line my luggage with plastic bags and have kept the clear plastic bags clothes are returned in from the dry cleaners to pack outfits in as it reduces creases.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Deisemum said:

Loving this thread, some great travel tips.

I'll be travelling to the US and spending a week in Las Vegas, San Diego and LA before embarking on a 6 nights cruise to Vancouver then spending 3 nights there before flying home so need to include lighter and warmer clothes so plan on doing laundry in San Diego and on the ship or wait until in Vancouver as our suite hotel has a washing machine and tumble dryer in our suite.

I need to get a new lightweight dressy black trousers and have a number of dressy tops to pair with it.  I'll wear my trainers travelling, pack a dressy flat black pair and flat sandals.  I stuff packed shoes with socks to utilise space and it helps the shoes keep their shape.  I use hotel shower caps to cover shoes to keep everything clean.

I pack travel size toiletries and have mini clear plastic bottles and tubs to decant my regular products and keep in a toiletry bag along with sachets of dioralyte, plasters, compeed blister plasters and cold sore patches, tweezers and travel size hairbrush toothpaste and toothbrush.

I line my luggage with plastic bags and have kept the clear plastic bags clothes are returned in from the dry cleaners to pack outfits in as it reduces creases.

WOW...sounds like you are going to have a wonderful trip😀 wishing you safe and Uneventful flights!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2023 at 10:57 AM, conwakr said:

Apple Air Tags is my newest addition to the travel "kit." 

Definitely. We were on a plane from Denver to Ft Lauderdale in December. My husband’s tag showed his case was on board. Mine still showed as at checkin. All of a sudden the Captain came on & said we’re waiting for a couple of forgotten bags. Sure enough, my tag started moving at a rather rapid rate. Here comes the baggage truck, my bag & 3 others get loaded & my app says your bag has joined you. The flight attendant standing behind me said, I’m buying that as soon as we land in FL!  We left one in our vehicle in the airport garage & it was helpful finding the car when we hot back

51 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Definitely. We were on a plane from Denver to Ft Lauderdale in December. My husband’s tag showed his case was on board. Mine still showed as at checkin. All of a sudden the Captain came on & said we’re waiting for a couple of forgotten bags. Sure enough, my tag started moving at a rather rapid rate. Here comes the baggage truck, my bag & 3 others get loaded & my app says your bag has joined you. The flight attendant standing behind me said, I’m buying that as soon as we land in FL!  We left one in our vehicle in the airport garage & it was helpful finding the car when we hot back

Oh great idea to leave one in your vehicle! A few years ago we spent 20 minutes hoofing around a parking garage because I forgot where I parked! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, conwakr said:

Oh great idea to leave one in your vehicle! A few years ago we spent 20 minutes hoofing around a parking garage because I forgot where I parked! 

We always take a picture of the numbers /letters /whatever identifier near our parking spot. 

My daughter and her husband have a different method:  They always head to the top level of any parking deck so they don't have to remember a different spot each time.  

3 hours ago, PilotAlan said:

Two large binder clips.  Great for closing curtains that don't QUITE meet in the middle, to keep the light out.  

We recently had a Promenade View Room -- loved it, by the way -- and our curtains had velcro closures. 

• Like 1