What Item Do You Bring That Is Essential?

LindaD22

On 10/20/2022 at 3:16 PM, 57redbird said:

I use a cosmetic bag that came as a 'gift with purchase'.

Me too, and mine is clear so it's easy to see the item I need. We started packing a small med kit after DH developed a cough in Peru one time, and unknown to us the OTC cough medicine we bought had codeine in it. He slept through our first day of vacation. 

• Like 3

I collect those too and recycle them for this. On my Delta premium economy booking yesterday (returned from Rome), we got a nice Tumi bag with travel essentials inside. The travel essentials were mostly garbage but the little bag is a keeper and just the right size for my laptop charger and (small) mouse.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I collect those too and recycle them for this. On my Delta premium economy booking yesterday (returned from Rome), we got a nice Tumi bag with travel essentials inside. The travel essentials were mostly garbage but the little bag is a keeper and just the right size for my laptop charger and (small) mouse.

That’s a fabulous gift!!  Score

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I agree ... I have a whole box of 'little bags' from flights.  I can dig up a container for almost anything in 2 minutes.  

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 12:32 PM, slidergirl said:

Be sure to keep track of expiration dates and put in new as needed, too!

Good point. 

Hey, I must have 5-6 of those ... perhaps I don't need to buy a new first aid bag.  I'm not sure if I have one that's quite big enough though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Welcome back!

i wonder if those are the old Tumi bags Delta used to give Delta One - i have a couple of those that I do use for chargers & adapters & cables.  On my trip this summer, Delta One had this bag from 'Someone Somewhere'.  it's an eco-socially conscious  business that uses artisans in mexiso to make bags, kind of like Cotopaxi does.  A nice cloth envelope bag, but no zipper.  i'll have to find something to use for it now that i have 2 of them.  When i flew first on Aliatalia back when they were in business, they gave out "gender-specific" amenity bags from Ferragamo.  nice pink zipper bags for women.  They are still in the travel closet, waiting for assignment.  

• Like 1

I don't remember where I read this (sorry if it's a repeat)....instead of bringing your prescription meds in their bottles, have your pharmacy just print the labels for them, buy some small (or whatever size you need) zip lock bags, stick the labels on them & add the meds.....for OTC's just write on the baggie what they are.   Takes up a lot less room.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 57redbird said:

I don't remember where I read this (sorry if it's a repeat)....instead of bringing your prescription meds in their bottles, have your pharmacy just print the labels for them, buy some small (or whatever size you need) zip lock bags, stick the labels on them & add the meds.....for OTC's just write on the baggie what they are.   Takes up a lot less room.

I used these mini ziploc bags for my daily vitamins and meds on our last cruise. They worked out great because each packet held one day’s worth; once done, the bag is tossed. Less to bring back home and easy to fit in my luggage. 

image.png

Edited by LindaD22
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, LindaD22 said:

I used these mini ziploc bags for my daily vitamins and meds on our last cruise. They worked out great because each packet held one day’s worth; once done, the bag is tossed. Less to bring back home and easy to fit in my luggage. 

image.png

This is what I use also 

• Like 1

I travel with a lot of just in case prescription meds.  DH has 2 different kinds of antibiotics I need to keep on hand. Small amount of pain meds. Muscle relaxer.  I put them in those small plastic pill pouches and take the prescription label off the bottle and place on the pill pouch bag.  I put all these in a small gift with purchase make up bag and they stay with us or in the safe.  He has needed them and saved us a trip to the ER.  So far this has worked overseas.  FYI. Be sure to read how much pain medication you can bring into the country you’ll be in.  Many say 3 days worth so that’s all we would bring. 

My essential would be my small sound machine.  It’s less then 3x3 inches and usb powered.  I can’t sleep otherwise.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I travel with a lot of just in case prescription meds.  DH has 2 different kinds of antibiotics I need to keep on hand. Small amount of pain meds. Muscle relaxer.  I put them in those small plastic pill pouches and take the prescription label off the bottle and place on the pill pouch bag.  I put all these in a small gift with purchase make up bag and they stay with us or in the safe.  He has needed them and saved us a trip to the ER.  So far this has worked overseas.  FYI. Be sure to read how much pain medication you can bring into the country you’ll be in.  Many say 3 days worth so that’s all we would bring. 

My essential would be my small sound machine.  It’s less then 3x3 inches and usb powered.  I can’t sleep otherwise.  

I'm with you, couldn't possibly sleep without the sound machine.  I was delighted to find out that you just download an app on your phone and it's a GREAT sound machine ... one less item to pack. 

• Like 1

My essential is a small crossbody that rountinely holds my iPad and any miscellaneous items (program, guidebooks, etc).  When flying or on embarkation day it also holds a charger (for iPad and phone), small bag with 6 Tylenol and 6 Tums and a couple bandaids.  Plus a small packing cube with a spare pair of underwear, ankle socks, jogging shorts, t-shirt, toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, and deodorant go in it.  

You only have to have the airline delay your bags once to understand the need.  Or get caught in the rain and be soaked on embarkation day, or spill a coffee on yourself, or whatever.  Being able to put on dry or clean clothes rather being miserable waiting for your luggage is a good thing.  

• Like 6

Wow I love the topic! I’ve gotten a lot of great ideas.

For me, I love my accessories (earrings, necklaces etc.) and have a great flat roll up jewelry organizer with a hanging hook that goes on all my trips- it’s one of my favorite things. It easily fits in my personal item. 

I also have a small “laundry needs” bag-

a leftover cosmetic bag that I have a small roll-up hanging laundry line I got at Daiso, a small container of powdered tide, stain wipes, safety pins, a sheet of moleskin, a tiny tube of superglue, a matchbook sized sewing kit and a small pair of scissors. I wash and hang dry my underwear almost daily- I can’t stand dirty underwear lying around and the rest of it has saved me (and my husband) from stains and various other wardrobe malfunctions. Guess I need to add a pencil with some duct tape!

Totally also agree with a small first aid kit- also a lifesaver if you get an upset stomach, seasickness  or a cold. It’s important to check dates and restock as needed before each trip!

I have sensitive skin so always use all my own skin/hair products- I keep a set in their own small travel containers ready to go at all times. (Daiso is great for these type of containers, too).

1 hour ago, CCruiser08 said:

Wow I love the topic! I’ve gotten a lot of great ideas.

For me, I love my accessories (earrings, necklaces etc.) and have a great flat roll up jewelry organizer with a hanging hook that goes on all my trips- it’s one of my favorite things. It easily fits in my personal item. 

I love that jewelry organizer, very compact yet looks like it holds a lot (on my way to Amazon now …)

• Like 1

Thank you, LindaD, for the great topic. I'm learning all kinds of new, useful tricks!

Sunscreen has always been my issue but, if flying to the port for a tropical type cruise, I buy in port. I have a 3.2 ounce tube for the stuff I use on my face daily, anywhere, so it goes in my 3-1-1 bag. I also have a crushable strawish type hat, it's one of those made with a high SPF material? I wear that outdoors. It's pretty handy with it's adjustable neck strap and I fold it up in my tote while on the plane/car, etc. Got it at Costco and I think I have 5 or 6 in 2 different styles now--one's in my car, one I wear gardening, etc, and the newest (and cleanest, LOL) is saved for travel.

Shoes, as others have said, are the biggest space hogs! I normally wear trainers and pack a pair of Teva's for wet situations and to swap out day to day walking/touring. I also pack a pair of dressier, but low heeled, sandals and ballerina type flats that go with everything. My feet decided they didn't want to walk in heels about 10 years ago, lol! 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the great ideas!

In the past few years when I travel I bring my e Marie travel blanket/ scarf/ shawl which was on Oprah’s favorite things list in 2019.

https://getemarie.com/collections/oprahs-favorite-things/products/travel-scarf?variant=30989189054527

F2936386-EFE2-40FD-BF75-EB949712AF72.thumb.webp.bc2275d7d1631379ca0db830d9793bce.webp

I also like to travel with my LED neck light which I use when my DH wants to sleep and I want to be reading but he doesn’t like much light in the room. (Three different light settings) I use it on the plane, at night outside on the patio/balcony; I hang it on the bedpost if I want to have a temporary nightlight for when I get up in the middle of the night; it’s helpful going into a dark garage or storage space when I don’t want to hold a flash light. My friends use it when they go camping.

image.thumb.jpeg.49864a16d670ecddeace2b42e8d22729.jpeg

On 9/29/2022 at 4:22 PM, jsn55 said:

Looking over this last week on a cruise ship, I'd say the most important non-obvious thing to pack is a tiny flashlight.  I've carried one for years, but didn't really think about it until this thread came up.  Seems like we use it for something every other day. 

I have an Army Knife app on my phone that uses the flash as a flashlight. It also has a small ruler, metric converter, and other useful things.

I use my tablet for email, movies, and music, which also has Libby on it for library books. So I don't need my laptop or Kindle.

Edited by MJC

On 10/24/2022 at 5:23 PM, awhfy said:

This is what I use also 

what a great idea, thanks ladies. I don't take prescription meds, but my husband does and this would be a great way to travel. And since I do take Vitamin D daily, I could use it too!

I bring along an old pair of glasses in case of accidents.  I have a hard time finding glasses that fit properly (kids glasses are too small and adult glasses are too big), so I have a fear being near the railing and my glasses sliding off.  I'm very near sighted and like being able to see more than just colored blobs.  I don't like the eyewear retainers, they make me itch.

KT tape.  I have plantar fasciitis and sometimes still have issues even with proper insoles and footwear if I've been walking too much.  Tape up my foot for some extra support if needed and good to go.

A pair of nail clippers.  Towards the end of a cruise my nails may start breaking (the cruise ship water dries them out so bad) and trim them as soon as I see it start.  Also use them to start the cut on the KT tape.

So many great ideas!  Those little "free" bags seem to multiply like bunnies around here. I use them for everything from my jewelry, make up, first aid, cords... 

I also have some of the dry bags from jujube I use those for pretty much every port day. But, I also take a bunch of baggies in various sizes I keep in my day bag for either wet items, electronics, or I like to take travel size deodorant, comb, hair ties with me to port and excursions. 

A couple of essentials for me is waterproof mascara, 3 minute miracle conditioner and colored lip balm. 

We are going on an 11 day Alaskan cruise in June and I'm mentally trying to reduce what I feel like I'll need.  

• Like 1