Cruising on Halloween—Your thoughts?

momof3cruisers

We went over Halloween one year and there wasn't much going on. A few decorations and a few activities. We dressed up for the costume contest and they started early so we could not participate which was a bummer. They did a few quick dances on the lido and that was it!

I am sailing on the Magic to Bermuda on the 23rd, so I can report back here with an update. Past October crises have included kids trick or treating, adult and children's costume parties, and other activities like Thriller dance lesson classes and such. They also decorate parts of the ship and provide Halloween themed backdrops for the photographers.

we have sailed over halloween once, but on ncl.  i was once Goofy at disneyworld so i went as him, albeit kind of a homemade version.  my wife was cruella deville.  tons of fun.  

i know they showed Beetlejuice on the big screen then had a costume contest.  i'm sure CCL does something similar.  

I was on a Halloween sailing in 2012....went all-out on my costume (or so I thought) but some of the most creative, ingenious and over-the-top individuals rightfully won the prizes.  The individual who I thought truly had the best costume painted himself in green paint and had a free-form, wood curved-shaped base painted in the same color...he'd drop it on the floor and assume an " army man" position like the plastic toys from the 1960s and 1970s.  Very creatively (and well) done!

There was a special dessert offering in the MDR - but the Grand Marnier souffle is so much better.

Edited by Out of Iowa
  • Like 2

Went on a Halloween cruise one year pre-Covid on Sunshine. It was fantastic. Costume party in the atrium was one activity I remember. Everyone dressed up in their costumes for photos around the ship. Very fun.

Going this year on a Disney cruise.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

I have sailed in October a few times but never over the actual holiday. Share what fun things have happened for your previous Halloween cruises. Any can’t miss events? 

We do Halloween on Carnival every year. Would not miss it. The only holiday the cruise line really does up right. Lots of fun and so many fantastic costumes. Many of the crew also dress up. it is a fun day for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We sailed in 2018 on the Miracle for Halloween and loved it. I'll agree the costumes were great and some people go all out. One gentleman was inside a cage he built with gorilla legs and a gorilla body on his back making it look like he was being carried around in a cage by a gorilla. Can't remember if he won or not but heard he needed an entire suitcase dedicated to the costume. 

We loved it so much we booked one in 2020 that was obviously cancelled but will be sailing in just 30 days or so on the Breeze for another Halloween and are looking forward to it.

Edited by VictorWI
typo
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 8:34 AM, Sea Raven said:

I am sailing on the Magic to Bermuda on the 23rd, so I can report back here with an update. Past October crises have included kids trick or treating, adult and children's costume parties, and other activities like Thriller dance lesson classes and such. They also decorate parts of the ship and provide Halloween themed backdrops for the photographers.

We are also on the Magical Magic

the 23rd to  Bermuda. Yeaay!  We've  never been. We've been on 4 Halloween cruises tho, on the actual date. I didn't know they put on events the week  before. Since we get back to Norfolk the 29th,  I hope they maybe do. Lol, it's just an added bonus to a truly Magical  Cruise! 

11 hours ago, mygollie said:

I'm loving the Halloween photos on the cruise! 

I'm sailing in October and didn't plan on taking a costume since I'm packing light as possible, but would I feel left out if I didn't dress up?

You will be fine.  On the last cruise I was on for Halloween, I would say that folks in costume were in the minority.  I am a light packer like you.

• Like 2

We had a great time cruising on Halloween a few years back on the Vista. We did not take costumes, but as others have said, the costumes were very elaborate and creative. There were various decorations throughout the ship, the costume parade and contest and a few special drinks.