Cable car and Toboggan Madeira

Vampiress88

Anyone done this? Is it good? 
Also has anyone done this without going through p&o. 
I’ve looked at it and it seems to be €100ish for the cable car up and two toboggans down but it doesn’t say where to pay for the toboggans or is it turn up and hand them the cash? 
It’s £166 through p&o which is just a bit too pricey, it does include wine tasting etc but only hubby drinks- me and the kids don’t so that’s not really something we want to do. 

11 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Anyone done this? Is it good? 
Also has anyone done this without going through p&o. 
I’ve looked at it and it seems to be €100ish for the cable car up and two toboggans down but it doesn’t say where to pay for the toboggans or is it turn up and hand them the cash? 
It’s £166 through p&o which is just a bit too pricey, it does include wine tasting etc but only hubby drinks- me and the kids don’t so that’s not really something we want to do. 

I went on the P&O tour a few years ago and loved the cable car up and the basket ride down.

Susan Colman recently did it on one of her cruise programmes on Ch5.

Easy to DIY.  Walk to cable car from port, about 15 minute stroll alongbthe prom.  Cable car to Monte, pay for toboggan, walk back to port.

Taxi from the toboggan run to the town centre can be a big rip off, so be aware if you take one.  Agree the price first.

A

Hello, Vamps,   As others have suggested above do this trip DIY,  please find attached current ticket price for the cable car.. The basket ride is a fixed price & they will "slightly" pressure you for the picture of you coming down when you reach the end of the run.  it is onlyhalf way down , we took some advice from a local when there & took the local bus which stops opp the End of run. about 2 euros i think, which take back down to centre Funchal, which was much faster than the basket ride & more fun.

20221003_104434.jpg

Just be aware that when you get to the bottom of the toboggan run that the 2 who have expertly guided you down in perfect English will say how tiring and hot it is and they need a refreshing drink with their hands out for a tip.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grumpycruiser60plus said:

A

Hello, Vamps,   As others have suggested above do this trip DIY,  please find attached current ticket price for the cable car.. The basket ride is a fixed price & they will "slightly" pressure you for the picture of you coming down when you reach the end of the run.  it is onlyhalf way down , we took some advice from a local when there & took the local bus which stops opp the End of run. about 2 euros i think, which take back down to centre Funchal, which was much faster than the basket ride & more fun.

20221003_104434.jpg

Does that price include entry to the Monte Tropical Gardens and a glass of Maderia at the bottom kaf ?

I have booked this trip through P&O, just under £100 for 2 of us, with our discount, which I didn't think was too expensive.

I have a question regarding the trip. It says the activity is moderate and as I am not as fit as I used to be (understatement of the year!!) and have problems walking, especially uphill, I am wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew😲Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Molly

50 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Now that the downhill stretch has been tarmacked,  replacing the cobbles,  I am told that  the experience is far less exciting that it was previously. 

I found it pretty tame to be honest. But I did spend a fair amount of the 1990’s on rollercoasters! 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, sagaris said:

I have booked this trip through P&O, just under £100 for 2 of us, with our discount, which I didn't think was too expensive.

I have a question regarding the trip. It says the activity is moderate and as I am not as fit as I used to be (understatement of the year!!) and have problems walking, especially uphill, I am wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew😲Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Molly

From memory, there is quite a bit of walking, plus queuing for the cable car.

I might be inclined to reconsider.

57 minutes ago, sagaris said:

Thanks

Molly

You cannot go to Madeira and not do the cable car/sledge run. You will be absolutely fine, it is not strenuous, you can take your time. If you do the excursion with P and O you will not need to get a taxi back or walk down to town.  Thoroughly recommend it.

Terri

2 minutes ago, silkworms said:

You cannot go to Madeira and not do the cable car/sledge run. You will be absolutely fine, it is not strenuous, you can take your time. If you do the excursion with P and O you will not need to get a taxi back or walk down to town.  Thoroughly recommend it.

Terri

The sledge run is a tourist rip off. The gardens are lovely though.

We did the cable car and toboggan DIY. Very easy (and pleasant) walk to the cable car and back from the toboggan. It cost us a fraction of the P&O excursion cost. This was in 2007 when, from memory, the streets were still cobbled and the toboggan took you almost all the way back down. I would describe the toboggan as a ‘near death experience’ especially flying across the various unmarked crossroads and, as such, it was thoroughly enjoyable! My wife wasn’t quite so convinced 😂 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, silkworms said:

Terri

Thank you Terri, you have put my mind at rest. That was one of the reasons I booked a P&O trip, not something we usually do.

Molly

We did a tour on the red open top bus, which is hop on hop off ,that took us on a very good 

tour, passing through Camara de Lobos (where Churchill liked to visit). 

Good thing is you can hop on or off the bus anytime , we just stayed on and took in the sights.

Link for bus ..

https://madeira.best/product/red-open-top-sightseeing-bus-funchal-hop-on-hop-off

We did that in the morning and did a DIY cable car later on when the queues had died down .

As for the baskets we watched a few setting off but it did not appeal to us . As a kid I used 

to take great pleasure in throwing myself down "cardboard hill" a very steep hill that was scary as hell. Having a couple of guys in straw boater hats assisting me ,didn't do it for me ,so it was back on the cable cars which I loved but Mrs K hated them with a vengence . She's not a fan of heights ,

Anyone who wants a go though go for it and enjoy .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

I just wondered if it could be a bit scary for the kids.  I know kids like a thrill but feel it's worth mentioning.

Yeah my kids aren’t normal. They love stuff like that- even more so if it terrifies me

• Haha 4