Evening Dress Code/enforcement

Rick&Susan

2 hours ago, canderson said:

Maitre d's should have a "hold harmless" clause in their contracts and be put in charge of dealing with this, just as they used to be.

Makes me curious as to how lines that do still 'hold the line' instruct their maitre d's?  

The answer is obvious except to some OCD fashion police types. Celebrity does not want the Maitre d to hold the line. Management  has told the Maitre D and crew  not to confront passengers on their dress. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Agree. No matter the evening I always wear a golf/polo style shirts. First night with shorts all other nights docker slacks. 😱

I enjoy wearing a nice pair of jeans and a cotton pullover sweater without a collar shirt underneath. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Agree. No matter the evening I always wear a golf/polo style shirts. First night with shorts all other nights docker slacks. 😱

Pretty much what I do...but not the shorts on the first night. That's when I wear my Hawaiian shirt...

😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I enjoy wearing a nice pair of jeans and a cotton pullover sweater without a collar shirt underneath. 

And if weather permits I wear a collared shirt WITH a V neck sweater.  Which one of us gets in?

8 hours ago, Pinboy said:

So-- you couldn't follow the rules !!

What's your point--- that you are " Entitled "?

I don't know why you even post this.

Me neither judging by your response. It was a light hearted silly post, on a thread that does get a little serious. 

7 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The answer is obvious except to some OCD fashion police types. Celebrity does not want the Maitre d to hold the line. Management  has told the Maitre D and crew  not to confront passengers on their dress. 

Not the case.

Night 3 or 4 in Blu, the elderly couple in front of us were turned away because he was wearing shorts. And quite rightly so. Who do you think you are to walk right past a sign which says no shorts, while wearing shorts, thinking the rule only applies to everyone else. It's very bloody simple, don't wear shorts to dinner. I don't care one jot about your personal rights to wear what you want. It's about having a little respect for the rules, your fellow passengers and above all the crew. Don't put the hard working crew in a difficult position where they are forced to have an awkward conversation just because you think the rules shouldn't apply to you. You're not special. If you can't possibly bring yourself to wear smart looking clothes when eating in a nice restaurant in the evening then maybe find another cruise line or go on holiday in Benidorm or somewhere like that. Although tbh most of the 18yo's who go out getting drunk in benidorm would dress better than this guy who tried getting in Blu. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, OysterD said:

If you can't possibly bring yourself to wear smart looking clothes when eating in a nice restaurant in the evening then maybe find another cruise line

So shorts can’t be smart looking? Would really like Celebrity to extend the rules to allow shorts as long as they are smart. But we’d still have debates on here about definition of smart 🤪

I have to admit I like wearing shorts and when I say shorts I mean smart dress shorts not the sports type. I find wearing shorts very comfortable and relaxing. I do not see how me wearing shorts would have any effect on anyone at all on the ship. I have had this before in many places where women are allowed to wear very short skirts but men have to wear full trousers where is the balance there ? Discrimination that's what it is but us men are to laid back to do anything about it we just go and get changed lol

• Like 1

I remember my second cruise in 2012. MDR Maitre speaking to a US guy in his 60s:

MDR: "Sir, we would appreciate long legged pants during evening hours in the Main Dining Room"

Guy: "Son, I really want to see you make me wear pants that I don´t want to wear..."
MDR: "Sorry, Sir..."

I cannot help but wonder how many of the posters on this thread who are complaining about people not adhering to MDR dress policies, themselves ignored masking policies in various areas of the ship when asked to do so by the cruise line?  

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Cebse said:

I have to admit I like wearing shorts and when I say shorts I mean smart dress shorts not the sports type. I find wearing shorts very comfortable and relaxing. I do not see how me wearing shorts would have any effect on anyone at all on the ship. I have had this before in many places where women are allowed to wear very short skirts but men have to wear full trousers where is the balance there ? Discrimination that's what it is but us men are to laid back to do anything about it we just go and get changed lol

If I have a choice, I prefer looking at the women in very short skirts and not your hairy legs.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Nemanoxer said:

I remember my second cruise in 2012. MDR Maitre speaking to a US guy in his 60s:

MDR: "Sir, we would appreciate long legged pants during evening hours in the Main Dining Room"

Guy: "Son, I really want to see you make me wear pants that I don´t want to wear..."
MDR: "Sorry, Sir..."

The proper response to the shorts-wearer is: “No sir, I’m not going to “make you” wear pants that you dont want to wear, I’m just explaining you Can’t Enter Here During Dinner In Shorts”. 

There are many areas and situations we arent allowed into even as Paying Customers who think we now own the place:

- Crew Only Areas

- Outside deck areas during storms closed by the Capt

- Theater during rehearsals

- Specialty Dining Rooms without a reservation or just ‘coming in’ for a coffee

- Private Events

- Retreat facilities if not a Suite guest

- BLU or Lumenare if not Aqua/Suite

- Spa areas if not paying

- Elite events if not that status

- My SR unless invited…..you can wear shorts there….I do!

You can see I dont have Anything to do this morning and dont want to wake the wife after a late night!!

den

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

If I have a choice, I prefer looking at the women in very short skirts and not your hairy legs.

Reminds me: My grandfather had no hair on his legs…he said he was in the Army during WWI and wore those tight wrapped leggings and it killed his leg hair. We all were proud of his service…..the Huns never took Kansas, which he never left during the War!!

I now wonder if I shouldn’t have worn those tight ball caps!! 

den

6 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

We were on the Infinity last week and on Chic night they let 2 women enter the MDR dressed in short shorts, tee shirts and flip flops, so I guess the dress code is not being enforced.

I don't think you recognized that those were designer clothes.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

We were on the Infinity last week and on Chic night they let 2 women enter the MDR dressed in short shorts, tee shirts and flip flops, so I guess the dress code is not being enforced.

I would be tempted to post video to my TikTok influencer channel, if I had one.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, OysterD said:

Not the case.

Night 3 or 4 in Blu, the elderly couple in front of us were turned away because he was wearing shorts. And quite rightly so. Who do you think you are to walk right past a sign which says no shorts, while wearing shorts, thinking the rule only applies to everyone else. It's very bloody simple, don't wear shorts to dinner. I don't care one jot about your personal rights to wear what you want. It's about having a little respect for the rules, your fellow passengers and above all the crew. Don't put the hard working crew in a difficult position where they are forced to have an awkward conversation just because you think the rules shouldn't apply to you. You're not special. If you can't possibly bring yourself to wear smart looking clothes when eating in a nice restaurant in the evening then maybe find another cruise line or go on holiday in Benidorm or somewhere like that. Although tbh most of the 18yo's who go out getting drunk in benidorm would dress better than this guy who tried getting in Blu. 

I see the Fashion Police are busy on Celebrity.  Don't you folks have anything better to do on your vacation than worry about what other people are wearing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

I suspect the people who gave ancedotes about passengers being turned away and enforcement were reporting something that happened years ago, Oneof the two did mention 2012 and I do believe that did happen in 2012 but that was ten years ago. 

24 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

I see the Fashion Police are busy on Celebrity.  Don't you folks have anything better to do on your vacation than worry about what other people are wearing?

We can read and follow simple directions on the signs at the entrances to certain dining venues..so we have that going for us. Which is nice. 

7 hours ago, OysterD said:

It's about having a little respect for the rules, your fellow passengers and above all the crew.

Absolutely correct !! 

I see you are relatively new to CC and seem frustrated over many of the posts.

In time you will learn who's who and have the choice of ignoring their posts.

FYI--- This subject has been brought up many times and receives the same responses from the same people every time --- including myself.

LOL-- There are some other "dandy " topics that keep coming up :

Who's the Captain on xxx for our cruise in 2024?

Gratuities -- included in room service ?

Lounge hogs at the pool

What should I do with, about, -- etc etc ?

Slobs at the buffet

Specialty dining reservations not available for our cruise, etc etc.

( Additions to this list are welcome )