Evening Dress Code/enforcement

Rick&Susan

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

If you don’t like a thread or post you have a few well defined choices.

1. Talk to the mods.

2. Participate

3. Reply

4. Ignore it

I suggest option 4.

👍sometimes option 4 is the most difficult option though. I know through experience others are quick to go for option 1. So goodbye if they do 😂😂😂

Edited by C4HCG

3 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

👍sometimes option 4 is the most difficult option though. I know through experience others are quick to go for option 1. So goodbye if they do 😂😂😂

I find it humorous that people come along and complain about other posters as if they are any better than the people they complain about.  😂😂😂 

I refer to the topic not about personal interaction.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Note, I am a complete noob and I just booked our first cruise for Feb 2024 5 nights on Voyager of the Seas (RCCL).  It is so far away they aren't even trying to sell beverage or dining packages.  

We won't be doing any specialty dining, and will likely eat in the MDR every evening for early dining.  

DH reluctantly wears pants to church and company Christmas parties, and that is it.  DH is very uncomfortable in pants because his thighs are big compared to the rest of him.

When we got married he wore a formal kilt with a tuxedo-ish kilt jacket.   His brother wore DH's second best kilt, and the Elk on the wall wore the third best kilt. He likes his kilts.

DH does have a lot of nice shorts that are almost knee-length, and nice shirts.   That is what he wears when we go out to eat.  

Last night I was watching a CruiseTipsTV video on cruise dress codes.  DH walked by and said, "They aren't going to expect me to wear pants are they?"   I said "Umm ... Maybe for formal night.   I am still learning."   It hadn't occurred to me DH's normal attire might be a problem.  

Would it be OK for DH to wear his nice shorts to dinner in the MDR and his formal kilt on formal night?   I have a sheath evening gown that I wore to my last HS reunion that I'd likely wear for formal night.  

Not seen if anyone has responded, too busy giggling. But technically no, nice shorts are against the rules, designer jeans fine though 🤪🤪🤪

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I find it humorous that people come along and complain about other posters as if they are any better than the people they complain about.  😂😂😂 

I refer to the topic not about personal interaction.

I complained about another poster as they got personal. Something me and my wife who both use this account strive not to do. 

Edited by C4HCG

1 minute ago, C4HCG said:

I complained about another poster as they got personal. Something me and my wife who both use this account strive not to do. 

But I didn’t complain to the mods I need to add.

1 minute ago, C4HCG said:

Well consider my 4 suggestions.  Sometimes you should let the mods decide.

On 10/7/2022 at 8:33 PM, Rick&Susan said:

Currently on Royal's Oasis of the Seas for 1st time on Royal, regular Celebrity cruiser- disappointed to experience that & curious why men are wearing shorts (even gym shorts, not long dressy shorts) & T-shirts in specialty restaurants, MDR & public areas after 5pm, even on "Formal" nights. I've never seen this in 60 years of cruising on 12  lines & have heard a number of others commenting on it also. Upon asking about it with specialty restaurant managers, Guest Services & the Diamond Concierge, they all seem embarrassed that upper management has told them to no longer simply, apporpriately request men return to their room to put on slacks & a collared shirt. Seems to me they're pandering to a few inconsiderate guests while disappointing many more considerate guests who'd like a classier evening experience. Is this happening on Celebrity or any other lines recently also? I don't even recall it on Carnival. My bride suggests they at least sit their party by the kitchen in a separate area. :>)

Bet you never expected this reaction to your post 🤪😁😂🤣🥱🤔😒😘😉😆😁😄😃😀😩

1 hour ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Note, I am a complete noob and I just booked our first cruise for Feb 2024 5 nights on Voyager of the Seas (RCCL).  It is so far away they aren't even trying to sell beverage or dining packages.  

We won't be doing any specialty dining, and will likely eat in the MDR every evening for early dining.  

DH reluctantly wears pants to church and company Christmas parties, and that is it.  DH is very uncomfortable in pants because his thighs are big compared to the rest of him.

When we got married he wore a formal kilt with a tuxedo-ish kilt jacket.   His brother wore DH's second best kilt, and the Elk on the wall wore the third best kilt. He likes his kilts.

DH does have a lot of nice shorts that are almost knee-length, and nice shirts.   That is what he wears when we go out to eat.  

Last night I was watching a CruiseTipsTV video on cruise dress codes.  DH walked by and said, "They aren't going to expect me to wear pants are they?"   I said "Umm ... Maybe for formal night.   I am still learning."   It hadn't occurred to me DH's normal attire might be a problem.  

Would it be OK for DH to wear his nice shorts to dinner in the MDR and his formal kilt on formal night?   I have a sheath evening gown that I wore to my last HS reunion that I'd likely wear for formal night.  

Kilt would be considered national dress and should be fine on formal night. As long as the top isn’t a T-shirt! 

Cunard encourages kilts and national dress on formal nights.   That’s the way to have to the comfort of shorts and not worry about expanding waistlines or thighs!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

It’s a discussion, shouldn’t even need mods. We’re all adults - I think 🤔 

Sometimes you need mods when people get out of control and make 137 posts in 15 minutes.

People don’t always agree on things.  In this case, some say “rules are oppressive” or “why can’t you follow them”.  Everyone thinks “their” position is the right one.

At the end of the day do I “really” care what you wear?  Not really.  I do find the sound of flip flops annoying.  I think maybe rules about “offensive” tshirts are needed.  I see that Celebrity doesn’t enforce their own rules.  So what does it matter?  I just don’t want to smell you or have to listen to offensive commentary.

3 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

probably about time to lock this thread...

Clearly "class" only refers to what type of items you wear, not behavior and speech.

On the class discussion front, generally those with class don’t talk about those without class. It’s not classy to do so! There’s a certain acknowledgment that one who has certain things is fortunate so it’s wise to not tempt fate. Now, talking about each other? Sure!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, carolina_yankee said:

Kilt would be considered national dress and should be fine on formal night. As long as the top isn’t a T-shirt! 

Cunard encourages kilts and national dress on formal nights.   That’s the way to have to the comfort of shorts and not worry about expanding waistlines or thighs!

Sorry, but I don't see the distinction... if men can wear a kilt or women can wear a mini-skirt, then why can't men wear shorts?  In each of these cases, someone is showing more or less leg/calf, yet some people have decided to draw an arbitrary line and say men wearing regular dress shorts is not permitted?  No wonder people are ignoring the cruise line's "dress code" and the ship's staff are embarrassed to try and enforce it, when it's that capricious.

And yes, I hate myself for continuing to read this silly thread.

1 minute ago, TheHawk1 said:

Sorry, but I don't see the distinction... if men can wear a kilt or women can wear a mini-skirt, then why can't men wear shorts?  In each of these cases, someone is showing more or less leg/calf, yet some people have decided to draw an arbitrary line and say men wearing regular dress shorts is not permitted?  No wonder people are ignoring the cruise line's "dress code" and the ship's staff are embarrassed to try and enforce it, when it's that capricious.

And yes, I hate myself for continuing to read this silly thread.

It’s not about whether or not leg is being shown, but whether or not the dress is considered formal. Kilts can be considered formal. Shorts (short pants) are considered casual. 

Personally, I don’t care what the rules are. Whatever they are, I’ll follow them, and I won’t really worry about anybody else. I cited Cunard simply because they are regarded as one of the most formal lines out there, if not the most formal, and they are happy for people to wear kilts on formal night. I’m assuming it also means an appropriate button down shirt and jacket.

Seriously, if one wanted to wear Bermuda shorts-style business dress, I wouldn’t care either. But others would. So, there.

I’m clergy. At the end of the day, I can just toss on a cassock and wear whatever I want underneath! But since that would surely be a conversation killer at a group table, I’ll be in evening chic, suit, or formal, depending on the cruise line and th night. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Celebrity is not a government. It is a business. I am fine with Celebrity enforcing dress rules or not enforcing a dress rules. It is their business. I don't obsess about how other people dress or care if Celebrity enforces dress rules it or not. It does not impact me. Too bad it impacts you but that is your problem. Take it up with Celebrity. 

There are laws and regulations that don't make sense. But that is politics so I won't get into that.

Some laws and regulations should be broken. There is a walk signal that has been reported and not fixed for a year in my neighborhood. They claim they can't figure out how to fix it. I do feel entiteld to cross when I feel it is safe. You may be an everything is black and white thinker. If so  I feel sorry for you. 

rules and regulations are not meant to be broken because you decide they should be. It's not optional and not up to your judgment. If you want something changed, there are ways to do so. You are not entitled to just ignore it. That's the point. Your judgment may well be short-sighted, self-indulgent and elitist. Maybe not.  Why would anyone trust your judgment when they don't know you?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

rules and regulations are not meant to be broken because you decide they should be. It's not optional and not up to your judgment. If you want something changed, there are ways to do so. You are not entitled to just ignore it. That's the point. Your judgment may well be short-sighted, self-indulgent and elitist. Maybe not.  Why would anyone trust your judgment when they don't know you?

Sometimes laws are broken in order to change them. Happened in the US during the civil rights movement. Has happened other times in history. 

1 hour ago, carolina_yankee said:

It’s not about whether or not leg is being shown, but whether or not the dress is considered formal. Kilts can be considered formal. Shorts (short pants) are considered casual. 

Personally, I don’t care what the rules are. Whatever they are, I’ll follow them, and I won’t really worry about anybody else. I cited Cunard simply because they are regarded as one of the most formal lines out there, if not the most formal, and they are happy for people to wear kilts on formal night. I’m assuming it also means an appropriate button down shirt and jacket.

Seriously, if one wanted to wear Bermuda shorts-style business dress, I wouldn’t care either. But others would. So, there.

I’m clergy. At the end of the day, I can just toss on a cassock and wear whatever I want underneath! But since that would surely be a conversation killer at a group table, I’ll be in evening chic, suit, or formal, depending on the cruise line and th night. 

I’m waiting for powdered wigs to come back in fashion.

By the way there are lots of forums (see Reddit) where people talk about trashy behavior.  If someone is doing cannonballs in the pool are we now forbidden from discussing it?

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

I’m waiting for powdered wigs to come back in fashion.

By the way there are lots of forums (see Reddit) where people talk about trashy behavior.  If someone is doing cannonballs in the pool are we now forbidden from discussing it?

I never said don’t discuss. It’s just that reveling in other people’s misbehaviors (or lack of knowledge) isn’t necessarily a sign of class.

As for kilts, they are hardly archaic!

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/tuxedo-black-tie-guide/advanced/scottish-highland-dress-irish/

On 10/7/2022 at 3:33 PM, Rick&Susan said:

Currently on Royal's Oasis of the Seas for 1st time on Royal, regular Celebrity cruiser- disappointed to experience that & curious why men are wearing shorts (even gym shorts, not long dressy shorts) & T-shirts in specialty restaurants, MDR & public areas after 5pm, even on "Formal" nights. I've never seen this in 60 years of cruising on 12  lines & have heard a number of others commenting on it also. Upon asking about it with specialty restaurant managers, Guest Services & the Diamond Concierge, they all seem embarrassed that upper management has told them to no longer simply, apporpriately request men return to their room to put on slacks & a collared shirt. Seems to me they're pandering to a few inconsiderate guests while disappointing many more considerate guests who'd like a classier evening experience. Is this happening on Celebrity or any other lines recently also? I don't even recall it on Carnival. My bride suggests they at least sit their party by the kitchen in a separate area. :>)

It's a post-covid world. companies are happy to get the money.  You're on Oasis - you need to adjust your expectations.  That ain't the QM2

• Thanks 1

Its always interesting reading the reason someone just cant wear pants for a few Hrs once or twice during a cruise, but the one saying their ‘thighs’ are too big and pants are uncomfortable is a bit new. The Big Thigh Guy can wear a nice pair of shorts that go to their knees - doesnt that cover Big Thighs??

My pants and shorts all pretty much have the same ‘space’ for my thighs, so if that guy with Big Thighs who cant wear pants but can wear shorts to their knees, I dont think I understand…. except its just another excuse.

At least that gets points for being a bit ‘unique’…..

And So It Goes.

den

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Just saw this thread and I did not read every post so I hope I am not repeating anything. The only thing I will say if you have ever been on an all nude cruise you wish there was a dress code! 😀

Not aimed at you, but one thing I notice is so many anti dress code comments say “But not …….” So not strictly anti dress code, just their version of it

• Like 1

I heard a new one last night in the MDR for evening chic. The ladies were dressed appropriately but the man was in shorts, sneakers and faded polo with baseball cap and arguing that he was dressed “business casual”.  My wife (who is always smarter then me) wouldn’t let me say “maybe for a car wash” 😁.  He didn’t get in.