Can you bring food from port back onto ship?

klfhngr

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

If I tried to get a BOX of wine on a ship, it wouldn't be that big 1 gallon size, they make 'em smaller.  I just happen to like, and I can't remember the brand name of the 1 gallon size, I take on road trips.  The smaller ones, I haven't tried, YET and don't know the brand and I don't know if they have Burgundy!  Burgundy is getting harder and harder to find.  I think some brands call their Burgundy by another name.  Burgundy is so yesterday, apparently.

In the 70s and 80s here in the US...cocktail parties had your choices of "Burgundy, Chablis, and Rose"...jug wines that were definitely not from France.  😉   But I still sold a lot of it for awhile as cooking wine to restaurants.  Especially the "Burgundy".   

Might I suggest you try an inexpensive Merlot..maybe from Publix?  It also comes in the 1.5 size (exactly twice the size of a regular bottle of wine, and half the size of your 3.0 liter Burgundy).  Let me know what you think.  🙂 

59 minutes ago, BND said:

I really like Black Box Pinot Grigio.  Burgundy is the area in France, not a grape variety.  Red variety mostly made there is Pinot Noir and white is Chardonnay.

And some very expensive high end Merlot on the "Right Bank"....Grand Cru stuff.  $$$$ Ouch!!  😮 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

In the 70s and 80s here in the US...cocktail parties had your choices of "Burgundy, Chablis, and Rose"...jug wines that were definitely not from France.  😉   But I still sold a lot of it for awhile as cooking wine to restaurants.  Especially the "Burgundy".   

Might I suggest you try an inexpensive Merlot..maybe from Publix?  It also comes in the 1.5 size (exactly twice the size of a regular bottle of wine, and half the size of your 3.0 liter Burgundy).  Let me know what you think.  🙂 

I believe I said Pinot Noir but I really meant Marlot.  I do, on occasions, buy the gallon jug of Carlo Rossi Burgundy.  Not too bad but I wind up throwing most of it away.  I don't drink it often enough to keep it around for a long time.

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I believe I said Pinot Noir but I really meant Marlot.  I do, on occasions, buy the gallon jug of Carlo Rossi Burgundy.  Not too bad but I wind up throwing most of it away.  I don't drink it often enough to keep it around for a long time.

Yup, most popular jug wine US named "Burgundy" there was.  🙂  

Knowing that might be what you were talking about, if I could be so bold as to suggest Robert Mondavi 1.5 Merlot.  Publix carries a lot of it.  That might be close to what you are enjoying in the Carlo Rossi?  

Another one...Barefoot Cellars Merlot.  

Another fun thing to do is to try various wines on the ship by the glass.  Never know what you might find you like, and would not be investing in a whole bottle.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

And some very expensive high end Merlot on the "Right Bank"....Grand Cru stuff.  $$$$ Ouch!!  😮 

LOL, I've never had much of champaign taste, more of a beer pocketbook.  I've had a lot of high end wines and Bourbons and so on.  I'm happy with the blue collar stuff.  Except my steak, I like a big old chunk of Prime Rib (which is a roast, not a steak and/or Rib-eye steak (one in the same, just one is whole, thus being a roast, and the other is cut into steak).   

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

LOL, I've never had much of champaign taste, more of a beer pocketbook.  I've had a lot of high end wines and Bourbons and so on.  I'm happy with the blue collar stuff.  Except my steak, I like a big old chunk of Prime Rib (which is a roast, not a steak and/or Rib-eye steak (one in the same, just one is whole, thus being a roast, and the other is cut into steak).   

LOL...actually the French hate it when we call any US made sparkling wine "Champagne".   But then again...they are French.  😉 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

Yup, most popular jug wine US named "Burgundy" there was.  🙂  

Knowing that might be what you were talking about, if I could be so bold as to suggest Robert Mondavi 1.5 Merlot.  Publix carries a lot of it.  That might be close to what you are enjoying in the Carlo Rossi?  

Another one...Barefoot Cellars Merlot.  

Another fun thing to do is to try various wines on the ship by the glass.  Never know what you might find you like, and would not be investing in a whole bottle.  

Thanks, I'll try the Robert Mondavi.  I've seen and heard of both Mondavi and Barefoot.  Never gave them a second though.  But, since they come so highly recommended, I'll give 'em a try.  

• Like 1

Just now, Ret MP said:

Thanks, I'll try the Robert Mondavi.  I've seen and heard of both Mondavi and Barefoot.  Never gave them a second though.  But, since they come so highly recommended, I'll give 'em a try.  

I hope I sent you in the right direction!   If not...I am not here.  😄 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, island lady said:

🤗  Cheers!   🍷

I guess we have hijacked this thread enough.  But, one kinda funny story:

I was talking to my wife this morning before we started this wine discussion, that I was thinking of bringing a bottle of wine and my wife would bring a couple bottles of her favorite wine coolers to the hotel in Titusville to drink on the night of the 30th this month as we know we won't be able to sleep pre-cruise.  Nothing like a little intoxication to initiate a good night's sleep.

I'm going to Publix on the 29th to get a bottle of Barefoot!

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

Oh, and I believe that is the brand name of the smaller box of wine I would think of carrying-on the ship, Black Box.  Thanks for that!

I have friends that buy Black Box Cabernet Sauvignon in the 3 liter boxes and swear by it.  We just had a discussion last night on our monthly virtual meeting about the difference in prices for it, depending on which store you bought it at. Ranged from $13.99 to 21.99 for the same item. 

My plan is to buy some and try it once my current inventory goes down a little more. 

IMG_7494.jpg

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I have friends that buy Black Box Cabernet Sauvignon in the 3 liter boxes and swear by it.  We just had a discussion last night on our monthly virtual meeting about the difference in prices for it, depending on which store you bought it at. Ranged from $13.99 to 21.99 for the same item. 

My plan is to buy some and try it once my current inventory goes down a little more. 

IMG_7494.jpg

I've seen the Black Box wine in the PX during my travels.  Don't have a real PX close to me, just a National Guard 7-11 type place. The old Ft. McClellan.  

The closest one to us is 27 miles away.  I can not tell you when the last time we went to the PX it is just not the convenient or that much of a savings any more.  However, when we do go there, alcohol is one of the things i do stock up on, especially Bailey's Irish Cream. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

IMG_7494.jpg

BTW, I had a rack like that when I was stationed in Germany.  When we PCSed back to the U.S., Customs said I could bring the bottles but not the liquid inside, I had to pour them all out.  Not too much of a problem, all were cheap anyway.  I also had a very large bottle, about 4 feet tall, of Galliano.  I was really into Harvey Wallbangers back then.

12 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

The closest one to us is 27 miles away.  I can not tell you when the last time we went to the PX it is just not the convenient or that much of a savings any more.  However, when we do go there, alcohol is one of the things i do stock up on, especially Bailey's Irish Cream. 

You are 100% right about not being much of a savings anymore.  But, the Class Six part (liquor store) has some really great deals and no tax.  It's all about timing.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

BTW, I had a rack like that when I was stationed in Germany.  When we PCSed back to the U.S., Customs said I could bring the bottles but not the liquid inside, I had to pour them all out.  Not too much of a problem, all were cheap anyway.  I also had a very large bottle, about 4 feet tall, of Galliano.  I was really into Harvey Wallbangers back then.

I remember Harvey Wallbangers from my early Navy days.  

I once got into a 'discussion' with a bartender on the price.  It seems, because of the way the bar menu charged a premium for speciality drinks, a Harvey Wallbanger was $1.00 more than an Italian Screwdriver .. but they are the same drink.  But hey, that was in the 70's when I was young. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

LOL...actually the French hate it when we call any US made sparkling wine "Champagne".   But then again...they are French.  😉 

Technically, we are allowed.  The French trotted around this treaty to get countries to promise to not use "Champagne".   We are doing something even more stupid, Prohibition, so we declined to sign.   
What really irritates me is when the French try to say something is Champagne because it is from the right area, and then don't use the Champagne Method.  But that same logic doesn't apply to say a Pilsner.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Technically, we are allowed.  The French trotted around this treaty to get countries to promise to not use "Champagne".   We are doing something even more stupid, Prohibition, so we declined to sign.   
What really irritates me is when the French try to say something is Champagne because it is from the right area, and then don't use the Champagne Method.  But that same logic doesn't apply to say a Pilsner.  

Champagne, bourbon , whiskey, whisky...use these terms incorrectly and you're bound to piss off someone!

Edited by rudeney
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I'm about a 45 min to an hour drive from any base (Quantico, Ft Belvoir. Andrews). DH is retired Navy.  I haven't shopped on base in years and now with the cost of fuel, it's just not worth any savings.    I had to get my ID renewed in mid 2021 and getting an appointment was a pain.  Ft Belvoir had none available so we drove to Ft Myer.  Other locations just were only doing them only for anyone stationed there.  There's been reports of going to online.  They weren't happy that I was about 35 days out instead of the 30 they wanted.  Too bad, appointments were hard to find so they did mine anyway.  

On 10/10/2022 at 3:03 PM, klfhngr said:

Hmmm, guess I'll wait for more replies, but thanks all, so far!

When cruising started up last year and the crew could not get off, we had a couple of Mexican waiters and servers.  We asked them if they wanted us to bring anything back on board for them on our stop in Cozumel.  Thinking they might want a certain brand of shampoo or other toiletry.  Nope, they asked for corn tortillas, chicharon and taco meat.  So we got off, went to a Pueblito restaurant and picked up a kilo of meat and some tortillas with salsa.  Chicharons got those at 7-11.  Everything got on board and we had the best service every after delivery.  We considered this our tip to them. 

We have also brought meats and cheeses from various Spanish ports without an issue. 

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I get pissed when people call IPA beer. 🤪

I don't often drink beer, but when I do, I like something full-bodied and usually choose a local IPA or dark beer.  When all else fails, I'll go with a traditional Bud, Coors, etc.  I can't stand "light" beer.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1