Can you bring food from port back onto ship?

klfhngr

13 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

They are a lot bigger then a street Taco

Yea, we go there and Los Paisas. And the shrimp/fish taco place in Cabo. But not gonna risk fish/shrimp, don't want to get Montezuma's Revenge! 😮

I would have thought donuts would be fine.  I can see not bringing something that needs to be kept cool or reheated.  We have brought cheese and chocolate on board but I guess never anything fresh like that.  If you really want a Taco put it in your bag and see what happens.  

3 hours ago, BND said:

I know someone who was not allowed to bring Holy Donuts back onboard in Portland, Maine.  

LOL....last time we were in Portland....Bucky was bringing back what was left of his piece of Blueberry pie from just down that road (Two Fat Cats).   They spotted it and told him he could not take that on board.  The security agents were sitting on plastic chairs just outside the gangway.  He proceeded to sit in one of those empty chairs next to them and slowly finish that delicious piece of pie in front of them.  I swear they were drooling!  😄 

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

LOL....last time we were in Portland....Bucky was bringing back what was left of his piece of Blueberry pie from just down that road (Two Fat Cats).   They spotted it and told him he could not take that on board.  The security agents were sitting on plastic chairs just outside the gangway.  He proceeded to sit in one of those empty chairs next to them and slowly finish that delicious piece of pie in front of them.  I swear they were drooling!  😄 

Best blueberry pie we had on our NE/Canada cruise in 2018 was in Bar Harbor.  One of our cancelled cruises during the pandemic was going to NE and that's what I wanted the most.  We're going back next Oct on the 10 night CL to Quebec and the 10 night return so I plan to have several slices.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

I saw one guy get pretty upset when he couldn't bring a big bag from McDonald's aboard in Nassau a couple weeks ago.🤣

LOL.  I didn't realize McDonald's was an exotic tropical restaurant.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BND said:

Best blueberry pie we had on our NE/Canada cruise was in Bar Harbor.  One of our cancelled cruises during the pandemic was going to NE and that's what I wanted the most.  We're going back next Oct on the 10 night CL to Quebec and the 10 night return so I plan to have several slices.

He has since declared my homemade Blueberry pie as the best in Maine.   Just back from our usual summer stay up there.  (Land based...VRBO rental homes).  Waited until the fresh crop came out early/mid August, and made him a very happy guy, first one being his "birthday pie" on August 8th.  Good timing on that.  😄 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, island lady said:

He has since declared my homemade Blueberry pie as the best in Maine.   Just back from our usual summer stay up there.  (Land based...VRBO rental homes).  Waited until the fresh crop came out early/mid August, and made him a very happy guy, first one being his "birthday pie" on August 8th.  Good timing on that.  😄 

I wish we could get those blueberries here.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Food is subjective. But Voodoo does come in at number 4 on some searches

I quite like them.  My first encounter with them was in Portland, OR.  A co-worker, who lived in Portland brought some into where we were working and they disappeared rather quickly.  

21 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I quite like them.  My first encounter with them was in Portland, OR.  A co-worker, who lived in Portland brought some into where we were working and they disappeared rather quickly.  

No doubt, but work donuts rarely lasted in my former life.

Oregon is one of the two lower 48 I have never visited. Rhode Island, the other.

Edited by John&LaLa

5 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Good.  Vodou doughnuts are much better. 

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Food is subjective. But Voodoo does come in at number 4 on some searches

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

No doubt, but work donuts rarely lasted in my former life.

Oregon is one of the two lower 48 I have never visited. Rhode Island, the other.

My Wife and I have been to VooDoo Donuts in Portland, OR  I'm not sure exactly what number they come in at but I will tell you they are pretty darn good.

No photo description available.

VooDoo Donut

Be sure to try the Bacon Maple Special Donuts they make.

Oregon is a beautiful state, lots of rivers and bridges and water falls.

Chicken and Waffles

Cannon Beach , Oregon where The Goonies, Point Break and Twilight were filmed

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1. My friend who lives in Portland, Oregon, says that Voodoo Doughnuts is highly overrrated.

2.  Our pastries from Two Fat Cats in Portland, Maine, were confiscated by port security.  I SWEAR they took them so that THEY could eat them.

3.  Last month, someone brought me challah on the Oasis for Rosh Hashanah.  Port security confiscated it, with nastiness.  I tried to retrieve it, to no avail.  😡

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BND said:

Well, she was not happy.  She had bought 6 to eat over several days.  Not the first time that policies differ from ship to ship.  We love Holy Donuts but we buy one and eat it right then and there 🙂  Going back Oct 2023.

Come on, pound those donuts.  Won't need to eat for a week.

Love us some Holy Donuts.

Edited by shellunderwater

It really depends on security. A few years ago we did a bunch of trips on the same ship with a week or two in between each one. Became friends with several of the staff (includign the head Chef) and started bringing on Krispy Kreme donuts for them (since the donuts on RCL totally suck). Had zero problems bringing them on twice and then was stopped cold the third time. We were told "the rules have changed" and absolutely no outside food was allowed. We sat at the security line and ate as many donuts as we could and then started handing them out to whom-ever wanted them in line 😉 Security was not amused. 

As for ports, we have brought on-board a ton of packaged foods (sugar, coffee, honey, etc.) with no problems. However, we have seen security make people throw away any food that contained meat (hamburgers, tacos, etc.) or had visibly recognizable fruit pieces. Just depends on the mood of security that day. RCL is consistently inconsistent.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BND said:

I wish we could get those blueberries here.  

Actually have found them...frozen of course...in Walmart, and now Publix grocery freezer dept.   The big producer (Wymans) has them in large bags.  I just repack the bags in individual portions to keep in the freezer for pancakes.  Mmmm...  😉 

Just now, island lady said:

Actually have found them...frozen of course...in Walmart, and now Publix grocery freezer dept.   The big producer (Wymans) has them in large bags.  I just repack the bags in individual portions to keep in the freezer for pancakes.  Mmmm...  😉 

I'll have to look, but we don't have a Publix and I rarely go to Walmart.  I've been the family holiday pie baker for 30+ years.  So, usually make 3 or 4 pies for 25 people at Christmas and Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

2.  Our pastries from Two Fat Cats in Portland, Maine, were confiscated by port security.  I SWEAR they took them so that THEY could eat them.

That is why the security team was salivating while Bucky purposely finished what was left of that Blueberry pie from Two Fat Cats right in front of them.  😄 😄