Can you bring food from port back onto ship?

klfhngr

8 hours ago, BND said:

I'll have to look, but we don't have a Publix

Love me some Publix.  Wish it was a little less expensive.  But, if it was, it would be just another Walmart.  However, never underestimate Publix's sales and specials.  I get Publix Rib-Eye, choice, for $9.99 lb, when they are on sale, which is often. 

Love Publix's Bakery, especially the Italian bread.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 6:03 PM, Miggsoo3 said:

We brought Pizza back on board in Naples on Wonder in July, security joked with if we brought some for them.

I actually brought on a Pizza Hut pizza for the girls in Guest Services before!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mek said:

That's so bizarre.  Is this something new?

The licking 😜 or the donuts being confiscated? Not sure since I’ve never brought donuts on a ship before.

Edited by ReneeFLL

On 10/10/2022 at 8:08 PM, shellunderwater said:

Tacos?  Not sure about that.

Commercially prepped and sealed food, no worries.

Agree, if commercial prepared and still in original wrapping. For instance I've bought those tortuga rum cakes back on board before for gifts. 

I wouldn't of thought you could bring fast food type of food back though

15 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Thank you both.  We will definitely check out the Carnival pier location on our next visit, although I am not sure when that will be.  Don't see any of our cruises next year scheduled to stop in Cozumel. 

You are most welcome.  🙂  

And don't worry...Panchos will wait for you.  😉 

We are actually going back to Nachi Cocom again in December, have not been there in years.  Last time we were not impressed with the changes.  If we find that again...we will stick to the lovely walk and lunch at Panchos from now on.  😄 

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

Agree, if commercial prepared and still in original wrapping. For instance I've bought those tortuga rum cakes back on board before for gifts. 

I wouldn't of thought you could bring fast food type of food back though

That is true, according to the FAQ (https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/food-drink-onboard-policy )

"you are free to bring non-perishable prepackaged food in limited quantities."

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Love me some Publix.  Wish it was a little less expensive.  But, if it was, it would be just another Walmart.  However, never underestimate Publix's sales and specials.

I'm a huge fan of their weekly wine BOGO's. And I have found some pretty good wines tucked away on their clearance shelves (Grabbed 3 bottles of Mondavi Napa cab one time for 7.95 a bottle).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

You are most welcome.  🙂  

And don't worry...Panchos will wait for you.  😉 

We are actually going back to Nachi Cocom again in December, have not been there in years.  Last time we were not impressed with the changes.  If we find that again...we will stick to the lovely walk and lunch at Panchos from now on.  😄 

How long since you have been there?

Do you mean since they increased capacity or when they implemented AI.

14 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

I'm a huge fan of their weekly wine BOGO's. And I have found some pretty good wines tucked away on their clearance shelves (Grabbed 3 bottles of Mondavi Napa cab one time for 7.95 a bottle).

When I was stationed at Ft. Ord, CA (no longer an Army Post), I spent a lot of time going to the Vineyards taste testing California wines (my favorite Vineyard was "Live Oaks" in Napa) and learning about wines.  I became a little knowledgeable about wine taste testing.  One thing I learned is that inexpensive doesn't necessary mean lacking in quality or taste.  When I travel and stay in hotels, I take along a "BOX" of Burgundy wine.  Yep, I said BOX, ~a gallon.  Burgundy is my favorite and it is best served at room temperature (no chilling required).  Just now though of this, take one on the ship and avoid bring a corkscrew and and/or POSSIBLE corking fee.  

• Like 1

Just now, Ret MP said:

When I was stationed at Ft. Ord, CA (no longer an Army Post), I spent a lot of time going to the Vineyards taste testing California wines (my favorite Vineyard was "Live Oaks" in Napa) and learning about wines.  I became a little knowledgeable about wine taste testing.  One thing I learned is that inexpensive doesn't necessary mean lacking in quality or taste.  When I travel and stay in hotels, I take along a "BOX" of Burgundy wine.  Yep, I said BOX, ~a gallon.  Burgundy is my favorite and it is best served at room temperature (no chilling required).  Just now though of this, take one on the ship and avoid bring a corkscrew and and/or POSSIBLE corking fee.  

I know many people scoff at box wine, but it actually helps keep air out of the unused portion and makes it last longer once opened.  I've always thought some of the mid-range wines would do well if they offered a box as an option.  It reduces the reliance on glass, which is heavy to ship and harder to recycle.  I mean, we've already gone through the horrors of expensive wines using synthetic corks and now even screw-top lids, so why not a box?

You may be able to sneak a box of wine onboard, but according to the rules, it's not allowed - only 2 (up-to 750ml) bottles can be carried on.  As for the corkage fee, I don't believe anyone has been charged in many years, but of course there's always the possibility of a rogue crew member who decides to charge.  To mitigate that, open it yourself in the room and bring the bottle with you to the table.  You can bring your own corkscrew or ask your stateroom attendant for one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I know many people scoff at box wine, but it actually helps keep air out of the unused portion and makes it last longer once opened.  I've always thought some of the mid-range wines would do well if they offered a box as an option.  It reduces the reliance on glass, which is heavy to ship and harder to recycle.  I mean, we've already gone through the horrors of expensive wines using synthetic corks and now even screw-top lids, so why not a box?

You may be able to sneak a box of wine onboard, but according to the rules, it's not allowed - only 2 (up-to 750ml) bottles can be carried on.  As for the corkage fee, I don't believe anyone has been charged in many years, but of course there's always the possibility of a rogue crew member who decides to charge.  To mitigate that, open it yourself in the room and bring the bottle with you to the table.  You can bring your own corkscrew or ask your stateroom attendant for one.

LOL I'd try to bring it onboard.  There are sooooooo many things that they look the other way with (think corking fee) and if they do confiscate it, it was a "BOX" of wine.  Not the end of the world. 

Tooooooo bad it isn't 2X750 ml per person!

8 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

The licking 😜 or the donuts being confiscated? Not sure since I’ve never brought donuts on a ship before.

Food confiscated.  Many times I've taken things aback like candy, chocolate, pastries, and never given it any thought.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

How long since you have been there?

Do you mean since they increased capacity or when they implemented AI.

Was before shut down...so would be a couple of years.   Service was not as good, and indeed they increased capacity (which takes away the exclusivity of it IMHO).   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Tooooooo bad it isn't 2X750 ml per person!

Well...it can be.  It depends on how they port employees handle it.  Some think it is 2pp.  Others have a big disconnect between where your bags are x-rayed and where the bottle-check table is.  If they send you as a couple, just have one bag inspected.  Or have the other person just walk by like they aren't supposed to stop.  I was trying to see where in the Boston port they did these checks and I saw no one checking bags after x-ray.

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

One thing I learned is that inexpensive doesn't necessary mean lacking in quality or taste.  When I travel and stay in hotels, I take along a "BOX" of Burgundy wine.  Yep, I said BOX, ~a gallon.  Burgundy is my favorite and it is best served at room temperature (no chilling required).  

Spent 12 years in the wine business as a sales rep to higher end restaurants in Brevard county.  We represented the California wines.  I taught waitstaff the proper etiquette of wine service, brought wine in for them to taste, and did the restaurant's wine menus.  

One of the things the kids loved, during the training I would teach, was when I told them the Golden Rule of Wine.   "The best wine is the wine you like the best"   Be it "plonk" or something higher end.   It's whatever you like that is important...not the cost.  More importantly...whatever the customer enjoys.  😉 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

Spent 12 years in the wine business as a sales rep to higher end restaurants in Brevard county.  We represented the California wines.  I taught waitstaff the proper etiquette of wine service, brought wine in for them to taste, and did the restaurant's wine menus.  

One of the things the kids loved, during the training I would teach, was when I told them the Golden Rule of Wine.   "The best wine is the wine you like the best"   Be it "plonk" or something higher end.   It's whatever you like that is important...not the cost.  More importantly...whatever the customer enjoys.  😉 

100% right-on!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rudeney said:

If I tried to get a BOX of wine on a ship, it wouldn't be that big 1 gallon size, they make 'em smaller.  I just happen to like, and I can't remember the brand name of the 1 gallon size, I take on road trips.  The smaller ones, I haven't tried, YET and don't know the brand and I don't know if they have Burgundy!  Burgundy is getting harder and harder to find.  I think some brands call their Burgundy by another name.  Burgundy is so yesterday, apparently.

Edited by Ret MP
changed would to wouldn't

9 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

If I tried to get a BOX of wine on a ship, it wouldn't be that big 1 gallon size, they make 'em smaller.  I just happen to like, and I can't remember the brand name of the 1 gallon size, I take on road trips.  The smaller ones, I haven't tried, YET and don't know the brand and I don't know if they have Burgundy!  Burgundy is getting harder and harder to find.  I think some brands call their Burgundy by another name.  Burgundy is so yesterday, apparently.

I really like Black Box Pinot Grigio.  Burgundy is the area in France, not a grape variety.  Red variety mostly made there is Pinot Noir and white is Chardonnay.

3 minutes ago, BND said:

I really like Black Box Pinot Grigio.  Burgundy is the area in France, not a grape variety.  Red variety mostly made there is Pinot Noir and white is Chardonnay.

Yes, of course Burgundy is an area in France.  You are 100% right in what you typed.  However, for my purposes, there is a process of wine, I didn't say grape, that is called Burgundy.  I've purchased it from many brands and many locations in the U.S. and Europe.  Burgundy is more about the process and additives, not the grape.  

13 minutes ago, BND said:

Oh, and I believe that is the brand name of the smaller box of wine I would think of carrying-on the ship, Black Box.  Thanks for that!

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

Yes, of course Burgundy is an area in France.  You are 100% right in what you typed.  However, for my purposes, there is a process of wine, I didn't say grape, that is called Burgundy.  I've purchased it from many brands and many locations in the U.S. and Europe.  Burgundy is more about the process and additives, not the grape.  

I remember wine in gallon jugs.  The red was always called Burgundy.  My parents were part of a book club when I was in my teens and early 20's and they used to have it at their "meetings"   Google says Burgundy wine is just Pinot Noir.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BND said:

I remember wine in gallon jugs.  The red was always called Burgundy.  My parents were part of a book club when I was in my teens and early 20's and they used to have it at their "meetings"   Google says Burgundy wine is just Pinot Noir.

Yep, when I can't find Burgundy, I get Pinot Noir or Cabernet Sauvignon.  What I really don't like or I should say, are not my favorites is sweet wines.  So, that leaves out most white and todays most popular "FAD" wines. I like 'em DRY.