Nostalgic cruise traditions being phased out

Honolulu Blue

20 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

How about the long-lost skill of "Silver Service", with highly trained waiters, who knew how to serve properly, including the correct side to serve food and the side to remove used dishes.

Don't believe any of the supposedly "Luxury" cruise lines provide "Silver Service" these days.

And I guess the flip side to this is passenger unfamiliarity/discomfort with any formality.  The more I read posts along the lines of "I went to MDR once. Dinner took almost an hour! Never again! The buffet is all I do now", the more I realize that the caricature of dinner consisting of a drive-through, eaten in the car, might be more of a reality than I thought.  No wonder some don't know which bread plate to use, or why there is more than one fork.  IMO, it's sad.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

And I guess the flip side to this is passenger unfamiliarity/discomfort with any formality.  The more I read posts along the lines of "I went to MDR once. Dinner took almost an hour! Never again! The buffet is all I do now", the more I realize that the caricature of dinner consisting of a drive-through, eaten in the car, might be more of a reality than I thought.  No wonder some don't know which bread plate to use, or why there is more than one fork.  IMO, it's sad.

"Fancy like Applebee's on a date night"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

and that's an okay feeling that you have.

But it's not your world anymore. We have done our jobs. Now the world belongs to a new generation. I'm not going to sit here and think we left it better for them than when we were given responsibly for the world.

The only thing constant in life is change.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

And we will again wonder how we ignore the basic tenant that history tends to repeat itself.

Your entire post is well written and is one that should be read by all cruisers!  Thanks for writing it.  

5 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Anyway, the "stewardess" rolled a trolley down the aisle, stopping to ask each passenger how they preferred their meat, medium or medium rare, etc.  And there on the trolley was a big chateaubriand on a carving board, and she had a nice carving knife to slice off whatever one asked for... thin, thick, etc.  And, of course, seconds. 🙂 

This was true when one flew in domestic First Class in 1977 on both United and TWA.  

11 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The other one I forgot is preparing some dishes tableside. In most ships these days, the tables are crammed so tight that there isn't room to wheel a cart out and have room to safely work at the cart. They used to finish a number of meats, pastas, salads and who can forget the flambe desserts.

I remember Caesar Salad and pastas being prepared table side on Sitmar and flamed Crepe Suzette prepared table side on HAL and Home Lines.  

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

And we will again wonder how we ignore the basic tenant that history tends to repeat itself.

Your entire post is well written and is one that should be read by all cruisers!  Thanks for writing it.  

5 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Anyway, the "stewardess" rolled a trolley down the aisle, stopping to ask each passenger how they preferred their meat, medium or medium rare, etc.  And there on the trolley was a big chateaubriand on a carving board, and she had a nice carving knife to slice off whatever one asked for... thin, thick, etc.  And, of course, seconds. 🙂 

This was true when one flew in domestic First Class in 1977 on both United and TWA.  

11 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The other one I forgot is preparing some dishes tableside. In most ships these days, the tables are crammed so tight that there isn't room to wheel a cart out and have room to safely work at the cart. They used to finish a number of meats, pastas, salads and who can forget the flambe desserts.

I remember Caesar Salad and pastas being prepared table side on Sitmar and flamed Crepe Suzette prepared table side on HAL and Home Lines.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, klfrodo said:

and that's an okay feeling that you have.

But it's not your world anymore. We have done our jobs. Now the world belongs to a new generation. I'm not going to sit here and think we left it better for them than when we were given responsibly for the world.

The only thing constant in life is change.

And the easiest change (especially in an industry trying to hold down costs to attract more customers) is in a downward  direction - with gravity to help.

Edited by navybankerteacher

Not so much a tradition, but one thing we loved and which nowadays is sadly often not to be found is an actual PROMENADE DECK. With steamer chairs perfect for lounging.

Located low enough down that sitting there one could hear the sea, very sleep inducing.

On sea days (especially part way through a port intensive itinerary), we used to love sitting on the peaceful Promenade Deck, reading, listening to our own music , watching and listening to the sea, watching for bird and sealife,- - and snoozing! .  II also  used to be more sheltered from wind than an open upper deck so equally good for scenery watching and photo taking.

Nowadays I think most new ships are built without them, most likely as they do not generate passenger revenue.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

Not so much a tradition, but one thing we loved and which nowadays is sadly often not to be found is an actual PROMENADE DECK. With steamer chairs perfect for lounging.

Located low enough down that sitting there one could hear the sea, very sleep inducing.

On sea days (especially part way through a port intensive itinerary), we used to love sitting on the peaceful Promenade Deck, reading, listening to our own music , watching and listening to the sea, watching for bird and sealife,- - and snoozing! .  II also  used to be more sheltered from wind than an open upper deck so equally good for scenery watching and photo taking.

Nowadays I think most new ships are built without them, most likely as they do not generate passenger revenue.

Agree, and you could take nice strolls around those decks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

I had forgotten about the walk so thanks for the reminder.  Even on poorer weather days the fully or mostly covered deck could be walked all the way around.

I don't know if shelter is a requirement - the QM2 has a splendid full promenade deck [deck 7].

Even during a force 11 wind day [2017 westbound crossing], there were some hardy souls walking the promenade. Direct access from deck 7 was closed, but there was access from the 'terrace' deck at the stern, and the Captain's course had the wind on the bow for the worst of the storm.

• Thanks 1

don't know if shelter is a requirement - the QM2 has a splendid full promenade deck [deck 7].

Shelter is preferred as it gives the option of sitting on either the "sunny" side or the "shady" side if there is a choice., also if it is raining, sitting/walking out there can till be achieved.

Is that QM2 promenade covered?  We never sailed any of the Queens as these "big girls" are too big for us, our preference being for smaller ships.

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

don't know if shelter is a requirement - the QM2 has a splendid full promenade deck [deck 7].

Shelter is preferred as it gives the option of sitting on either the "sunny" side or the "shady" side if there is a choice., also if it is raining, sitting/walking out there can till be achieved.

Is that QM2 promenade covered?  We never sailed any of the Queens as these "big girls" are too big for us, our preference being for smaller ships.

Only sheltered in the bow area where it wraps around under the breakwater. Most of the time both the doors through the breakwater are open, and there is access to an open deck area, featuring 'The Commodore's Cufflinks' - spare propeller blades for the propulsion pods.

The smaller ships (QV and QE) have some narrow bits in their promenade  - but apparently it wraps around. The new 'Queen Anne' apparently will not have a promenade deck at all - similar to the HAL Konigsdam (lead ship for the class).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, edinburgher said:

but one thing we loved and which nowadays is sadly often not to be found is an actual PROMENADE DECK. With steamer chairs perfect for lounging.

Agree.  One of my favorite cruise memories of my first trans-Atlantic crossing which was aboard Royal Viking Sky was a covered area just aft of the foyer leading to the forward Observation Lounge.  The space overlooked the sports deck and the funnel, had deck chairs, and a locker with deck blankets was present.  I loved sitting there wrapped in a deck blanket while the ship was sailing off the Grand Banks in fog with the fog horn sounding.  Nap time as well as when I would occupy a deck chair on the Lower Promenade Deck of a HAL ship.  

• Like 2

Nap time as well as when I would occupy a deck chair on the Lower Promenade Deck of a HAL ship. 😁

In that case, a bit like what  the libraries on HAL ships used to be like.  More folks napping than awake!

And disappearing "proper" libraries are another amenity being missed by us now too.  Again, probably because they don't generate passenger revenue.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 3

On 10/22/2022 at 6:20 AM, Heidi13 said:

How about the long-lost skill of "Silver Service", with highly trained waiters, who knew how to serve properly, including the correct side to serve food and the side to remove used dishes.

Don't believe any of the supposedly "Luxury" cruise lines provide "Silver Service" these days.

Silver Service mostly stopped when cruisers told the cruise lines that they were unwilling to pay for it anymore.

In the 1960’s, a good Waiter or Maitre d’ on a cruise ship earned about double what they earn today - and that is WITHOUT factoring inflation.

Many of the cruise lines today still offer the same Hotel Employment contracts they offered 50 years ago: $1 per day, plus tips. In the 1960’s those tips were plentiful. Today those tips are meager.

When the cruise lines enlarged their ships, starting in the 1970’s, they made it affordable for all of humanity to go on a cruise. Unfortunately most of that humanity could not / would not / cannot afford to tip like they did in the good old days. Over a 10 year period, many cruise line employees lost half of their earnings when the new generation of cruisers tipped very little - or not at all. Many of the best cruise line employees quit and went to work in their home countries, where they could see their families every day, and earn as much or more than they were earning on a ship.

The cruise lines - especially the Mass Market lines - didn’t really mind losing their best employees. The new cruising demographic has much lower expectations, and for the most part, really doesn’t seem to mind a reduced quality cruise.

This all makes it far easier for the Mass Market lines to fill their mega-ships and make more money at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, BruceMuzz said:

The new cruising demographic has much lower expectations, and for the most part, really doesn’t seem to mind a reduced quality cruise.

Don't disagree with your thinking.  As these new cruisers, hopefully, continue cruising,  will they not be like many of us "experienced cruisers" who began our careers decades ago begin to have increased expectations of the cruise experience?  

The entire cruise industry--at whatever price point--is in flux at this time.  Even Silverseas and Seabourn are trying to regain/maintain their footing.  And, what will the new "Crystal" offer?  Where does Virgin Cruises fit?  Then, there are the new start-ups.  

Interesting days to be an observer; have a good supply of popcorn available?  😀

20 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Don't disagree with your thinking.  As these new cruisers, hopefully, continue cruising,  will they not be like many of us "experienced cruisers" who began our careers decades ago begin to have increased expectations of the cruise experience?  

The entire cruise industry--at whatever price point--is in flux at this time.  Even Silverseas and Seabourn are trying to regain/maintain their footing.  And, what will the new "Crystal" offer?  Where does Virgin Cruises fit?  Then, there are the new start-ups.  

Interesting days to be an observer; have a good supply of popcorn available?  😀

And then there are the new ships from Ritz Carlton... and I just saw an ad for a new ship coming in a few years from Four Seasons.

Even those hotels "aren't what they used to be"... but then, the world isn't, either...

GC

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GeezerCouple said:

And then there are the new ships from Ritz Carlton... and I just saw an ad for a new ship coming in a few years from Four Seasons.

Even those hotels "aren't what they used to be"... but then, the world isn't, either...

GC

Thanks for your post.  I am very dubious if any of these "luxury name hotel brands" ever have a significant place in the cruise market.  Seabourn, Silverseas, and Regent are treading water currently from what I read.  Crystal?  How will this reincarnation go?  Seadream Yacht Club?  Still there, but.....

As a Marriott International shareholder, I am not pleased that the Ritz Carlton name is being associated with a cruise line that is well outside the expertise of the Company's experience.