Have to take prescription glasses off for check in/security photo

podgeandrodge

14 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

Was it always a requirement to take your glasses off (prescription) for the security photo - I don't recall this before.  Seems over the top if that's what you are going to be wearing all the time, not like sun glasses.

I was told it had to do with glare, and that many people now use the transition glasses that get darker.

• Like 2

I've worn prescription glasses for years. I've had to take them off at different times for different photos. It doesn't really bother me. Takes seconds to do so I'm ok with it at this point. I will be submitting a photo next week for my next cruise. 

• Like 2

Just now, blueslily said:

I've worn prescription glasses for years. I've had to take them off at different times for different photos. It doesn't really bother me. Takes seconds to do so I'm ok with it at this point. I will be submitting a photo next week for my next cruise. 

Sure.  agreed.  Not an issue, was just curious.  As a security photo, it struck me that without glasses in the photo you can look quite different, so I thought it would have required security personnel to ask you to take your glasses off when embarking/disembarking to make sure it was you vs. the photo !

2 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

Sure.  agreed.  Not an issue, was just curious.  As a security photo, it struck me that without glasses in the photo you can look quite different, so I thought it would have required security personnel to ask you to take your glasses off when embarking/disembarking to make sure it was you vs. the photo !

I was surprised by the same thing a week or so ago. I'm in complete agreement with everything you've said. But, I will roll with the punches.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

Yes, I've removed glasses then before as well. It was easy peasy to do. Enjoy your cruise. 

12 minutes ago, blueslily said:

Yes, I've removed glasses then before as well. It was easy peasy to do. Enjoy your cruise. 

Yes, it's not that it is difficult.  I was debating the reasons.  Easy to do though.  When you removed glasses before was it NCL security staff asking you to do so, and since the new rule for security photo without glasses?  It would strike me as slowing things down if they had to ask all people with glasses to "de-glass" first when going on and off the ship - and if they don't, then they aren't (arguably) doing as good of a visual check, perhaps!

25 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

As a security photo, it struck me that without glasses in the photo you can look quite different

This was my mindset too. I recently did my check-in photo, and barely even recognized myself without glasses!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

You have to remove your glasses for passport photos as well.  And, yes, this has to do with facial recognition.

Not in Ireland anyway, which covers EU requirements.  And biometric.  Perhaps that is it then, the difference between EU and US in terms of these rules.

"

• Do wear your glasses (if you normally wear them) but make sure there's no reflection on the lenses and the frames don't obscure your eyes
  • Don't wear sunglasses or glasses with tinted lenses, unless they're prescription"

Edited by podgeandrodge
glasses rules for Ireland

1 hour ago, anyman said:

I was told it had to do with glare, and that many people now use the transition glasses that get darker.

Yep I wear these.   I could be standing in line in the sun for 5 or 10 minutes and not even realize my lenses have become dark, opaque sunglasses to someone looking at me.  

Years ago, before the facial recognition was widespread, when I went for my first passport photos, I was told it was recommended to remove the glasses for one simple reason:

In the event you lose the glasses it makes things easier if your picture is without the glasses

3 minutes ago, ngrund said:

Years ago, before the facial recognition was widespread, when I went for my first passport photos, I was told it was recommended to remove the glasses for one simple reason:

In the event you lose the glasses it makes things easier if your picture is without the glasses

If you lose your glasses, and you need them to see clearly, you aren’t going to want to go a single full day without replacing them, even if it means buying a pair of drug store reading glasses that you can make work until the cruise is over.   So that explanation doesn’t work.   at.  all.  

3 hours ago, podgeandrodge said:

Was it always a requirement to take your glasses off (prescription) for the security photo - I don't recall this before.  Seems over the top if that's what you are going to be wearing all the time, not like sun glasses.

I think that it helps with the facial recognition software they use to disembark/embark at ports and, if you're lucky, to clear immigrations on the ship at US disembarkation ports. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

If you lose your glasses, and you need them to see clearly, you aren’t going to want to go a single full day without replacing them, even if it means buying a pair of drug store reading glasses that you can make work until the cruise is over.   So that explanation doesn’t work.   at.  all.  

Yes, of course it only would apply if you can get along without the glasses-and anyone (like my wife) that can't would travel with an old pair as a backup

3 hours ago, 7Trainguy1951 said:

I wonder if they're using the facial recognition technology, which requires the laser to "see" multiple points on the face?

I believe this is why they require us to take our glasses off, just like you now need to take glasses off for passport photos.

We had to take them off for the pre-boarding check in photos. At the dock at check-in, the agent offered to let us retake the photos with the glasses on.

Our particular sailing only attempted the facial recognition one time, had to scan our cards the rest of the times. 

6 hours ago, podgeandrodge said:

To answer your question, originally glasses were allowed for the online check in photo.  I used the same photo (with glasses) several times, then suddenly it was no longer accepted when I tried to use it in September. 

1 hour ago, Shellbelle28 said:

I had to submit one with them off for online check in, but when I boarded the ship, they took one WITH them on. Go figure. 

That would be because the check in one can go to government databases using facial recognition software, while the one taken at the ship is for the onboard account, and the crew member who rings up your purchase, or flags you on or off the ship does not have this, and they use the "mark 1 eyeball" to match your present appearance to the one standing in front of them.