Snacks allowed? Also, medication available on the boat?

sheriday1980

Hi! Two seemingly unrelated questions that are actually connected if you have a toddler!!

Can I bring packaged snacks on the boat? I'm thinking things like granola bars, goldfish crackers, dried fruit... I'm worried that on excursions I'm going to need snacks for the 4yo and I'm not sure what I'll be able to find for her.

Also, does anyone know if they have any sort of pharmacy on board? I can bring some cold medicine and children's Tylenol with me just in case, but she sometimes gets ear infections and I'm wondering if there will be facilities to get antibiotics or anything like that. Anyone know?

Yes you can bring prepackaged snacks. There are a few you can buy onboard from the gift shops but they are usually double or triple what you would normally pay at home.

However there is no direct pharmacy onboard. The medical center has minimal medication but since it's through the cruiseline, you will pay significantly more than you would pay on land. I suggest bringing what you think you may need before going on board and only lean on the medical team in an emergency. 

• Like 1

As long as the snacks are factory sealed, you can bring them. The dried fruit might be an issue due to agricultural laws of the places you go.

In terms of pharmacy, you should bring what you need. Post Covid, all of the available medicine has been taken out of the shops and is available at the medical center (they don't want anyone hiding anything). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheriday1980 said:

Hi! Two seemingly unrelated questions that are actually connected if you have a toddler!!

Can I bring packaged snacks on the boat? I'm thinking things like granola bars, goldfish crackers, dried fruit... I'm worried that on excursions I'm going to need snacks for the 4yo and I'm not sure what I'll be able to find for her.

Also, does anyone know if they have any sort of pharmacy on board? I can bring some cold medicine and children's Tylenol with me just in case, but she sometimes gets ear infections and I'm wondering if there will be facilities to get antibiotics or anything like that. Anyone know?

Snacks no problem.  I would not worry about taking the prepackaged stuff you describe even on port excursions.  

Just like at home, the only way you will get antibiotics on board is after evaluation by the ship medical staff.   We have not done that for a toddler, but Mrs Ldubs has been prescribed antibiotics on board.  Luckily they had the same ones prescribed by her Doc at home.  No guarantee that will always happen though.   

Like already mentioned I suspect you could obtain some antibiotics from Mexican farmacias without a prescription.  

I would talk to your pediatrician about the antibiotics.  When my kids were small and prone to ear infections, I was given some to keep on hand for camping.  They were powdered and you added water to form the liquid so they didn't need refrigeration. Couldn't hurt to ask.

• Like 3

Snacks don't need to be factory sealed.  I've gone with small zip locks of a mix of things and carried them on in my pocketbook.

I also take a mini-med kit of the usual stuff I might need.  After paying $14 for 8 Tylenol on one cruise, I never left without my own med pack again!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sgttami said:

Snacks don't need to be factory sealed.  I've gone with small zip locks of a mix of things and carried them on in my pocketbook.

I also take a mini-med kit of the usual stuff I might need.  After paying $14 for 8 Tylenol on one cruise, I never left without my own med pack again!

I too have carried our remaining car snacks on. Some purchased items that had been opened and some homemade cookies, etc. Never a problem. But I do think there would be a problem taking these items off at ports or even upon returning to home port. 

If you are going to Mexico, I’m almost certain you can’t bring any food off the ship. If you can, it definitely has to be sealed and no produce at all. So for that port, leave the dried fruit at home. As you enter the port area they have food alert dogs and pull you to the side if the dogs alert n your bag. 

9 hours ago, Number12 said:

I would talk to your pediatrician about the antibiotics.  When my kids were small and prone to ear infections, I was given some to keep on hand for camping.  They were powdered and you added water to form the liquid so they didn't need refrigeration. Couldn't hurt to ask.

That was a good suggestion, I suffer from gout and I keep antibiotics on hand since I never know when a flair up might happen and was wondering if that could also be done for her child.

4 minutes ago, sheriday1980 said:

Message sent to doctor to see if I can bring along some "just in case" amoxicillin. Fingers crossed!!

I bring Amoxicillin with me on every cruise. I've experienced no problems what so ever. 

I never travel without a z-pack or amoxicillin.    I tell my Dr. that I am going on a cruise/out of the country and I have no problem getting a prescription to fill before we go. Never hurts to ask, especially if your little one is prone to ear infections.

23 hours ago, sheriday1980 said:

Absolutely on the snacks so long as they are pre-packaged. 

I would bring any potential medications onboard with you. Cruise ships have a full hospital and medical center available, and they are quite impressive, but the costs are extremely high. You'll pay three to four times for any ear infection medication onboard than what you could pay at home. But if you absolutely need something from the ship, they should be able to help you in the medical center. 

On 10/16/2022 at 6:54 PM, sgttami said:

I am sure they can't check every bag for snacks that don't meet their guidelines so most will get them through.  But I will still bring pre-packaged because they have the right to toss other stuff.

The rule is "Food Items must be pre-packaged and unopened; homemade items or pre-cooked foods will not be permitted on board. Limitations on permitted food items are directly related to concerns for food safety and contamination prevention."

• Like 1

Yep! We always stop at a store near the port before boarding to throw snacks in our bag for the week. And the stop is a good chance to rethink if we forgot to pack an essential and grab it then. 😉 I like bringing my own snacks that I couldn't find onboard or would be crazy expensive. It's definitely nice to have in the room when we get late night munchies or don't want anything from room service.

On 10/16/2022 at 9:33 PM, lennythenose said:

I too have carried our remaining car snacks on. Some purchased items that had been opened and some homemade cookies, etc. Never a problem. But I do think there would be a problem taking these items off at ports or even upon returning to home port. 

Yeah its not taking ziplocs on the ship, it would be trying to take ziplocs with loose items OFF the ship in ports.

Many islands (reasonably so) have strict rules about only allowing packaged foods off the ship.

Edited by bguppies