Celebrity vs RCCL

Pickleball Player

Good morning.  We have always sailed on RCCL.  We love the many activities on RCCL (trivia and song games for ex.).  Our friends are Celebrity cruisers.  We want to take a trip together.  They have mostly convinced me to switch to Celebrity.  Is there anyone out there who were previous RCCL loyalists who made the change to Celebrity? 

3 minutes ago, Pickleball Player said:

Good morning.  We have always sailed on RCCL.  We love the many activities on RCCL (trivia and song games for ex.).  Our friends are Celebrity cruisers.  We want to take a trip together.  They have mostly convinced me to switch to Celebrity.  Is there anyone out there who were previous RCCL loyalists who made the change to Celebrity? 

Booking ONE Celebrity Cruise to be with your friends and trying something new is hardly a commitment. 

• Like 3

We cruised for years on RCCL when our three boys were teenagers. We loved it!

Once we became Diamond on RCCL and they stopped cruising with us as much we switched over to Celebrity and loved it even more. We were somewhat hesitant about trying something else when we were already very happy with RCCL, but we made the switch and have no regrets.

Give it a try!

• Like 2

We cruise both because there are a lot of great things about both.  Give Celebrity a try and see what you think for yourself.  You can always go back to RCCL if afterwards you decide Celebrity isn't right for you.

• Like 2

We cruise both. I say, try it. you might like it. You might not. You won't know until you try. If you are with friends, then you will have a good time. It won't be a bad cruise. You might find that you really do prefer Royal, but at least you will know.

• Like 2

Don't let the above comment about "real balconies" turn you off of Celebrity. All the S and M class ships have real balconies. It is only the new Edge class ships that do not have real balconies. We are Pinnacle on RCI. After one cruise on Celebrity we will never go back. But, we are older, with no children with whom to cruise. Celebrity service, food and ambiance are way above RCI for us. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Pickleball Player said:

We've sailed 8 different cruise lines and they've all been fun. You have to go in with the proper expectations. Celebrity will be a more 'adult' experience than Royal. No waterslides, no big arcade, far fewer children, depending on the ship you might have the lawn club. The one thing I think you'll really like on Celebrity is the Officers vs. Guests volleyball game that's usually on the last sea day, so much fun to watch. 

The indoor solariums are awesome on Celebrity. We enjoy most of the specialty dining, though we avoid Le Petit Chef, too much of a gimmick. I LOVE World Class Bar, the Martini Bar is a fantastic show, but not great drinks.  The spas are amazing on Celebrity. 

Celebrity ships are quieter in the sense they don't have all the top deck activities. But they are more refined and targeted to an adult experience. Yes there is trivia onboard, might not be as much as Royal, but there is trivia. If you go in expecting a 'Royal Caribbean' cruise you'll be disappointed. If you go in expecting more of an adult resort, you'll have a great time. We don't subscribe to 'being loyal to any cruise line' because the vacation becomes too predictable and similar. We try them all and there are things we absolutely love about all of them. 

• Like 5

Agree with most , we were diamond on rccl before trying celebrity for the first time , rccl has the best entertainment, broadway plays, ice and aqua shows , lots of other music, people dress like they are going to McDonald’s, lots of children attractions along with lots of children. Celebrity is a more adult line with less children activities, better buffet . We now only book suites and celebrity suite perks are way better than rccl , can’t compare the suite dinning rooms. 

3 minutes ago, George C said:

Agree with most , we were diamond on rccl before trying celebrity for the first time , rccl has the best entertainment, broadway plays, ice and aqua shows , lots of other music, people dress like they are going to McDonald’s, lots of children attractions along with lots of children. Celebrity is a more adult line with less children activities, better buffet . We now only book suites and celebrity suite perks are way better than rccl , can’t compare the suite dinning rooms. 

Booked our first Celebrity cruise on Beyond in a Sky Suite.  Have only booked RC suite so we are looking forward to seeing the difference on suite dinning between the two. Loved the Coastal Kitchen on the Quantum class more so then the Oasis class. We will be elite on Celebrity when we cruise, however will there be any benefit if we are in a  SS? 

1 hour ago, WheresWalter said:

We've sailed 8 different cruise lines and they've all been fun. You have to go in with the proper expectations. Celebrity will be a more 'adult' experience than Royal. No waterslides, no big arcade, far fewer children, depending on the ship you might have the lawn club. The one thing I think you'll really like on Celebrity is the Officers vs. Guests volleyball game that's usually on the last sea day, so much fun to watch. 

The indoor solariums are awesome on Celebrity. We enjoy most of the specialty dining, though we avoid Le Petit Chef, too much of a gimmick. I LOVE World Class Bar, the Martini Bar is a fantastic show, but not great drinks.  The spas are amazing on Celebrity. 

Celebrity ships are quieter in the sense they don't have all the top deck activities. But they are more refined and targeted to an adult experience. Yes there is trivia onboard, might not be as much as Royal, but there is trivia. If you go in expecting a 'Royal Caribbean' cruise you'll be disappointed. If you go in expecting more of an adult resort, you'll have a great time. We don't subscribe to 'being loyal to any cruise line' because the vacation becomes too predictable and similar. We try them all and there are things we absolutely love about all of them. 

This..I lean to Celebrity, but cruise other lines for the variety.  Your points are spot on.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Walter, why do you like the volleyball game ? 🤔

I find Oceanview is miles above Windjammer in almost every way 

it nice not to eat off plastic😁

also dinning outside of OV is great 

and there is always the Sunset Bar area 🍹

Volleyball game is just good clean fun.  Nice to see the Officers get in on the action. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

Booked our first Celebrity cruise on Beyond in a Sky Suite.  Have only booked RC suite so we are looking forward to seeing the difference on suite dinning between the two. Loved the Coastal Kitchen on the Quantum class more so then the Oasis class. We will be elite on Celebrity when we cruise, however will there be any benefit if we are in a  SS? 

Normally sky suites come with drink package and WiFi free, celebrity dining room is Luminae which has much better food and service than CK , celebrity suite lounge is the retreat ( on beyond) free drinks there all day not just for 3 hours , Beyond is a new ship that has a outdoor retreat area with bar , hot tub and pool for suites only , we did this on a sister ship Edge last year and it was great . We will also be on beyond next month in sky suite. sky suite is nice but not huge, about the size of a junior suite on rccl.

• Thanks 1

52746420-34D9-485D-96DA-47FFCAF1ED1D.thumb.jpeg.cae94b31cf31fe478ac1a3ffdf462d76.jpegAmongst other thing said about Celebrity above, I like the free bags for Elite & above.

I am looking at Royal due to the itinerary and was shocked to see that I will only get 10% off the bag of laundry.😱

Edited by upwarduk

We are loyal to both.  Enjoy the Oasis class ships on Royal.  Entertainment and activities wonderful.  Specialty restaurants great.  So many things to love.  Especially in suites.  We also love Celebrity.  Wonderful food and service- we enjoy the upscale feel of the edge class and solstice class.  Both lines are great.  IMO you cannot go wrong with either line.  My only negative comment is that some of the Royal older ships- aren't great .  While even Celebrities older ships are fine.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

We are loyal to both.  Enjoy the Oasis class ships on Royal.  Entertainment and activities wonderful.  Specialty restaurants great.  So many things to love.  Especially in suites.  We also love Celebrity.  Wonderful food and service- we enjoy the upscale feel of the edge class and solstice class.  Both lines are great.  IMO you cannot go wrong with either line.  My only negative comment is that some of the Royal older ships- aren't great .  While even Celebrities older ships are fine.  

Agree rccl has different rules for different ship classes for suites , celebrity gives you suite restaurant on all ships also suite lounge that is open all day for free drinks not just for 3 hours. 

5 hours ago, Pickleball Player said:

We aren't loyal to Celebrity or RC. We like the differences and the similarities between the two. Enjoy your first Celebrity cruise and then make the decision if Celebrity is for you based on your own experiences.  

3 hours ago, upwarduk said:

52746420-34D9-485D-96DA-47FFCAF1ED1D.thumb.jpeg.cae94b31cf31fe478ac1a3ffdf462d76.jpegAmongst other thing said about Celebrity above, I like the free bags for Elite & above.

I am looking at Royal due to the itinerary and was shocked to see that I will only get 10% off the bag of laundry.😱

Agree and D+ also get the Wash n Fold laundry perk. 👍

4 hours ago, George C said:

I agree with you on most points but why so hung up on what people wear? 

5 minutes ago, rjrpar said:

I agree with you on most points but why so hung up on what people wear? 

I just think shorts and T-shirts should not be allowed for dinner , our favorite restaurant in Dallas area doesn’t allow shorts on a hundred degrees day. I realize I am in the minority, also I started cruising when you needed jacket and tie every night, not that I want that again. 

• Like 1