Unusual/unpopular opinions

Drew B 58

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Have you ever heard of Leonard Bernstein?

Have you ever heard of Leonard Cohen?

If so, if you ever heard of either being called Lenny or Len?

My late friend Jeffrey Dane was a Music Journalist who wrote the definitive article on Leonard Bernstein.You can Google Jeffrey if you wish.

I never heard anyone referring to Cohen as Lenny or Nimoy (who I met)being referred to as Lenny .

I don't like to dress up on a cruise.  I certainly don't get offended if others don't dress up, either.

I think 99% of the food on a cruise is just fine, since I don't have to shop for it, cook it, serve it and clean up afterwards.

I love the buffet.

I actually like inside cabins.

I don't care about the pool or lolling around it all day.  I live in Florida...pools are not a novelty.

There's no way I'm getting in that jacuzzi......

I think the shows are great.

I don't go on cruises to buy designer purses, precious stones, or perfumes.  Or souvenirs. 

I don't bring all my jewelry, cosmetics, toiletries, clothing steamers, chachkis, etc.  I use the ship's toiletries.  My hair won't fall out and my skin won't fall off if I use them for a week.  I don't really care if my hair is less than perfect or if my clothes are a bit wrinkled.

I don't have to get falling-down drunk every night.

• Like 7

On 10/22/2022 at 6:20 PM, Hlitner said:

DW and I actually prefer cabins forward of the forward elevators.

Forward of the forward elevators you have much less foot traffic since most of the eating venues are aft.  There are also very few major mechanical systems on the forward quarter of the ship (with the exception of the bow thrusters) so we generally find the forward cabins very quiet ...

Thank you for this contribution. This is very helpful to us.

On 10/20/2022 at 8:57 PM, K32682 said:

Shared dining with strangers is a non-starter. I have more than a sufficient number of friends and I have no interest in sharing my table or my life story with you. 

I agree with you. That is because in your country sharing a restaurant table is unheard of. Every party gets its own table. 

But in many countries, you simply sit where there is room. It seemed strange when I came to the US that you had people waiting in front of a restaurant when there we're perfectly good seats at tables that were not full.

On 10/22/2022 at 1:08 PM, pete_coach said:

I cannot understand some cruisers obsession with who the Captain is. Do they also care who  is flying their plane to the departure port??

Or who the Cruise director is? Why?

Or the Hotel manager is? Again why??

I agree.

I think that knowing people in charge is meant to be a flex. It makes the people seem more connected, more serious. 

But I am ready to be corrected. 

On 10/20/2022 at 8:57 PM, K32682 said:

Formal nights are nonsense. I have no desire to play childish dress-up games on a cruise or relive my high school prom. 

Well, for some cruises that I took a formal night was something that we looked forward to, on other cruises we had no interest in formal nights. 

Different strokes for same folks. And, different strokes for different folks.

5 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

I agree with you. That is because in your country sharing a restaurant table is unheard of. Every party gets its own table. 

But in many countries, you simply sit where there is room. It seemed strange when I came to the US that you had people waiting in front of a restaurant when there we're perfectly good seats at tables that were not full.

That is an interesting take on the situation. Though there are those of us from the US who do enjoy sharing a table on a cruise and meeting others.

For some reason, there seems to be a fear of ending with bad tablemates for an entire cruise, but with the introduction of the flexible type dining options, that should be eliminated as you have different tablemates every night.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

A restaurant in Alaska does not allow people to wait on line and encourages them to join others.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 6:27 AM, ontheweb said:

Have you ever heard of Leonard Bernstein?

Have you ever heard of Leonard Cohen?

If so, if you ever heard of either being called Lenny or Len?

There is a great documentary on Netflix currently about Leonard Cohen.I watched it this afternoon.Cohen was asked by an interviewer if he ever thought about changing his name.He replied that he wanted to change it to September.The interviewer replied you would like to be known as Leonard September ? Cohen replied,no he would have liked to be September Cohen.

11 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

There is a great documentary on Netflix currently about Leonard Cohen.I watched it this afternoon.Cohen was asked by an interviewer if he ever thought about changing his name.He replied that he wanted to change it to September.The interviewer replied you would like to be known as Leonard September ? Cohen replied,no he would have liked to be September Cohen.

I bet the interviewer never called him Len or Lenny.

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I bet the interviewer never called him Len or Lenny.

No,in fact in the entire documentary he is only referred to as Leonard.You should watch it if you have Netflix.

In 2011 a sports documentary was made about a HOF basketball player.

The guy who made the documentary wanted to get info on the childhood of the subject of the film.He contacted the President of the Alumni Association and asked who he would need to speak to who knew the person better than anyone at the school and she replied that it would be Lenny…….My full name appears in the credits but as Lenny not Leonard.The film won 2 Emmy’s

On 1/29/2023 at 6:26 PM, ldubs said:

OK, I'm getting into the weeds a little too far here.   Is a" porthole cabin" something different from an OV?  

Yes, round portholes vs larger windows of OVs; fewer location choices - portholes are far aft on lower decks.  Portholes are sold as interior category.

• Thanks 1

Well, I have to disagree!  Porthole cabins, at least on all the RC ships we've sailed, are all the way forward on lower decks, where the possibility of water damage is greatest.  And they definitely are not sold at interior prices!  One must read the fine print to even determine whether they are porthole or larger window.

On 2/7/2023 at 12:41 PM, lenquixote66 said:

In the summer of 1964 I took the Shortline bus from NYC to Monticello,NY

I spent one night at a motel for I believe was $5.00 .I cannot recall the name of the property..

Aaaargh!!!! The Shortline Bus --- a cut below even Adirondack Trailways.    But yes, motel price increases have probably outpaced even USPS first class mail.   Remember how Motel  6 got its name.

10 hours ago, simplelife said:

Yes, round portholes vs larger windows of OVs; fewer location choices - portholes are far aft on lower decks.  Portholes are sold as interior category.

We used to book a porthole cabin on the Prinsendam (cabin 409) which was far forward  On that ship all the lower forward cabins had portholes (ours had 2) which were very thick glass.  There were also large (and very heavy) steel covers that could be folded into place and secured by two very large/thick steel bolts.  The crew would only secure those covers in very heavy seas (never happened to us).  We also had portholes on the lowest passenger deck (accessed by a ladder-like stairway on the long-gone Regent Spirit (Regency Lines).  On that ship, all the cabins on that lower deck had thick portholes because the floor of the cabin was right about the water line and port holes took quite a beating.

Hank

• Like 2

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Aaaargh!!!! The Shortline Bus --- a cut below even Adirondack Trailways.    But yes, motel price increases have probably outpaced even USPS first class mail.   Remember how Motel  6 got its name.

LOL, I wish I could disagree with you about the Shortline Bus Line.

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

In 1970 my wife and I took the Greyhound Golden Eagle from NY to LA.

There was a hostess and unlimited food and drink (no liquor) .We stopped in 16 states,43 cities for refueling and exercise between 2 and 6 hours each stop .We met some very interesting people on the bus including an officer of the law and his prisoner.

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We used to book a porthole cabin on the Prinsendam (cabin 409) which was far forward  On that ship all the lower forward cabins had portholes (ours had 2) which were very thick glass.  There were also large (and very heavy) steel covers that could be folded into place and secured by two very large/thick steel bolts.  The crew would only secure those covers in very heavy seas (never happened to us).  We also had portholes on the lowest passenger deck (accessed by a ladder-like stairway on the long-gone Regent Spirit (Regency Lines).  On that ship, all the cabins on that lower deck had thick portholes because the floor of the cabin was right about the water line and port holes took quite a beating.

Hank

On our first cruise every cabin had portholes.

26 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

In 1970 my wife and I took the Greyhound Golden Eagle from NY to LA.

There was a hostess and unlimited food and drink (no liquor) .We stopped in 16 states,43 cities for refueling and exercise between 2 and 6 hours each stop .We met some very interesting people on the bus including an officer of the law and his prisoner.

How many days did that ordeal take?  Was it because you lost a bet? I cannot imagine doing that sort of thing to myself voluntarily. 

The Trailways bus between --- Norfolk Naval Station (stopping at several of the piers) and NYC  Port Authority was bad enough -- but at least it was cheap;  thankfully I have never had to take longer bus rides. 

That law officer taking a prisoner --- verges upon cruel and unusual punishment.

Edited by navybankerteacher

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Yeah, I guess those sailing ships in the 1800s were like that 🙂

Something that you might find interesting .In the mid 90’s my wife and I went to dinner with friends in a rather unusual Manhattan restaurant.It was located on W.72 St near Columbus Ave.We entered into a small hotel,took an elevator one floor down and there was a pirate ship.We had to walk on a plank to enter .The Waitstaff dressed as Pirates sat us .Dinner for the  of us ,entrees and coffees was quite costly but it was a fun experience.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

How many days did that ordeal take?  Was it because you lost a bet? I cannot imagine doing that sort of thing to myself voluntarily. 

The Trailways bus between --- Norfolk Naval Station (stopping at several of the piers) and NYC  Port Authority was bad enough -- but at least it was cheap;  thankfully I have never had to take longer bus rides. 

That law officer taking a prisoner --- verges upon cruel and unusual punishment.

The vacation consisted of going by bus to LA then by bus to SF ,then back to LA and back to NY was 3 weeks.I enjoyed it .My wife said never again.

5 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The vacation consisted of going by bus to LA then by bus to SF ,then back to LA and back to NY was 3 weeks.I enjoyed it .My wife said never again.

You took the damn bus BACK across the continent (and after a California coast round trip)???????

Your wife sounds like a keeper -- and certainly the more competent vacation planner of the family.