Unusual/unpopular opinions

Drew B 58

31 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We were once on a cruise with a very small roll call. The person who started the roll call posted pictures from a previous cruise including her very cute children. I had commented how cute the children were.

Anyway, I was half out of our cabin holding the door open for DW when the cute kids walked by followed by her and her husband. I said what cute kids, and then her screen name. She stopped in her tracks, and said "Ontheweb?" I said "Yes, in the flesh." (though I was actually in clothes 😊, but I meant not virtual.

If you and I met on a cruise or at an outdoor concert would you introduce yourself as OnTheWeb or by your first or first and last name ?

Since I know both your first and last names I would address you either by your first name or your full name.

19 hours ago, K32682 said:

My idea of a vacation is going interesting places, seeing and doing new things, eating local food, experiencing new cultures and doing so with the companions of my choice. There are times when a cruise ship can be the best means to achieve those objectives such as when a destination is spread out over a large area (e.g. Tahiti, Alaska,) lacks suitable modern tourist infrastructure or is a place that I'm content to see briefly but not spend much time there (eg. Easter Island, Iceland.) The boat is a means to an end not an end in and of itself.

An excellent response.

Of course, one size never fits all. 

To Mrs. XBGuy and me, destinations are, at best, secondary.  The ship is our vacation.  We love the shipboard experience, and we love being at sea.

Hmm.  This opinion might very well fit this thread's topic.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

If you and I met on a cruise or at an outdoor concert would you introduce yourself as OnTheWeb or by your first or first and last name ?

Since I know both your first and last names I would address you either by your first name or your full name.

Probably by the shortened form of my first name that I usually use.

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

And you would let me know who you are by saying you are the neighbor of Xx Xxxxxx who is the younger brother of one of former classmates, so I would know who you are?

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Probably by the shortened form of my first name that I usually use.

Everyone I know who has the same first name as you does not use the shortened form.Interesting in that I do not know anyone with the birth name Leonard who is not a Lenny or a Len.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Everyone I know who has the same first name as you does not use the shortened form.Interesting in that I do not know anyone with the birth name Leonard who is not a Lenny or a Len.

Leonard on the Big Bang Theory is always addressed as Leonard, never Lenny or Len.

• Haha 1

On 1/31/2023 at 3:05 PM, Meka3256 said:

My unpopular opinions:

I like technology onboard.  I like seeing everything on my phone, and would prefer to book everything through it. Plus as a way to order food and drinks.

Me too.   I would prefer to do everything by phone/laptop an  never have to call a customer service person again by phone.   

Wifi on ships is not that bad.  It should be better.  However it's not as terrible as some make out.

Again, agree.  IMO, it is much better than it was a few years ago.  

The worst thing about cruises are the handful of obnoxious people who think they're better than everyone.  

They make for enjoyable sport.  😀

On 1/31/2023 at 6:05 PM, Meka3256 said:

The worst thing about cruises are the handful of obnoxious people who think they're better than everyone.  

Of course there are also a few who seem inclined to believe that they can be worse than everyone - and then go on to prove it.

Edited by navybankerteacher

On 1/31/2023 at 6:05 PM, Meka3256 said:

27 minutes ago, ldubs said:

They make for enjoyable sport.  😀

Lots of sport in this thread. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, XBGuy said:

An excellent response.

Of course, one size never fits all. 

To Mrs. XBGuy and me, destinations are, at best, secondary.  The ship is our vacation.  We love the shipboard experience, and we love being at sea.

Hmm.  This opinion might very well fit this thread's topic.

We love conversing with people on ships and at times discover that we have mutual acquaintances