Live from QM2 - Norway and Northern Lights, M234A and M235

TheOldBear

We were just off the ship on the 25th.  If you need any over the counter medication, even cough drops or ibuprofen you have to call down to the medical center to get it.  At least that’s what the sales people in the shop told us.  

I’m sure you’re already being cautious, but my husband picked up Covid while on the ship. He tested negative just before but by the time we got home the night of the 25th, he was sick.  He’s had all the vaccine boosters.  We didn’t wear masks and I thought we were being careful but apparently not. Stay safe. 

There are very few people or staff wearing masks onboard. In the theatre last night maybe 10 people with masks. Internet is variable. An outage yesterday for several hours and no internet in our cabin at any time, we are midships deck 5. 
Food has been excellent as has the service, I think the captain said 2163 passengers onboard for this trip with an even mix of British and American. 
 We have the National symphony orchestra on board as well as the Royal Shakespeare company whose production of Joan Littlewood was incredible, as are their workshops. Guest speakers include Giles Ramsay and Dr David Mannion. We have had a comedian in the Theatre and a singer who won X factor in China, so a varied entertainment package. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Oddly, the arrival time is given as 21.15 tonight. That would be Nab not docked, but still strange. 

Arrival at berth 2345 on Southampton  Port WS Shipping 4cast Wight Portland  8/9 locally 10

It has very quickly turned dark and rainy this afternoon in Southampton after the earlier sunny morning.   We're inside with a pint of Doom Bar at the Red Lion, practising for QM2's Golden Lion.

20221031_135630.thumb.jpg.d26f6a13360a8e70ce05412bd4aeba33.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bedruthen said:

We are arriving midnight to avoid the bad weather. Change of terminal expected as air bridge out of action so arrival changed to Queen Elizabeth terminal. 

Yes, the winds are beginning to get up already. Very gloomy.

Excellent example of how QM2 can make up time on a crossing. After leaving New York about five hours late, she's still going to arrive about six hours ahead of schedule. And that's going east where hours are lost for clock changes (she did have the advantage this crossing of only four clock changes because of the shift from Summer time back to standard time in the UK on Sunday).

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Excellent example of how QM2 can make up time on a crossing. After leaving New York about five hours late, she's still going to arrive about six hours ahead of schedule. And that's going east where hours are lost for clock changes (she did have the advantage this crossing of only four clock changes because of the shift from Summer time back to standard time in the UK on Sunday).

I think QM2 must enjoy these chances to go a bit quicker than she is usually allowed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Have a safe night in Southampton, on board or on land.

Thanks @Host Hattie!

14 hours ago, Bedruthen said:

We are arriving midnight to avoid the bad weather. Change of terminal expected as air bridge out of action so arrival changed to Queen Elizabeth terminal. 

FYI for those also boarding later today in Southampton, QM2 is at Mayflower Terminal as originally scheduled.  The gangway issue that @Bedruthenmentioned perhaps has been fixed.

image.png.de6e9a0f5e48457b040b85677296f513.png

It was quite rainy and windy in Southampton overnight.  For those who arrived on QM2 in the early hours, how was it coming in?  The weather sites have the sea conditions in the channel as a little choppy - 4 to 5 meter waves.

1 hour ago, sfred said:

It was quite rainy and windy in Southampton overnight.  For those who arrived on QM2 in the early hours, how was it coming in?  The weather sites have the sea conditions in the channel as a little choppy - 4 to 5 meter waves.

I was on stage with the passenger chorus as we sailed around the Isle of Wight and into Southampton water. There was barely noticeable movement from any waves in the channel. Sitting on stage the heel as QM2 turned was quite apparent. Captain Hall was not available to “conduct” the NSO foot the Hornpipe, so there were five ‘guest conductors’ from the Royal Shakespeare Company 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

I believe that self disembarkation has started. We should have a room service breakfast arriving in about an hour.

I didn't realize that room service breakfast was available, after a Crossing, on disembarkation day even if you were continuing on the next cruise. Good to know.

Thanks 

Jack

14 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

We should have a room service breakfast arriving in about an hour.

We enjoyed the Room Service feature on disembarkation day. It did help since we departed from the cabin instead of waiting outside the room.

Hi everyone.   Cruise critic bumped me off shortly after boarding yesterday and I was unable to log in until this morning 2 Nov. 

We had a very nice evening last night and I was up early today for the usual walk.  Winds are westerly so it was nearly still across the decks.   A sunrise photo attached below.  I still have 2 bars of 4G on O2 with the English coast visible to port so I'll try to post this now before losing mobile coverage. 

20221102_062453.jpg

• Like 8