Carnival Foods You Love

Island Dog

After a lot of "spirited debate" about sausage gravy and french fries, I figured I'd start a thread a little more positive about the Carnival food people actually like. I know food is still a major highlight of traveling with Carnival for most (all?) of us.

Guy's Burgers "Pig Patty"-classic smashburger with that "how'd they do that" Bacon Patty. Close second, new "Funderstruck" burger.

Pizza- I know some don't care for it but to me it's classic neopolitan and is not supposed to have a lot of sauce or cheese. My only disappointment is when it's undercooked.

Huevos Rancheros from Blue Iguana-just something I never get to have shore side.

Buffalo Chicken Sandwich from Deli-sorta worth the wait.

MDR Soups- any and all, all the time. 

Steakhouse steak-always have had a great steak here, no matter what the cut. I'm picky about steak and they don't disappoint.

We have no complaints about food since the startup. Yeah, there have been some changes but still find excellent dishes in the MDR every night. I actually ordered the dreaded "strip loin" at brunch one morning after reading the complaints here, but found it to be not bad. Now the old "flat iron steak", that's a different story for me. Lol.

Add on, or flame me. Your choice!

• Like 3

I like these good food threads - seem to always read about something I've never tried before...

Two little things from the buffet I'm always on the lookout for:

Jalapeno hush puppies (edible gold)

Pepperoni pasta

Little things from the MDR:

Love the soups too, especially the hot ones - sometimes I get the cold ones as a desert

Cranberry bread

Current iteration of the Baked Alaska

And I'm a sucker for a strawberry swirl...good thing it's not available every day...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Island Dog said:

Huevos Rancheros from Blue Iguana-just something I never get to have shore side.

^^^This. I look forward to breakfast just for the Huevos Rancheros..

Quattro Formage Pizza.

Cold soups in MDR.

Bananas Foster at Emeril's.

• Like 2

Shaq's Big Chicken.

Rudi's Sea Grill (Mardi Gras)

Shaq's Big Chicken

Serenity Retreat Salad Bar for lunch

Shaq's Big Chicken

Pizza del Capitano (Mardi Gras)

BUT don't get Shaq's egg and chicken sandwich for breakfast, there's something weird about the eggs and the biscuits are dry. But the chicken sandwiches are addictive. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On MG:

Big Chicken!

Emeril's!

On all other Carnival ships:

The Salmon that is always offered in MDR

Guy's Burgers

Arugula & Prosciutto pizza (crust needs to be cooked enough)

Indian Vegetarian entrée always offered in MDR

Lamb chops in Steakhouse

The shrimps entrée in MDR

Warm Chocolate Melting Cake with Vanilla ice cream

My mom loves the:

Gluten free bread

Soups hot or cold

WCMC Mickey Mouse style

I'm trying the Blue Iguana Huevos Rancheros!  Thanks for the heads up😎

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 4

MDR - chicken tenders appetizer, teriyaki salmon, any Indian dish, grilled shrimp, strawberry soup, root vegetable pie

MDR Breakfast - Broken Egg Sandwich, Indian meal, homemade granola

Lido - There was a shrimp tostada type thing on our last cruise that had a slight spicy kick that was delicious! 

Deli - I just discovered the turkey sandwich that had the avocado on it, on our last cruise. It was sooooo tasty! I know it’s been changed on the current menu.

Cake Buffet- CONFETTI cheesecake! Also the coconut tres leche, a dark chocolate cake and the marble cake.

• Like 2

MDR: Prime Rib, lentil and pumpkin soups.

Steakhouse: Surf & Turf, any steak other than spice-rubbed.

Lido: Roast turkey carved to order, Pizza, Blue Iguana chicken tacos with beans, cilantro, salsa and habanero sauce

Mardi Gras: Big Chicken, Rudi's, Chibang, Shawarma, hot dog stand...

I like guys pulled pork.  Any Guy burger. 

Jiji noidle bowl. 

Salmon nigiri. 

Buffet grits with brown sugar. 

I always clear plate at MDR.  Dont remember items ive ordered.  

Love the Latte.  Im a drip guy on land but i splurge at sea. 

Id love to see pie o the day on CCL.  Mmmmm, pie. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Always liked the grilled salmon served nightly in the MDR.  Pretty much my go to entree.

On the last two cruises I tried a lot of the different soups in the MDR.  Many of them are very good...but I guess enough salt and cream should make anything good.

In general, anything beef/steak was an easy pass.  IMO Carnival is just very poor at cuts of beef...probably due to no open flame.

We really really really liked the avocado toast and salmon super salad at the brunch.  12-hour french toast has to be tried once by everybody.  The yogurt parfait was very good as well..packed with nuts and raisins.  To this day we make fun of those who just cannot get away from ordering the greasy omelets or bland pancakes during the brunch...we figure they go all Denny's once they sit down.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Badfinger said:

In general, anything beef/steak was an easy pass.  IMO Carnival is just very poor at cuts of beef...probably due to no open flame.

Minus the new, grisly, steak cut, I've always enjoyed beef on Carnival. The breakfast filet was always very good. The flat iron at dinner was acceptable. As many others said here, the short rib is a must. I've generally liked the Prime Rib as well.

Chicken Katsu at Bonsai

Miso at Bonsai

Poached eggs & Fixins- Emeril's 

Halibut at Rudi's 

I really enjoy the speciality dining options over the buffet and MDR. The Excel class ships have really stepped up Carnival's food game for included, though. I love the Schwarma and Sea Dogs additions, plus Street Eats. Big Chicken is also great, better than Guy's in my opinion. And the Quatro pizza is one of our all time favorites!

Short ribs

Mongolian Wok (or Jiji's stir-fry bowl)

Prime Rib 

Shawarma (MG) 

Bulgogi Beef (MG) 

Burritos from Blue Iguana 

Guy's Burgers, and pulled pork at lunch

Lasagna bolognese 

Cucina pasta bowls at lunch

Shaq's Big Chicken (MG) 

16 hours ago, Clarasgrandma said:

Deli - I just discovered the turkey sandwich that had the avocado on it, on our last cruise. It was sooooo tasty! I know it’s been changed on the current menu.

Forgot about this. My wife absolutely loved this last cruise.

16 hours ago, Clarasgrandma said:

MDR Breakfast - Broken Egg Sandwich, Indian meal, homemade granola

We were chatting with a couple on the tender back from HMC and she pulled out a big bag of the granola.  I haven't tried it yet but she loved it and they always take a baggie to bring some for a snack.  

The pizza is my favourite.  

Huevos Rancheros from the MDR.  The ones from Blue Iguana weren't as good. 

1 minute ago, 1kaper said:

We were chatting with a couple on the tender back from HMC and she pulled out a big bag of the granola.  I haven't tried it yet but she loved it and they always take a baggie to bring some for a snack.  

The pizza is my favourite.  

Huevos Rancheros from the MDR.  The ones from Blue Iguana weren't as good. 

Well now I'm gonna have to try those!  Do you know if they serve them on "non-sea brunch" days?

Just now, Island Dog said:

Well now I'm gonna have to try those!  Do you know if they serve them on "non-sea brunch" days?

I do not.  I am not usually a breakfast person so I only went to the MDR on a sea day. 

• Thanks 1