Dining changes

MeganGC1983

On 11/5/2022 at 10:11 AM, ShakyBeef said:

Although I agree that Carnival should raise the cruisefares to what is needed to keep a reasonable profit while maintaining product quality, I think they are unlikely to choose this route because it will scare away their target audience - the "I want to get me on a ship as cheap as I can" cruiser.  The onboard experience cutbacks aren't necessarily considered (or even known about, in the case of Blue Cards) by this target audience.  Carnival will keep cutting back as deep as they can while filling their ships with thousands willing to settle for what Carnival gives them.

A couple of weeks ago I was pricing out a solo 11/26, 7 day cruise. Its been a long time since I've sailed on Carnival and I really want to try the Panorama. The cruise was about $800 more than the Princess Discovery with the drink pkg, gratuities & WiFi. I realize I'm not really comparing apple to apples with the two ships but I just can't justify that much difference in cost.

Someday, I'll get back to Carnival but I really think their prices are high right now.

The increase in food charges doesn't really effect me at all, I'm not a big eater.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

So long  as I am paying "Denny's " prices and getting better than "Denny's" food, I'm good. I also hope they lessen room cleaning to once or twice a week. If people want to pay more to get more, there are so many ways they can do that [steakhouse, other pay venues, Havana rooms.']

I, for one, want Carnival to survive. Instead of grousing about Carnival's food being inferior and in a lesser quantity than you are used to eating at home, just stop complaining about Carnival and spend a ridiculous ammount of money on a ridiculously pretentious cruiseline and leave Carnival to those of us who love Carnival's food.  

I

pretentious now that's funny! Just because a cruise line has better food than Carnival doesn't make them pretentious. You also don't have to spend a ridiculous amount of money to sail on the other so called pretentious cruise lines.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Drazil65 said:

Like a week or so ago they changed Mardi Gras bookings from San Juan to Nassau because they can't afford the fuel anymore.

This upsets us more than the meal changes.  We don't order more entrees anyway and we don't go to the steakhouse, but going to Nassau instead of San Juan is a problem for us.  Now, the only decent port is Grand Turk.  Nassau and Amber Cove are stay on the ship ports for us.  We've already been looking into other lines (mainly MSC) that offer four nice ports for a seven day cruise.  But you are right, it seems to be some new change or cutback every week and sometimes every day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lee Cruiser said:

This upsets us more than the meal changes.  We don't order more entrees anyway and we don't go to the steakhouse, but going to Nassau instead of San Juan is a problem for us.  Now, the only decent port is Grand Turk.  Nassau and Amber Cove are stay on the ship ports for us.  We've already been looking into other lines (mainly MSC) that offer four nice ports for a seven day cruise.  But you are right, it seems to be some new change or cutback every week and sometimes every day.

I agree. Changing ports for no good reason (we just don’t want to hold up our end of the bargain isn’t good enough for me, sorry) is beyond the pale.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I agree. Changing ports for no good reason (we just don’t want to hold up our end of the bargain isn’t good enough for me, sorry) is beyond the pale.

We get it you aren't a Carnival fan. They haven't said why San Juan has been changed. it's just speculation so you're assuming "no good reason". When you book a cruise you agree to ports can be changed etc.

But paying 2x or more for San Juan then getting Nassau I'd be angry also.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

The funfetti cheesecake is their best dessert from the buffet. So if you don't like it, don't waste your time with anything else in my opinion.

I've got to try it! 4 of us plan to split one. If the other's find it crazy good they will order more. I am a 'lean diabetic', meaning I am diabetic despite being thin and physically active. My doctor told me I can have one bite of anything, even if it's not a great food for me. so long as I take a 45 minute stroll within 20 minutes of ingestion. That one bite splurge makes my quality of life so good, but I can only do it if there are others to eat the rest because I don't believe in wasting food. I also follow this rule with an occassional bite of bread. This way I never feel deprived and I am allowed to eat my entire escargot appetizer and don't have to share with anyone!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, christyran1228 said:

The cakes always look so beautiful, but everytime I've tried one it's been completely dry and tasteless.  I'll be going into this funfetti cheesecake thing in a couple weeks with an open mind, though.  Lol

I've had the funfetti cheesecake on my last two cruises and it was surprisingly good. I cruise again in less than a month and I'm hoping they haven't found a way to screw it up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, christyran1228 said:

The cakes always look so beautiful, but everytime I've tried one it's been completely dry and tasteless.  I'll be going into this funfetti cheesecake thing in a couple weeks with an open mind, though.  Lol

In my opinion, the only cakes worth the calories would be the ones at the specialty coffee place (chocolate, cheesecake, and occasionally carrot cake). They're heavy, decadent, and (here's the KEY) not free !! Having said that - I don't much care for the various donuts they have there... they look amazing, but often fall short of my expectations.

Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Rudyard said:

This right here is why I don't worry about bacon not being available some days. Even on the days when they do serve it, it's often inedible. And I'm not one that needs his bacon super crispy, just not see through. 

This forum is funny with its echo chambers. "Inedible" is used when something isn't to your preference. Where outside of Cruise Critic, inedible means something completely different. I can't remember the last time I went to some sort of unlimited bacon setting, serving thick-cut. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Joebucks said:

This forum is funny with its echo chambers. "Inedible" is used when something isn't to your preference. Where outside of Cruise Critic, inedible means something completely different. I can't remember the last time I went to some sort of unlimited bacon setting, serving thick-cut. 

I think he is implying it's not cooked enough, not too thin. But I could be wrong.

I don't agree with the "changes" strategy, but if you must have bacon cooked to your liking just go to the dining room for breakfast. They will accommodate your requests and serve you bacon everyday. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Island Dog said:

I think he is implying it's not cooked enough, not too thin. But I could be wrong.

I don't agree with the "changes" strategy, but if you must have bacon cooked to your liking just go to the dining room for breakfast. They will accommodate your requests and serve you bacon everyday. 

I don't know... trying to get them to come up with toast that is both uncut (for my sunny side up eggs) and extra crispy ("almost burnt") is next to impossible. Now, if they could just give me access to their kitchen for a brief moment. 😉

Tom

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

7 meals in one day—no problem, 4 prime rib meals in one meal—gluttony—which is OK but pay for it yourself.

Forgive me, but this seems to be an odd way of looking at things. Especially from a doctor that treats eating disorders. 

Examples of gluttony:

Eating outside of a prescribed time (mindless eating) Anticipating eating with preoccupied longing. Consuming costly foods (eating lavishly simply for the purpose of conspicuous consumption) Not being content with “common” foods; always seeking delicacies (or, perhaps, Supersizing)

I don't know about you, but I think just about every cruiser is "guilty of gluttony" somewhere in the above examples. I think not only Carnival, but the entire industry, has glorified the expectation of gluttony onboard. IMHO gluttony is still being tolerated, but now you are going to have to pay for SOME of it. Entrées make the most sense as most people go to the MDR for dinner (while skipping it for other meals) and you are already in a venue where other upcharge transactions happen (wine, cocktails, better steak, etc) so it's easier to take payment for extra entrées (the most costly items on the menu). These people are free to be "gluttons" with apps, on the buffet or at any other complimentary dining venue. 

I'm not looking to challenge your clinical opinions, I'm just having a hard time seeing your point of view. Just my opinion,  as usual, take it or leave it.

• Like 1