Dining changes

MeganGC1983

Just now, illinoisfive said:

Did I miss something?  Where does it say third entree is $5 in MDR?  I don't mind but I am confused.

Not sure, I didn't read the screenshots.  It was in the email I received. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good grief, didn't we just bump the prices a couple months ago?

I don't blame Carnival since this hyperinflation isn't their fault, but I don't think I would pay $48 for the steakhouse.

I usually only order one of each course in the MDR anyways so this won't affect me.  I can already see the people who order seven lobster tails having a meltdown though 🤣

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, angela12345 said:

I don't see anything about the 3rd main being charged ?  Was that on a later screenshot that was not posted here ?

It most definitely said that in the email I received.  You can still get a 2nd entre for no additional charge but a 3rd will be $5.  It's extremely rare that I ever order 2 entrees (it only happens if my wife and I want to try something new and we'll share), but I really can't even imagine getting a third entre.

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I got the email too. Only thing I really loved was the lobster rolls and JiJis..though I did love the steak house I hit up twice.

Go look at rcl and you will feel better. I always order the surf and turf. I know I should change it up but it's just so good at the steak place. Just right sized. 

Rcl no longer offers a surf and turf. There is a upcharge for a 1.5 lb lobster .. on top of the price.

....though on rcl I do get bogo ... maybe carnival will add some loyalty discount some day. But I loved eating their cheaper pay restaurants on carnival.  To me quite the deal. Sorry it's going up. But still good. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, angela12345 said:

I don't see anything about the 3rd main being charged ?  Was that on a later screenshot that was not posted here ?

In addition, we want you to enjoy your favorites and sample offerings you haven’t tried before while dining with us in the main dining room, but we encourage you to follow the golden rule of dining:  take what you want but eat what you take.  And remember, you can always ask for a half-portion if something looks too enticing to pass up.  Guests may continue to order a second complimentary entrée if they choose; however, effective immediately, a third entrée will incur a US$5 charge (AU$7).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From a quick search it seems that the steakhouse is still less than other lines (not sure on quality as I have only sailed Carnival) but its a good experience. 

I don't think I have ever ordered 2 entree's yet alone wanting 3, having a charge almost seems reasonable. 

The hours on the ice cream stations seems to be a little restrictive. I can understand over night but 11am starts seem late. Maybe 10-1 would be a better time frame but that is just me being picky... 

• Like 4

Just now, talkorpi said:

I don't blame Carnival since this hyperinflation isn't their fault, but I don't think I would pay $48 for the steakhouse.

I usually only order one of each course in the MDR anyways so this won't affect me.  I can already see the people who order seven lobster tails having a meltdown though 🤣

Yeah it was like six months ago. I bought a bunch of specialty dining for future cruises before that one took effect so it's going to be an even better investment now. Much better than putting my money in the stock market.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Just now, Lee Cruiser said:

I rarely (never on most cruises) eat the soft serve as I am not a fan.  However, I've seen lots of people eating it early in the morning.

Maybe if enough of us call John Heald names and threaten to never sail Carnival again unless we can get ice cream for breakfast .......   

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

7 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Yeah it was like six months ago. I bought a bunch of specialty dining for future cruises before that one took effect so it's going to be an even better investment now. Much better than putting my money in the stock market.

That's what I thought.  I was planning on waiting to buy on-board to see if they had a "specialty dining package" but with the increase it would've made any potential savings irrelevant.  Ended up pre-booking the steakhouse and Jiji the day before the price hike.  Now I feel like I got a bargain with the new prices from this news...

Edited by talkorpi
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, talkorpi said:

Yep. We didn't go to the steakhouse back when it was an extra $30 or so per person.  Certainly wouldn't do it now.  How many would really do that?

• Like 5

I gotta admit I'm kinda glad they are discontinuing the late night soft serve.  I can't tell you how many times I've walked past those machines late at might and have seen children and teenagers (usually in groups) sticking their mouths directly on the spigots and cranking the soft serve into their mouths and onto the deck floor in the process.  Disgusting.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I see no problem with this, I had Rudi's on the Mardi Gras and it was worth every penny, the Cioppino (fisherman stew) was to die for. I would pay just so I could have that again. LOL!!! As far as a charge for a 3rd main, the price is not bad and maybe it will cut down on food waste which is really a big problem.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Yep. We didn't go to the steakhouse back when it was an extra $30 or so per person.  Certainly wouldn't do it now.  How many would really do that?

I would. And will. I personally love the Steakhouse experience and food.  It's a treat to myself. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Lee Cruiser said:

I, for one (actually, my family, for four), will not mind paying $48 each for the Steakhouse as long as the food and service quality is maintained.  But I don't want to pay that price and get crappier food and less attentive service than I am used to there.  Everything costs more these days.  We can't expect prices to stay the same on board when they are going up for everything on land.  I just hate it when the quality of the product itself is cut back.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, da_v said:

From a quick search it seems that the steakhouse is still less than other lines (not sure on quality as I have only sailed Carnival) but its a good experience. 

I don't think I have ever ordered 2 entree's yet alone wanting 3, having a charge almost seems reasonable. 

The hours on the ice cream stations seems to be a little restrictive. I can understand over night but 11am starts seem late. Maybe 10-1 would be a better time frame but that is just me being picky... 

I ate with a lady and her daughter who ordered every single entree and appetizer on carnival. Everyone else at the table fled. I should have. They would take a bite or two and then shove it aside. There are people who go too far. I'm good with the change. Always the buffet. 

I'd say rcl steak is similar quality. But I'm not a expert. Its $64 but they have lots of sales and I get bogo, buy one get one free every cruise. So half. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see so much wasted soft serve ice cream, its stupid.

Half eaten cones or bowls tossed aside, kids and drunks making a mess of it late night and they're broken as often as McDonalds' ice cream machines.

No big loss

Good beef costs more

• Like 4