Dining changes

MeganGC1983

38 minutes ago, pe4all said:

$48 fior a full soup to nuts steakhouse meal is still a bargain in my book.

I would agree if you were not also usually giving up a 4-5 course meal in the dining room that is already included in your cruise fare. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

Meh, I like to eat but rarely do I order two entrees. I will really return an entree if it's not apetizing to me and that is rare.

The ice cream thing, not happy but I get it. Again, like the pre-purchased booze, Carnival is punishing good cruisers for the acts of the bad. I don't agree with that.

ETA - If they drop the Cheers package to anything less than 15, that would probably be the end of my Carnival cruising.

Edited by pc_load_letter
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, crazy4themouse said:

I'm kinda baffled on the moving the lobster to the second "formal" night thing... What does that accomplish?

Maybe it's cheaper if they buy it from one of the islands rather than in the US???

• Like 2

As soon as I read this, I knew I would be used by either my husband or my son to order them a third entree.

Exactly!  DH and DS usually order the additional steak portion from the steakhouse in the MDR if they feel like steak along with their MDR entrée(s).  I will definitely be used for additional entrees no doubt.  

• Like 1

The announcement leaves a barn door open here for more changes: " If we see a menu item that is not popular or think of a better way to serve a food item that can reduce waste, we owe it to our planet to make the right change, while still assuring you plenty of food and tasty treats."

Mmmhmmm.... 'Lobster wasn't being ordered as much since we moved it to the second elegant night so we have removed it from the MDR menu unless you order from the steakhouse offerings in the MDR.' 

• Like 13

Glad I prepaid for my steakhouse reservation for my NYE cruise. Not sure how limiting Soft serve times will help costs? Unless its less product they have to keep refilling into the machines. Only night I would order more then two mains is Lobster night, Yes I am guilty of that. But I am willing to pay the $5 for it. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

The announcement leaves a barn door open here for more changes: " If we see a menu item that is not popular or think of a better way to serve a food item that can reduce waste, we owe it to our planet to make the right change, while still assuring you plenty of food and tasty treats."

Mmmhmmm.... 'Lobster wasn't being ordered as much since we moved it to the second elegant night so we have removed it from the MDR menu unless you order from the steakhouse offerings in the MDR.' 

I don't know if there was more with the screenshots in the OP but the email didn't just blame food waste.  They acknowledged the increase cost of food as well. 

The lobster change wasn't listed under the section that listed the "food waste initiatives". 

• Like 1

$48 for a steakhouse meal with appetizer and dessert is still a pretty good deal! The steak served in the main dining room is not great quality. We still plan to eat at the steakhouse in January. 

I think $5 upcharge for a 3rd entree is pretty reasonable. Go to the buffet if you want unlimited food!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Glad I prepaid for my steakhouse reservation for my NYE cruise. Not sure how limiting Soft serve times will help costs? Unless its less product they have to keep refilling into the machines. Only night I would order more then two mains is Lobster night, Yes I am guilty of that. But I am willing to pay the $5 for it. 

Soft serve was listed under the food waste initiative.  

"While ice cream for breakfast or at 2:00 am sounds like a great idea when you’re on vacation, the truth is that we are seeing lots of waste, and this is one of those times when we ask guests to join us in our efforts to reduce food waste in a way that will have a negligible impact on the overall vacation experience.  "

• Like 2

I am actually happy to see this (Carnival trying to minimize food waste).  With inflation at a 40-year high businesses can't keep going on with business as usual.  They either have to try to contain costs or raise prices.  I guess Carnival is doing a little of both, but it's understandable.  Add me to the list of people who really hate to see all the food wasted on ships (it's bothered me for years).  I know... I know ... it's not "wasted", it's fed to the fish.  Well, if Carnival has to keep paying top dollar to feed the fish, they are going to pass that price on to their customers (they have no choice).

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Not sure how limiting Soft serve times will help costs? Unless its less product they have to keep refilling into the machines.

Not only less product they have to keep pouring into the machines, but also, I'm guessing, the machines can be turned off for those hours while not in use.  As well as the ice cream cones stashed away until the hours soft serve is available.

Seriously, if just my limited experience is at all representative, there is A LOT of wasted soft serve on every Carnival cruise.  And I don't even cruise the Megaships or during school vacation times.  I can't imagine how bad it is on those sailings.   I can't help but see it all over - not just the kids with their mouths on the spigots, but dumped and abandoned cones and cups all over the ship - stairwells, hallways, elevators, even in potted plants.  I know it's not just kids.  Sometimes it's drunk or otherwise obnoxious adults as well.  I'm certain this cut in soft serve hours will save CCL measurable money.

• Like 1

I abhor food waste and honestly see most of the waste in the buffet. If I order extra entrées I always try to clean my plate. I was an unwilling member of "The clean plate club" and reminded of the "poor starving children" when I resisted.

However, I am not seeing emails or announcements of this nature from any other line and it is starting to make me worried about Carnival's solvency moving forward as it seems we are getting notifications on "changes" near every other day. I'm gonna sit on the sidelines after this next cruise and see how it all pans out. Wouldn't want to see my hard earned money disappear in the name of bankruptcy.

Edited by Island Dog
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, talkorpi said:

I guess I would be in the same boat but on our cruise in May we had the only negative crew experience of the entire cruise on the first night in the Steakhouse.  The food was amazing but we had very bad service and the crew were honestly rude, which was the first time I have ever experienced that in our five cruises.  To me, $100 for two people needs to have great service on top of the food.  

Here's to hoping our experience was just a one-off bad night for them.  I wouldn't be back for the new price based on my last experience.

We had a bad experience in the steakhouse too. Someone with me asked for a paper menu and got lectured on learning how to do qr codes. The couple next to us was mid 80s and got the same lecture and neither could get a paper menu. We ordered from memory. He was very rude. 

I guess if I get my surf and turf I was happy with the food but service stunk. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Island Dog said:

I wonder what tomorrow's email is going to reveal? 🤔

- Limited to 5 lunches per day

- Limited to 15 towels in the stateroom at once

- Nightclub closes at 3am

- Limited to 1 lounge chair per person

When will it end? Why would I even want to cruise anymore?!

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, talkorpi said:

I guess I would be in the same boat but on our cruise in May we had the only negative crew experience of the entire cruise on the first night in the Steakhouse.  The food was amazing but we had very bad service and the crew were honestly rude, which was the first time I have ever experienced that in our five cruises.  To me, $100 for two people needs to have great service on top of the food.  

when i was on the magic in june i had negative experience with the steakhouse. even with reservations they was no tables for me and the only option was the bar area setup they had that was empty. i thought with reservations they are suppose to hold you a spot

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, TeresaJ said:

$48 for a steakhouse meal with appetizer and dessert is still a pretty good deal! The steak served in the main dining room is not great quality. We still plan to eat at the steakhouse in January. 

I think $5 upcharge for a 3rd entree is pretty reasonable. Go to the buffet if you want unlimited food!

The main time someone wants a 3rd entree I bet is lobster night. Some wants 3 lobsters. ..even if nothing else, skip the appetizer and dessert. I'm all about the lobster. Though 3 is a bit much for me I bet many men can eat 3 lobsters.

• Like 1

I can handle these changes.

However, Carnival will need to re-write some of the CDs' "patter" about 24-hour free ice cream as the consolation prize at various games and insist the comedians do the same with their jokes about all-day/all-night ice cream availability.

Edited by Out of Iowa
edit
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, hard_eight said:

The soft serve station typically looks like a bomb went off near it.

I usually love the soft serve... However on my last CCL it was a mess (spring break time). Didn't have one the whole cruise. I liked RC serving it. I realize that would be a labor trade off, but just the germs on that thing icky

• Like 5