Dining changes

MeganGC1983

I read this email, and the others they sent over the past few months.

I personally concluded Carnival is no longer offering us the on board experience they sold us nearly a year ago.

While each individual change has been small, and some may say insignificant, the totality of them all together is a MAJOR change.

While I understand the contract of carriage gives the passenger zero rights for such changes, the sprit of the terms of sale has been damaged. Like purchasing a nice mid-range car with power windows and leather interior, but on delivery getting hand cranks and fabric. Same capabilities, room, etc. but a depressing interior.

I did try to cancel our upcoming sailing, but as is their right, they would not allow without a large forfeiture.

I am fortunate enough to be able to afford other lines and AI properties, but have been sticking around due the perks of high status, which is no longer worth it. Carnivals strategy is to target new cruisers, as in those whom do not know what to expect and attempt to raise a loyal customer base on their current service levels.

It is my opinion they will no longer survive the massive debt load and alienating loyal customers, and am now planning my CCL exit strategy. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

The main time someone wants a 3rd entree I bet is lobster night. Some wants 3 lobsters. ..even if nothing else, skip the appetizer and dessert. I'm all about the lobster. Though 3 is a bit much for me I bet many men can eat 3 lobsters.

I only order 2 lobster and one cruise our waitor brought 4 extra and said they had way to many for the night. This was the 1st elegant night. so if they have a lot left over, they might bring you more. BY the way, i shared with the table. lol.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, linbobky said:

I only order 2 lobster and one cruise our waitor brought 4 extra and said they had way to many for the night. This was the 1st elegant night. so if they have a lot left over, they might bring you more. BY the way, i shared with the table. lol.

To be fair, the Steakhouse is still a massive bargain compared to Mortons Or Capital Grille. Yes not the same ambiance but one steak there costs $54. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Island Dog said:

However, I am not seeing emails or announcements of this nature from any other line and it is starting to make me worried about Carnival's solvency moving forward as it seems we are getting notifications on "changes" near every other day. I'm gonna sit on the sidelines after this next cruise and see how it all pans out. Wouldn't want to see my hard earned money disappear in the name of bankruptcy.

I have to wonder if other lines are simply making those changes and not providing announcements that effect.  TBH, I think that on most other lines there were already some of these restrictions (if you choose to call them that) in place and higher prices for their alternative dining venues.  It was Carnival's efforts to maintain the low price point that caused them to have to raise it now.  Their margins on these items were just too low to absorb the increased sourcing costs.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, shof515 said:

when i was on the magic in june i had negative experience with the steakhouse. even with reservations they was no tables for me and the only option was the bar area setup they had that was empty. i thought with reservations they are suppose to hold you a spot

That would have really upset me.  I agree with you, that's what reservations mean: there is a table waiting for your party.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dallasdan said:

I never knew we could order half portions.  I will definitely start ordering half portions from now on.  This way I don't have to explain why I didn't eat all my dinner.  

My Wife has always wanted this, but I bet when she orders this, the staff is going to have no clue this is a thing. Carnival has a real problem getting this info disseminated. 

• Like 3

I guess I really don’t mind these changes. I don’t eat ice cream in the middle of the night, I’ve never ordered 3 entrees, and I guess the steak house rise in prices kind of sucks but I also get it. Inflating and costs are so bad right now, something has to give. 

• Like 3

My view is below. It’s not very nice, but it is what it is.

- I pay $48 if I just go to sorry Red Lobster. I will gladly pay $48 for a very good steakhouse experience or even Rudi’s. Benihana for 2 is often over $100 AFTER their $30 birthday certificate. That is expensive in my book. Granted I usually get 2 meals out of the experience, but it is still expensive. We don’t order anything fancy besides sushi roll appetizer, entrée, and drink. I am sure Carnival’s Bonsai Teppanyaki will be just as good if not better!

- Ice cream… who needs ice cream at 3 AM? Drink some water, sober up, and take your behind to bed! Just imagine these off hours the time that they are using the clean the machines. 90% of the time they were turned off and not working anyway. I don’t understand the big deal about 11 AM – Midnight ice cream. That is all day and well into the night! Are people really eating a gallon+ ice cream per day when not cruising? I highly doubt it. I also doubt that they are rolling out of bed in the middle of the night and waking up at 6 AM running to the freezer for ice cream.

- Water… again what is the big deal? Let’s do the math. Twelve 16.9 oz bottles for $9.95 comes to $0.83 per bottle. Many of us walk into a gas station and come out with a $3 bottle of water. Anyone ever been to Disney or any other theme park? What about a sporting event? The price is the same! Even if you get the eight 50.72 oz bottles the still comes to $2.50 per bottle. This is STILL very reasonable. Yes, it is a price increase from what is used to be, but doesn’t cost of living and everything go up every single year?

I think people like to complain just for the fun of it. If you must cry about $5 meal increase, a $0.83 bottle of water, and reduced hours on the ice cream then you have bigger issues and probably should not be cruising. Yeah, I said it! Sorry, not sorry.

Edited by NanoGirl21
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

38 minutes ago, asalligo said:

My Wife has always wanted this, but I bet when she orders this, the staff is going to have no clue this is a thing. Carnival has a real problem getting this info disseminated. 

They've always offered small portions of any pasta dish. Honestly that may be what this email is actually referring to.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

I have to wonder if other lines are simply making those changes and not providing announcements that effect.  TBH, I think that on most other lines there were already some of these restrictions (if you choose to call them that) in place and higher prices for their alternative dining venues.  It was Carnival's efforts to maintain the low price point that caused them to have to raise it now.  Their margins on these items were just too low to absorb the increased sourcing costs.

I highly doubt this since I am booked on three other lines and have received no emails and as I frequent the other message boards nobody is complaining of cutbacks when they come back from their cruises.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, linbobky said:

I still think the $5 is mostly about extra lobsters. Some will pay $5 for another lobster. 

I'm on the dream 14 days. Maybe we get 2 days of lobster? It's my favorite. I save my appetite for that dinner.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

To be fair, the Steakhouse is still a massive bargain compared to Mortons Or Capital Grille. Yes not the same ambiance but one steak there costs $54. 

Not if you factor in the pre- paid cruise fare cost of the meal. Secondly comparing Mortons or Capital Grille to the steak on the cruise ship is quite a leap.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Glad I saw this. Just went and purchased it at the $42 rate for my next cruise since it sounds like today is the last day to do that. 

Me too....had trouble getting on web site...must be the stampede..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Mmmhmmm.... 'Lobster wasn't being ordered as much since we moved it to the second elegant night so we have removed it from the MDR menu unless you order from the steakhouse offerings in the MDR.' 

That's the Carnival way...make something more difficult to obtain or offer it in a way you know fewer people will partake, then cut it altogether with the excuse that it wasn't popular with guests. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

That's the Carnival way...make something more difficult to obtain or offer it in a way you know fewer people will partake, then cut it altogether with the excuse that it wasn't popular with guests. 

But they don't need some secret plan to make lobster unpopular and then use that excuse to cut it. They could just cut if they wanted..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pyxie said:

But they don't need some secret plan to make lobster unpopular and then use that excuse to cut it. They could just cut if they wanted..

I wouldn't call it a secret.  Carnival has used this method several times to slowly chip away at something before cutting it altogether, rather than ripping the BandAid off.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

That's why I said that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On one of the recent cutback threads I predicted a surcharge for a second entree in the MDR. I wasn't too far off, and Carnival will probably get there eventually. 

On another note, "If we see a menu item that is not popular or think of a better way to serve a food item that can reduce waste, we owe it to our planet to make the right change, while still assuring you plenty of food and tasty treats."  They misspelled we owe it to our continued solvency.  Not sure who they're fooling into thinking these changes are about anything than the dollars.  If Carnival Corp. cared about the planet their ships wouldn't continue to rack up environmental violations and fines.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I wouldn't call it a secret.  Carnival has used this method several times to slowly chip away at something before cutting it altogether, rather than ripping the BandAid off.

Now I know what papa meant about the good old days.  Midnight buffets.....tasting stations for free sample this,  buffets with at least 2 times the selections today, and even tiny things like ship lapel pins which you gotta go hunt for now. Every cruise is just a little bit less....

• Like 9