Living on a cruise ship?

ads321

On 11/3/2022 at 1:28 PM, Hlitner said:

I think an interesting challenge would be negotiating terms/price with a cruise line.  As to The World, we once saw that ship (docked in Key West) and spoke to a few of it's residents.  My impression was that the folks on that vessel were extremely wealthy and routinely would leave the ship to do other kinds of travel or visit family.  The one couple, with whom we had a long chat, told us they probably did not spend more than 8 months a year on The World as they would often spend significant time traveling (on land) and living in favorite places. 

That makes sense, as in they aren't on for the whole year. It's great that you got to speak to a couple that lives on The World. Did they say if the residents were international or mainly from the US?

41 minutes ago, ads321 said:

That makes sense, as in they aren't on for the whole year. It's great that you got to speak to a couple that lives on The World. Did they say if the residents were international or mainly from the US?

Never asked.  We just met these folks, while The World was spending a day docked in Key West and we happened to be vacationing in that same city.  The folks we met (actually two couples) were all Americans in their 60s - 70s and loaded down with shopping bags.  We chatted about the cost of living on a ship, and they said that the World is a lot more expensive than if they had simply decided to live on a normal ship.  But The World made it possible for them to own their own ship-based Condo and they had a lot more space and amenities (such as a working kitchenette).   

Hank

We've met people living on board on two ships, both with P&O, which is quite important because the ships do different itineraries out of Southampton of different lengths- so you might have 11 days to the Canaries followed by a fortnight in the Med, a week in Norway, and a weekend in Amsterdam, returning to Southampton after each cruise.

The first was a person on his own, who was trying this life for a year, with a home in the UK.

The second was a couple who had bought a flat in Southampton so that they could use the turnaround day to see to their affairs. Sometimes they left the ship if it was doing a 2 night cruise, or even a 4 night one, to visit doctors, dentists, banks etc. 

The problem comes when the ships begin their long cruises in winter- 2 ships go to the Caribbean for months; another has a world cruise.

The single person moved ships to the one which stays in Southampton for the winter, but that ship, Ventura, does 2  longer cruises to the Caribbean and back to Soton, then to the USA and more northerly Carib islands- both cruises are around 28 to 30 days.

Some other ships port in Soton for the summer and also have varied itineraries, but return to the USA for winter.

It might be that you could change ships within the line during the winter.

Enjoy finding out!  🙂

Edited by jocap

On 11/4/2022 at 9:26 PM, jocap said:

We've met people living on board on two ships, both with P&O, which is quite important because the ships do different itineraries out of Southampton of different lengths- so you might have 11 days to the Canaries followed by a fortnight in the Med, a week in Norway, and a weekend in Amsterdam, returning to Southampton after each cruise.

The first was a person on his own, who was trying this life for a year, with a home in the UK.

The second was a couple who had bought a flat in Southampton so that they could use the turnaround day to see to their affairs. Sometimes they left the ship if it was doing a 2 night cruise, or even a 4 night one, to visit doctors, dentists, banks etc. 

The problem comes when the ships begin their long cruises in winter- 2 ships go to the Caribbean for months; another has a world cruise.

The single person moved ships to the one which stays in Southampton for the winter, but that ship, Ventura, does 2  longer cruises to the Caribbean and back to Soton, then to the USA and more northerly Carib islands- both cruises are around 28 to 30 days.

Some other ships port in Soton for the summer and also have varied itineraries, but return to the USA for winter.

It might be that you could change ships within the line during the winter.

Enjoy finding out!  🙂

Thanks for your msg. That's cool re the single guy and couple you're talking about - was that a long time ago or recently? It would be great to find them and ask them about their experiences and if they still live / hop on and off ships.

I've also had this thought but agree, after really thinking about it; "living" on a traditional cruise ship holds no appeal. It would have to be a residence ship. Otherwise you will have no kitchen facilities, limited storage, changing cabins as needed. It would never feel like a "home". Plus stuck with the same dinner menus, shows, activities, and port stops on repeat. For most people, a residency ship is prohibitively expensive, so, not in our future. 

Plus, while being on vacation full time sounds like fun in theory, it would stop being fun pretty quickly. Eventually it would just turn into the mundane of daily life. The fun of vacations is to get away from that and go and do something new!

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

I've also had this thought but agree, after really thinking about it; "living" on a traditional cruise ship holds no appeal. It would have to be a residence ship. Otherwise you will have no kitchen facilities, limited storage, changing cabins as needed. It would never feel like a "home". Plus stuck with the same dinner menus, shows, activities, and port stops on repeat. For most people, a residency ship is prohibitively expensive, so, not in our future. 

A true RTW cruise you would not be repeating the ports   & you would not be changing cabins

if they have open dining  then you can sit with new people  each day

But yes the other factors  would still have limited storage  same menus every 2 weeks  same shows  rtc..

Some people adapt  well to that but others  do not

it is  something people have to consider if you are  a person that can be stuck with the same people for  3 to 9 mths

I wonder how a cruise line would price a live-aboard booking.  While the passenger would naturally assume some sort of discount because of the longer booking, the line would realize that someone essentially permanently on board would likely spend a lot less per week than would a regular cruiser in on-board spending (which amounts to a significant income stream for the line) so the line would probably not be interested in discounting the basic fare.

Additionally, would a long term passenger be likely to want to tip at the levels expected of one- and two-week cruisers?   I suspect the staff would not be happy with the financial outcome.

51 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

A true RTW cruise you would not be repeating the ports   & you would not be changing cabins

if they have open dining  then you can sit with new people  each day

But yes the other factors  would still have limited storage  same menus every 2 weeks  same shows  rtc..

Some people adapt  well to that but others  do not

it is  something people have to consider if you are  a person that can be stuck with the same people for  3 to 9 mths

yes, I was speaking more for living on a cruise ship that does 1-2 week cruises, not an ATW. an ATW cruise is a completely different experience. If we ever take an ATW cruise that would be a one off trip of a lifetime, not a new living situation. But, even 9 months on a cruise ship would take away the "special" of it for me. I've traveled up to 4 weeks at a time, and I'm definitely ready to get back to a normal living style by then. I'm a routine person. Vacations break the routine and are a nice escape. But I can't eat and live like that for months on end. 

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

I've traveled up to 4 weeks at a time, and I'm definitely ready to get back to a normal living style by then. I'm a routine person. Vacations break the routine and are a nice escape. But I can't eat and live like that for months on end. 

Yes I agree 

as I said  some people adapt  well to being away on a ship or land  & others  do not do as well

We did 3 mtns in Florida  after 6 wks  I wanted my home  😉

On a ship for 5 wks   I am ready for  my home

JMO

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Anyone capable of stopping to think (who had any sort of worthwhile life at home) would quickly realize that living a month or so on a cruise ship would quickly make them yearn for a real home.

Note to self...apparently  I haven't stopped to think , nor do I have any sort of a worthwhile life at home. 🙄

@navybankerteacher, thanks for pointing that out! Apparently even though you've never met me you know more about me than I know about myself. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Note to self...apparently  I haven't stopped to think , nor do I have any sort of a worthwhile life at home. 🙄

@navybankerteacher, thanks for pointing that out! Apparently even though you've never met me you know more about me than I know about myself. 🤣

Same here. 

We travel more than we are home. We are currently in our motor home and have cruised 87 nights this year, with 10 to go in Antartica next month. The previous cruises have included B2B and B2B2B ones. Time on board was 23 days, 17 days, 14 days, and 33 days. 

Silly me, I thought we were having a magnificient time visiting over 30 countries and 5 continents this year. I also thought we enjoyed being at home and spending time with our wonderful adult children (two of whom hold down the fort while we are gone, and one of those pays rent, the other is still in college). All of our wonderful friends and family are aparently worthless. Good to know. 

Aren't we fortunate to have someone who clearly knows all people and all circumstances at all times everywhere to let us know that we, and countless others like us, are wrong. 🙄🙄🙄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/7/2022 at 5:47 PM, ads321 said:

Thanks for your msg. That's cool re the single guy and couple you're talking about - was that a long time ago or recently? It would be great to find them and ask them about their experiences and if they still live / hop on and off ships.

No, it's a few years back now, and I've not heard of them since.

Don't forget that insurance will be needed- you'd probably have to get an annual one; if you live near to Soton you could get off for medical treatment on turnaround day, but the line likes to have your insurance details on your personal folder.

Tipping can be a problem, although P&O doesn't have any tipping, but many lines do...

Enjoy searching!

On 11/3/2022 at 3:58 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

- You'd have to pay tips every week. 

Are tips absolutely not negotiable? I would have thought, as a 'permanent' fixture, you wouldn't actually need or want much 'fussing' and you'd take care of yourself more.  So reduced tips might be in order. 

On 11/4/2022 at 4:16 AM, Mary229 said:

You don’t lose your citizenship living elsewhere.  

You lose your right to vote if you aren't an actual resident. I'm a UK citizen but I can't vote as I've been out of the country too long. 

Reference 1:

UK Govt. Site: UK residents overseas will be able to vote in UK's General Election - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) 

"To register as an overseas voter, UK residents overseas must have previously been registered in a UK constituency within the last fifteen years."

Reference 2: British citizens living overseas for 15 years or more lose the right to vote - Brexit Brits Abroad

Edited by Steerpike58
Added references.

I would gladly live aboard. Sell the house and car and all the stuff I have accumulated and ride the waves. No more lawn mowing, snow shoveling, and no more home maintenance. I would want to cobble together long cruises that visit new ports and would change ships as needed. Spend some time ashore to visit family and the dentist, and to reset health insurance coverage. Intersperse some land vacations as the mood hits me. Hey, no more state income taxes, either.

11 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

Are tips absolutely not negotiable? I would have thought, as a 'permanent' fixture, you wouldn't actually need or want much 'fussing' and you'd take care of yourself more.  So reduced tips might be in order. 

If you still take your meals in the dining room you'll have wait staff daily. Not sure how you can "take care of yourself" in regards to meals. I supposed you may keep your room tidy but unless you invest in cleaning supplies, you would still need vacuuming and wiping down done by the cruise. And most importantly, you would be occupying a cabin that could otherwise be filled by a vacationer. So, if you room steward has 20 cabins assigned to them, if you occupy one permanently and pay reduced tips; Now they only have the opportunity to make money off of 19 cabins. 

No, I think full tipping would still be expected. 

• Like 4

On 11/9/2022 at 2:25 AM, njhorseman said:

Haha. Do you do very long stints on cruise ships?

On 11/8/2022 at 8:17 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Anyone capable of stopping to think (who had any sort of worthwhile life at home) would quickly realize that living a month or so on a cruise ship would quickly make them yearn for a real home.

Each to their own.  We enjoy our homelife, but are also very happy spending 2 or 3 months on a trip/cruise.   And on our long cruises we have met many other happy, well-adjusted folks, who are able to balance their travel/cruise life with their home life.   In a sense, our homelife is wherever we take it :).  That is why when we (and many others) step on a ship for a long cruise it is "like going home."

You remind me of an ex Mayor (now deceased) of York, Pennsylvania,  Charlie (his real name) once mentioned that he had never been on a plane or taken a long drive.  When asked why Charlie answered, "I live in York, PA so where else could I possibly want to go!"   Anyone who has spent any time in York would wonder about Charlie's sanity 🙂

Hank

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Yes, I do long stints on cruise ships. 

Wonderful! Where are you now and how long is your current trip? Do you find many others doing what you do, any ever from UK? I read about it in the newspapers here but have yet to chat to someone who lives this kind of life...

14 minutes ago, ads321 said:

Wonderful! Where are you now and how long is your current trip? Do you find many others doing what you do, any ever from UK? I read about it in the newspapers here but have yet to chat to someone who lives this kind of life...

I will jump-in and say we have met quite a few Brits on our longer cruises.  In fact, some have become good friends and visited us here in the USA and we have visited a few of those friends in the UK (all in the South of England).

Hank

1 hour ago, ads321 said:

Do you find many others doing what you do, any ever from UK? I read about it in the newspapers here but have yet to chat to someone who lives this kind of life...

On our  winter cruises  we met a couple that would  get on in Florida in Dec  then sail back  when the headed to  UK or Europe in March or Apr

We would see them several  yrs  in a row

They enjoyed the  warmer Caribbean

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Each to their own.  We enjoy our homelife, but are also very happy spending 2 or 3 months on a trip/cruise.   And on our long cruises we have met many other happy, well-adjusted folks, who are able to balance their travel/cruise life with their home life.   In a sense, our homelife is wherever we take it :).  That is why when we (and many others) step on a ship for a long cruise it is "like going home."

You remind me of an ex Mayor (now deceased) of York, Pennsylvania,  Charlie (his real name) once mentioned that he had never been on a plane or taken a long drive.  When asked why Charlie answered, "I live in York, PA so where else could I possibly want to go!"   Anyone who has spent any time in York would wonder about Charlie's sanity 🙂

Hank

There is a massive difference between “living on a cruise ship” (which implies that it is your home) and taking long cruises, perhaps mixed with land stays, away from your HOME (which I happen to enjoy as well).(or 

This thread started (at least) contemplating on “living on a cruise ship” — which I continue to feel would be a dismal existence.