Mobility and me. An upsetting morning.

indiana123

A few years ago I had an accident in a lift, in Rome, en route to a cruise.  Sadly I now need to use a mobility scooter for walking any distance, but do not use aids at home.

In 2021 we went on Queen Elizabeth, it was magic, and I took my tiny scooter with me.  We decided to book Queen Victoria  and presumed the same rules would apply and we could take the scooter.  OH did submit the welfare form  well after booking  as we didn't see a problem, having just got off QE.  

We have  been told this morning that I can't  take my scooter, for health and safety reasons.   OK we understand there are rules but we are being told that we would probably be able to have a Mobility at Sea electric wheelchair.

The above doesn't make sense.   My little scooter folds in 7 seconds  then it is only 14" high.  It only weighs 17 kilos.  It wheels like a small suitcase and in fact we are told it can go in overhead lockers on planes.  It also stores under the bed.    The electric  wheelchair we could possibly  hire is much bigger than my scooter,  weighs 36 kilos, doesn't fold up small and wont slide out of the way.

We lose 75% if we cancel.

I understand rules are rules but they are asking me to swap to something bigger, heavier and less versatile than what I already have.   Don't know what to do now..

Trying so hard not to get upset, especially remembering the lovely memories on QE,

• Like 1

Friends rented a folding power chair from MaS pre Covid.

just had a look on their website and there is one called a 12A Electric Foldable Wheelchair. Would that fit the bill?

Edited by Victoria2

Thank you.... yes I might be able to have that but it is  much bigger, and much heavier than my tiny scooter which folds very small, and is only 17 kilos.   Mine is an eFoldi Lite which is the smallest and lightest  on the market, or it was.

Its just that it was fine on QE but not QV.   Never mind..  We just didn't realise there could be a problem.

Thanks, but cruise is sold out.  No changes  either.  We thought we could possibly change to another date with accessible room but it's less than 90 days to cruise so no joy there.

The accessible rooms are the same as we have booked except for bathroom (same grade though) but I don't really need that.  I just need help walking outside the cabin.

Edited by indiana123

I'm sorry you have been disappointed so late in the day. How did you book your cruise?

I don't think the rules have changed since 2021, it was the case then that if you use a mobility scooter you need to book an accessible cabin.

Screenshot_20221104-150641-144.png

• Like 1

On our cruise on QE in November 21 we had a Club Balcony and permission was granted immediately for me to take it.  Unfortunately we presumed this was the case on QV.

Our main query is that they want us to swap my tiny scooter for an electric wheelchair which is a lot bigger and over twice as heavy.

2 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

On our cruise on QE in November 21 we had a Club Balcony and permission was granted immediately for me to take it.  Unfortunately we presumed this was the case on QV.

Our main query is that they want us to swap my tiny scooter for an electric wheelchair which is a lot bigger and over twice as heavy.

Are you thinking of picking it up any time? If so, weight will matter. If not, it won't. Can't vouch for the chair personally but better a folding heavier electric chair than no cruise?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, indiana123 said:

I presume you still have the letter from Cunard giving you permission for QE . I would write to them forwarding the letter, saying given the ships are identical you automatically presumed that it would similiary be allowed on Q.V.. 

Ask them why they have changed their mind. Tell them you booked in good faith given their previous stance and this is more than a major inconvenience 

OR you could take the Ostrich approach. Just turn up and show them the letter saying you could take it on board. They might not even notice it says Q.V. not QE. Even if they do you can then challenge a human being face to face with the nonsensical inconsistency 

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I presume you still have the letter from Cunard giving you permission for QE . I would write to them forwarding the letter, saying given the ships are identical you automatically presumed that it would similiary be allowed on Q.V.. 

Ask them why they have changed their mind. Tell them you booked in good faith given their previous stance and this is more than a major inconvenience 

OR you could take the Ostrich approach. Just turn up and show them the letter saying you could take it on board. They might not even notice it says Q.V. not QE. Even if they do you can then challenge a human being face to face with the nonsensical inconsistency 

or be sensible and hire a chair which will fit the bill and gives no chance of boarding denied. Then complain afterwards.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, indiana123 said:

It's good they've given you an option of their electric chair but from what you're saying you don't wish to use their chair because it's larger?

Kind if yes.  I know my tiny scooter, and I'm not good at change.  With the steering handle in front of me it feels safe somehow.  I think sitting in a chair that moves around will take me time to get used to.  I know what I mean, but its hard to explain.  Familiarity comes into it.  I will do it.. but mind your feet!!!

Also, we just couldn't see the logic in refusing us something small and compact for something larger.  Its not numbers or they would have refused even the electric chair.

Never mind.. Off soon and we will enjoy.

2 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Kind if yes.  I know my tiny scooter, and I'm not good at change.  With the steering handle in front of me it feels safe somehow.  I think sitting in a chair that moves around will take me time to get used to.  I know what I mean, but its hard to explain.  Familiarity comes into it.  I will do it.. but mind your feet!!!

Also, we just couldn't see the logic in refusing us something small and compact for something larger.  Its not numbers or they would have refused even the electric chair.

Having had a relative who required mobility aids, I think you came across an anomaly when allowed a scooter, however small, in a non designated cabin.

I agree that many powered aids can be small, discreet and take up little space but for a company to be aware of the dimensions of all the equipment on the market and to be sure the passenger isn't telling porkies about their own stuff just isn't feasible and so hence the blanket ban.

Go and enjoy and learn how to do wheelies in a chair as opposed to your scooter. 🙂

12 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Having had a relative who required mobility aids, I think you came across an anomaly when allowed a scooter, however small, in a non designated cabin.

I agree that many powered aids can be small, discreet and take up little space but for a company to be aware of the dimensions of all the equipment on the market and to be sure the passenger isn't telling porkies about their own stuff just isn't feasible and so hence the blanket ban.

Go and enjoy and learn how to do wheelies in a chair as opposed to your scooter. 🙂

There is also the anomaly that it was fine on one Vista but not the other.

30 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I think my anomaly covers yours!! 🤣

I don't think any of us know the thoughts and processes  Cunard have for allowing variations on a theme but it is what it is now so any passenger query re their T&Cs should be, queried before assumptions are made.

That's my take anyway. I have learnt, never assume anything. Always ask in life.

44 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

and to be fair, like for like, do we know if it would have been allowed on the other Vista at that time?

Timing might be a factor because let's face it '21 was a slow day at the office! 🙂

Who knows? I certainly don't.

Please don’t shoot me down , this is just a thought.Do you think Cunard are restricting the use of these smaller mobility scooters to deter obese/lazy people from taking them on board.Didn’t the Spanish Costa hotels ban them as non disabled ‘ Brits’( oops  that will upset some of you) were hiring them and careering around all over the place ? I do not think for a moment the OP is not in genuine need.

6 hours ago, indiana123 said:

If you have not got this sorted, would it be worth sending 2 photos( mobility aide standing and collapsed) to either your travel agent or Cunard depending on how you booked?

if TA/Cunard knew about this, it really seems very late to advise you cannot travel, especially after full payment.

On 11/4/2022 at 11:38 PM, indiana123 said:

OH did submit the welfare form  well after booking  as we didn't see a problem, having just got off QE.  

2 hours ago, LadyL1 said:

If you have not got this sorted, would it be worth sending 2 photos( mobility aide standing and collapsed) to either your travel agent or Cunard depending on how you booked?

if TA/Cunard knew about this, it really seems very late to advise you cannot travel, especially after full payment.

The OP did admit they submitted the welfare form 'well after booking' though so Cunard may not be entirely to blame for late advising of the matter.

19 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

19 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

19 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

or be sensible and hire a chair which will fit the bill and gives no chance of boarding denied. Then complain afterwards.

I think Victoria 2 is right would need a back up to ostrich approach. 

Firstly keep  asking why they have changed rules,  quoting previous letter.

If no luck hire the wheel chair they advise as a backstop. 

Assuming  OP is arriving in their own car. Take their prefered mini scooter with them and previous letter authorising it. Try and use this letter to get on on ship with preferred mini scooter.  If they till say no , put mini scooter back in car and take the wheel chair. 

• Like 1

I’m confused.  Is Cunard offering them this option, or are they requiring them to rent this chair?  

12 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Rather like driving a rental car with make and model totally different.  EM

Assuming  OP is arriving in their own car. Take their prefered mini scooter with them and previous letter authorising it. Try and use this letter to get on on ship with preferred mini scooter.  If they till say no , put mini scooter back in car and take the wheel chair. 

Not really an option if using CPS etc as anyone with the authority to say yea or nay will be nowhere near kerbside.

Edited by Victoria2

They change rules, policies and procedures all the time.

when many of us booked, we could move our monies paid to Cunard towards another cruise, should we test positive. That has changed, now we need to apply to insurance for refund , if we cannot sail. Before, we had the choice. We weren’t notified of the change and they were within all the terms and conditions to do whatever.

The minimum wage person you will be arguing with has no idea of why policies change or why they are inconsistent. They might not have any fight in them and will let it go or they might not. But I don’t think arguing is going to get you ahead with anyone. Sympathy works better, then people try and help you out.

It’s rally unfortunate and makes no sense to us, but I suspect that there may be a reason for this chain, but the person you will be talking to will know less than you do.

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Not really an option if using CPS etc as anyone with the authority to say yea or nay will be nowhere near kerbside.

Not an insurmountable problem , just ask nicely if you can leave the car for a few moments whilst you sort out some issues sbout mobility scooter.