Walkie talkies

jackadapt

3 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

Yours Truly,

Alan  😉

I know that you believe I understand what you think you said, but I'm not sure that what I heard is not what you meant

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2022 at 8:07 AM, DirtyDawg said:

But you have to admit walkie talkies are less annoying to people around you versus this ...

Parents, STOP YELLING at the games! | I Love to Watch You Play

Walkie talkies are less annoying than people with their nose in their phones clogging walkways or running into people.   

• Like 3

On 11/5/2022 at 1:30 AM, Ashland said:

Yes allowed but these can be annoying to those around you. ... no reason to take or need these onboard. Anything RCI takes will be returned at the end of your cruise.

So are people on their phones all the time!   

It's too bad that Royal doesn't do what Disney Cruise Lines does with their cabin phones.

Disney cabin phones are portable and act as intercoms between the handsets in a room. There are two of them and they work around the ship and between the ship and Castaway Cay. I found them to be quite convenient when I was separated from my wife on the ship.

24 minutes ago, JupiterTwo said:

It's too bad that Royal doesn't do what Disney Cruise Lines does with their cabin phones.

Disney cabin phones are portable and act as intercoms between the handsets in a room. There are two of them and they work around the ship and between the ship and Castaway Cay. I found them to be quite convenient when I was separated from my wife on the ship.

You might of found it convenient but did she? 😁

• Haha 1

Walkie talkies work fine all over Anthem. I know because my husband is blind and we find this the easiest communication when I am wandering around and he wishes to reach me from the room. Yes, we are older and don’t get all the techie stuff. Sometimes they are confiscated when boarding, but the explanation satisfies and they are returned. Once my husband was relaxing on the balcony and the room steward quickly cleaned up the room and inadvertently locked the balcony door. My husband contacted me by the pool and I returned to let him back in.  We both laughed about it, but glad we had the walkie talkies. So keep laughing at us “old fogies” but we remain young at heart and have overcome a lot in life as we keep on cruisin’.

• Like 7

I've been pondering the same thing.  We'll have our 13-year-old girl and her friend.  The plan is for them to have freedom, but stay together.   The options seem to be.   

• Walkie-talkies which we'd have to buy.  
  • Buy the $2/day messaging plan.
  • Buy the lower internet plan so we can call.   

At the moment I'm leaning toward the messaging plan.  Maybe every time they change locations, they text first.  

32 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I've been pondering the same thing.  We'll have our 13-year-old girl and her friend.  The plan is for them to have freedom, but stay together.   The options seem to be.   

• Walkie-talkies which we'd have to buy.  
  • Buy the $2/day messaging plan.
  • Buy the lower internet plan so we can call.   

At the moment I'm leaning toward the messaging plan.  Maybe every time they change locations, they text first.  

When our kids were younger, we’d let them know where we were, and they’d have to come tell us when they changed locations. When they were teens ships had messaging apps, so they no longer had to let us know. Basically buffet, pool deck or sports court, there really is a finite amount of public places (no going into other’s cabins).

• Like 2

The internet prices add up even if I only figured two devices.   DH will likely be asleep when I get up, so connecting with him would be nice so then you have three devices.  
This is a starter cruise for us and I'm trying to be as frugal as possible.   

13 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

The internet prices add up even if I only figured two devices.   DH will likely be asleep when I get up, so connecting with him would be nice so then you have three devices.  
This is a starter cruise for us and I'm trying to be as frugal as possible.   

We have 5 kids, using the app for texting was well worth the money compared to cruising without it. We tried walkie talkies on our first cruise and really struggled getting them to work.

• Thanks 1

Went on cruise with 16-year-old daughter.  We weren't together 24/7, but I did tell her to let me know where she was going and I did the same with her.  I don't recall any problems on the ship.  We did get separated at the beach, but that's another story.  😄

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Yes allowed. Make sure they are a UHF frequency. They will work the best. However, inside to outside may be intermittent at best.

Yu do realize that in port you are under the laws of a different country?

And that they may be legal in the US but not elsewhere?

9 minutes ago, moposh said:

Went on cruise with 16-year-old daughter.  We weren't together 24/7, but I did tell her to let me know where she was going and I did the same with her.  I don't recall any problems on the ship.  We did get separated at the beach, but that's another story.  😄

I'm not sure how it is with teenage girls because we only had boys. But when we travelled with them in their teenage years there were plenty of times that didn't want to find them when they wondered off. The peace and quiet was a really nice change of pace. 😉

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 3:51 AM, JupiterTwo said:

I am glad Royal does not charge twice the price as Disney does.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Yes you are correct. However all they wanted to know is if they would work.

So, you are fine with telling some something will work, but not telling them that doing so might be illegal in places they will be?

Strange way of "helping" people.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SRF said:

So, you are fine with telling some something will work, but not telling them that doing so might be illegal in places they will be?

Strange way of "helping" people.

Your remarks are nNOT wanted or required. If you are so smart. How about you tell them all the rules for all the different ports. Then you might be doing something. It is up to the user to make sure they check and see if they area able to be used leagly on the ship while in port. Getting off of the ship in ports is certainlly something that would need to be checkd before using them. Happy now? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/5/2022 at 12:07 AM, jackadapt said:

Are these allowed on board?  If not, and Royal were to confiscate them, would Royal give them back to us when we go onshore/excursions?  Thanks.

Yes, you can use them.  We bought some in Costco years ago and used to keep in touch with kids.  Also, good for use on shore at beach with no cell charge.

11 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

It is up to the user to make sure they check and see if they area able to be used leagly on the ship while in port. Getting off of the ship in ports is certainlly something that would need to be checkd before using them. Happy now? 

I'm not taking sides here.  But to be fair, you could say the same about the OPs question.  The answer is in the Royal FAQs.  We all ask questions in this forum that is fairly easy to find the answer elsewhere.  AND, almost every question is answered with much more information than what was asked. And the OP's questions did include taking radios off of the ship, on shore/excursions, something not as easily found.

Go Army!  Beat Navy!

Carry on!

Edited by Ret MP

17 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Your remarks are nNOT wanted or required. If you are so smart. How about you tell them all the rules for all the different ports. Then you might be doing something. It is up to the user to make sure they check and see if they area able to be used leagly on the ship while in port. Getting off of the ship in ports is certainlly something that would need to be checkd before using them. Happy now? 

You are now the CC police?  And what makes YOUR comments wanted or required???

My point was to tell them that THEY need to check legality.    Most people do not know, do not think about things like that.

Did YOU know that walkie talkies are illegal in many countries??

Edited by SRF
  • Like 3

When we took our 10 year old grandson with us, we had a simple solution.  He stayed with us.  If he wanted to swim, we sat at the pool deck.  If he wanted to eat, we went to the WJ.  Flowrider? Slides? We went too.  He moved around these areas freely but always within sight.  Outside of AO supervised activities, there was no reason for him to be wandering the ship without us.  

• Like 2