Female Cabin Stewards?

madat

On 11/7/2022 at 10:21 AM, madat said:

I've been on eight cruises in total, mostly with Celebrity and Princess.  I have never seen a female cabin steward.  Not once.  Housekeeping staff in hotels tend to be mostly female but on cruise ships, they seem to be exclusively male.  Why is it so?  Or am I wrong?  These ships are so big, maybe it's just been a coincidence that my stewards have always been males?  Indeed, there seems to be a mix of genders employed across most other roles on a ship.

Just curious, and this seems like a good place to ask!

I've had female cabin stewards before, though it took about five cruises for me to get my first. You'll eventually get one if you keep cruising.

The ratio of male to female stewards for me has been about 80-20. I wonder about the ratio across all lines. It's probably similar, but becoming more even as time goes on.

Of the maids I've met on land, near 100% have been female and the majority have been of color. You probably know the reasons for this.

• Thanks 1

On 11/7/2022 at 3:56 PM, Tonsoffun44 said:

Had female stewards on MSC and Celebrity years ago - they were also the only ones to call us Mr. Ms. or Mrs. the entire cruise. Was kind of odd they told us to call them by their first names but would NOT use ours, yet the male stewards on those sailings all used our first names when they saw us in the halls.

In the past when we are together, Silversea staff has addressed us as "Mamsir".  Sort of covers things.

The posters here are missing the very obvious point of staffing by gender.

When cruise lines berth crew in shared cabins of 2, 3, and 4, they are always challenged to assign women to ships so that the berthing allows all females in one cabin and all males in another.

It sounds simple to do - but it is not.

Cruise ships rarely have extra cabins or beds for crew.

Every 10 days or so, between 5% and 10% of the crew turn over on regular rotation.

The number of males and females signing off must EXACTLY match the number of male and female replacements.

This is far easier to accomplish when all or most of the crew are male.

The same would be true if all or most of the crew were female.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

The posters here are missing the very obvious point of staffing by gender.

When cruise lines berth crew in shared cabins of 2, 3, and 4, they are always challenged to assign women to ships so that the berthing allows all females in one cabin and all males in another.

It sounds simple to do - but it is not.

Cruise ships rarely have extra cabins or beds for crew.

Every 10 days or so, between 5% and 10% of the crew turn over on regular rotation.

The number of males and females signing off must EXACTLY match the number of male and female replacements.

This is far easier to accomplish when all or most of the crew are male.

The same would be true if all or most of the crew were female.

Good point. I know when I was a school board member, the only time we took gender into account when hiring a teacher was for phys. ed. There had to be a balance because there was a boy's and a girl's locker room, and obviously you would only have a teacher of the same sex entering each one.