Ovation of the Sea - Australian experience

Hi all, we are only 4 weeks away from our first cruise on Ovation and were curious about a couple of things now she has arrived in Oz. As we have seen the drinks packages have gone up a lot in recent months, and was curious what the prices are like onboard for coffees, beers, wines and spirits. Has anyone managed to grab a copy of those yet?

We are also wondering about the 'free' items, such as iFly and North Star. There are paid experiences on line, but are there free slots, and how hard are they to book? We will be looking forward to the reviews over the next few weeks.

Thanks in advance!

Lynn and Carl

13 minutes ago, carlandlyn said:

Hi all, we are only 4 weeks away from our first cruise on Ovation and were curious about a couple of things now she has arrived in Oz. As we have seen the drinks packages have gone up a lot in recent months, and was curious what the prices are like onboard for coffees, beers, wines and spirits. Has anyone managed to grab a copy of those yet?

We are also wondering about the 'free' items, such as iFly and North Star. There are paid experiences on line, but are there free slots, and how hard are they to book? We will be looking forward to the reviews over the next few weeks.

Thanks in advance!

Lynn and Carl

Wow , I just had a look. I suppose they have to pay for those new ships somehow.

431547FB-5428-425D-AEC7-739071500BD9.thumb.png.078c6c2762b8621ab3f7acbfc8249f55.png

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Wow , I just had a look. I suppose they have to pay for those new ships somehow.

431547FB-5428-425D-AEC7-739071500BD9.thumb.png.078c6c2762b8621ab3f7acbfc8249f55.png

Someone should do one of those price comparison list showing what various countries pay for the same item/service.  I think it may have been a Big Mac originally, 

$Aus277 equals $US180 - a lot of money in any currency.  4 spots left pre cruise savings.  

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Someone should do one of those price comparison list showing what various countries pay for the same item/service.  I think it may have been a Big Mac originally, 

$Aus277 equals $US180 - a lot of money in any currency.  4 spots left pre cruise savings.  

I showed some Americans on another site and they couldn’t believe it.

The ship tour is almost $300 .

This is the problem with the user pays method. There are some people out there with so much money that this is a drop in the ocean they will pay anything and believe they have the right to have everything they want even if it disadvantages others. 

I was happily eating in the MDR a few years ago when a waiter and a grumpy old woman came up to ask my family to move because it was their favourite table. She was insistent she was a pinnacle and paid more for her suite than me so deserved a better table. I told her politely to get stuffed as we all paid the same for the MDR. But alas guess who got that table the next night.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

This is the problem with the user pays method. There are some people out there with so much money that this is a drop in the ocean they will pay anything and believe they have the right to have everything they want even if it disadvantages others. 

I was happily eating in the MDR a few years ago when a waiter and a grumpy old woman came up to ask my family to move because it was their favourite table. She was insistent she was a pinnacle and paid more for her suite than me so deserved a better table. I told her politely to get stuffed as we all paid the same for the MDR. But alas guess who got that table the next night.

Hard to believe that someone would have the audacity to request a table you were already using. 

Drink prices are going to be a bit of a shock to many people I imagine. 

Beers will be about $8USD, most cocktails $12-14USD, then with 18% on top. 

That'll make a beer nearly $15AUD, and a Signature Cocktail over $25!! Even a coffee will be >$6. 

I'll be keeping an eye out for Black Friday drinks package discounts. If it can get to about $100/day it'll be pretty easy to break even on a sea intensive cruise. 

Edited by adelaidefc

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Hard to believe that someone would have the audacity to request a table you were already using. 

We had only just started on some bread but apparently this lovely lady was on a B2B and had sat their the previous 8 nights so believed it was rightfully hers. The husband was slinking away in the background. Reminded me of the Bucket woman on that English sitcom. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

We had only just started on some bread but apparently this lovely lady was on a B2B and had sat their the previous 8 nights so believed it was rightfully hers. The husband was slinking away in the background. Reminded me of the Bucket woman on that English sitcom. 

Hers, after only 8 nights!  Imagine her entitlement after a world cruise!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, adelaidefc said:

Drink prices are going to be a bit of a shock to many people I imagine. 

Beers will be about $8USD, most cocktails $12-14USD, then with 18% on top. 

That'll make a beer nearly $15AUD, and a Signature Cocktail over $25!! Even a coffee will be >$6. 

I'll be keeping an eye out for Black Friday drinks package discounts. If it can get to about $100/day it'll be pretty easy to break even on a sea intensive cruise. 

I have heard reports the drink prices aren’t that bad ??

People on the transpacific and the last cruise around NZ said they weren’t much more than a restaurant or a swanky bar.
But I suppose you don’t spend a week in a upmarket bar.

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

I have heard reports the drink prices aren’t that bad ??

People on the transpacific and the last cruise around NZ said they weren’t much more than a restaurant or a swanky bar.
But I suppose you don’t spend a week in a upmarket bar.

I very much hope to be corrected. I was just going off recent prices from OS cruises, they may have adjusted slightly for Aus-based. But certainly a bottle of beer for $15 or a $25 cocktail is at the upper end of even a swanky bar. 

17 minutes ago, adelaidefc said:

I very much hope to be corrected. I was just going off recent prices from OS cruises, they may have adjusted slightly for Aus-based. But certainly a bottle of beer for $15 or a $25 cocktail is at the upper end of even a swanky bar. 

I’m only going of what other people have posted on another site which I can’t name.

The drinks weren’t cheap 3 years ago , I bought 2 martini’s and it come to close to $50 AU . I didn’t do that again.

But the report’s are if you’re sensible and get a few specials like a bucket of beer or the drinks of the day you won’t get burnt to bad.

2 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I’m only going of what other people have posted on another site which I can’t name.

The drinks weren’t cheap 3 years ago , I bought 2 martini’s and it come to close to $50 AU . I didn’t do that again.

But the report’s are if you’re sensible and get a few specials like a bucket of beer or the drinks of the day you won’t get burnt to bad.

Or if you become diamond and each of you get four drinks a day included on your card then you don’t have to buy any!!   Also give you six cans(saving plastic) of water when you arrive.   On Wonder of the sea they also gave us two bottles of champagne…,I can’t drink any more than that! Eileen   👵🥳

13 minutes ago, Cruisers47 said:

Or if you become diamond and each of you get four drinks a day included on your card then you don’t have to buy any!!   Also give you six cans(saving plastic) of water when you arrive.   On Wonder of the sea they also gave us two bottles of champagne…,I can’t drink any more than that! Eileen   👵🥳

How did you get the 2 bottles of bubbly?

3 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

How did you get the 2 bottles of bubbly?

I don’t know..,perhaps because it was a new ship…too much for us to drink..,just took it to our dining room table at night.   But much appreciated.

Eileen

• Haha 1

We have an Ovation cruise coming up on the 26th November. I have been tracking the drinks package and purchased when the price was the lowest I had seen and we had a small amount of OBC ( about AU$70) that I put toward it. Paid about AU $94pp/day, We paid in AU$ and it included the 18% gratuity,  The cost of drinks onboard will be in US$, plus the 18% grat.  I figured if we bought a glass of wine for say $15 plus the 18%, then that would be approx. US$18 which at today’s exchange rate is approx. AU$28. $94 divided by $28 is a lot less than 4 glasses of wine a day for example. The package allows us to have freshly squeezed OJ in the morning, a specialty coffee or 2 during the day, a glass of bubbly pre dinner, a wine with dinner, a cocktail while we are listening to music after dinner, etc,etc,etc

The bill was paid for a couple of credit card statements ago, so for us we won’t be getting off the ship with “US$ bill shock” and we will have enjoyed ourselves. We thanked our 2 sons for buying us our drinks package-  SKI 😂😂  My husband and I both worked for 40 years in our professions, we have NO regrets about splurging a bit.

This cruise, with RCI double loyalty points offer will get us to Diamond status, so we won’t have to worry about buying a drinks package with them  on our future RC cruises.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, aussiecruiser66 said:

We have an Ovation cruise coming up on the 26th November. I have been tracking the drinks package and purchased when the price was the lowest I had seen and we had a small amount of OBC ( about AU$70) that I put toward it. Paid about AU $94pp/day, We paid in AU$ and it included the 18% gratuity,  The cost of drinks onboard will be in US$, plus the 18% grat.  I figured if we bought a glass of wine for say $15 plus the 18%, then that would be approx. US$18 which at today’s exchange rate is approx. AU$28. $94 divided by $28 is a lot less than 4 glasses of wine a day for example. The package allows us to have freshly squeezed OJ in the morning, a specialty coffee or 2 during the day, a glass of bubbly pre dinner, a wine with dinner, a cocktail while we are listening to music after dinner, etc,etc,etc

The bill was paid for a couple of credit card statements ago, so for us we won’t be getting off the ship with “US$ bill shock” and we will have enjoyed ourselves. We thanked our 2 sons for buying us our drinks package-  SKI 😂😂  My husband and I both worked for 40 years in our professions, we have NO regrets about splurging a bit.

This cruise, with RCI double loyalty points offer will get us to Diamond status, so we won’t have to worry about buying a drinks package with them  on our future RC cruises.

Yes it is so good to get to diamond.   We also got offered One day each free internet and since we didn’t have to pay for drinks  we used the $10 off a bag of washing.  Good coffee in the diamond club is included.   With the double points, I can’t believe it that we are nearly Diamond Plus.

yes treat yourselves,   We have all worked hard for many years and am enjoying this cruising life.

Eileen

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, aussiecruiser66 said:

The cost of drinks onboard will be in US$, plus the 18% grat.  

Not cruised post Covid resumption, but on all of our RC cruises departing Australia, the menu price was the price ie no gratuity added, unlike OS cruises.

Nonetheless, your logic on the value of the package is sound - enjoy

15 minutes ago, mr walker said:

15 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Not cruised post Covid resumption, but on all of our RC cruises departing Australia, the menu price was the price ie no gratuity added, unlike OS cruises.

Nonetheless, your logic on the value of the package is sound - enjoy

Interesting that menu prices pre covid didn't have gratuity added.  I thought plus 18% gratuity must be an anomaly since Australian cruises include gratuities.

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Hers, after only 8 nights!  Imagine her entitlement after a world cruise!

Private table for that "lady".

In a life raft, towed 400 meters behind the ship. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, aussiecruiser66 said:

What they do for OZ cruises is just change the menus for drinks so that they are all $1 USD higher than when sailing overseas. 

22 hours ago, carlandlyn said:

was curious what the prices are like onboard for coffees, beers, wines and spirits. Has anyone managed to grab a copy of those yet?

We were on the Ovation coming across from Hawaii, so guess these prices are the same or wont have changed in the 3 weeks since we got off.

Cocktails were US$15, Standard Beer I think was US$8.75, wine varied but about the cheapest was US$9 a glass all of these have 18% gratuity added.

Would recommend anyone who does drink quite a bit to get the package, mine worked out at A$87 per day when on special back in May and included the gratuity, also I didn’t have to get one for my wife, she doesn’t drink but in the online portal see if it will let you add just one package as officially all people in the cabin have to have it BUT if it will let you add just one then do it!!!!! I even called up and was told off the record as it were, if it lets you add it just for one person then it’s allowed on that sailing.

I did get my wife a 15 drink Coffee card for A$51 so that’s about A$3.40 per standard size, from memory the onboard price is US$4 and up for a speciality coffee plus the gratuity, but TBH I thought the coffee was not that great and at actually preferred the free stuff even though I had the package, mind you I don’t drink much coffee, 1 a day at breakfast is about it.

The ship itself is very nice though, Staterooms are amongst the best of any similar cruise line and maybe the strongest selling point for RCI, we had a standard balcony, plenty of room, lovely bathroom, plenty of storage well fitted out and quiet.

Food overall is standard cruise ship fare, like Princess or Celebrity, speciality dinning is nice but very much overpriced compared to other cruise lines.

Personally, I would not do again if with RCI, prices are almost 3 times what Princess charge and really for the same thing so unless you really want to try something totally different like Wonderland its not worth the money.

• Thanks 2