Epic entertainment

Badatz2

32 minutes ago, Badatz2 said:

I will be on the Epic shortly.  I would appreciate some details about current production shows, headliners, game shows etc.

Thank you

According to the NCL website, "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" and "Burn the Floor" are the main stage shows.  The lounge acts include a Beatles tribute band in the Cavern Club and dueling pianos in Howl at the Moon.  There also usually will be a couple of comedians, a jazz combo, and one or two singer / guitar players in the various bars and lounges.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Webshari said:

Yes, but has anyone actually seen one of the shows?  Isn’t one of them a drag show?

Priscilla is the drag show. Go with an open mind. I had convinced myself that I would not like it. Wrong. I loved it. Lively, colorful and a great show, in my opinion. You can always sit towards back of theater near an aisle. If it isn't your thing, leave quietly. 

I am not a fan of burn the floor. Great, talented dancers, but after ten minutes, I am ready to leave. 

4 hours ago, Webshari said:

Yes, but has anyone actually seen one of the shows?  Isn’t one of them a drag show?

It is a show about drag queens. Not a drag show. Just like the Encore has Kinky Boots. 

Pricilla was a great show. We saw it on opening night on the Epic. And they were playing the Pricilla movie on the stateroom TVs also (over and over) on that cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was on Epic for twelve days recently in early November. I would rate their entertainment as ordinary. We didn't go to Priscilla since we don't celebrate the  drag queen culture. There was a warning about the show in the daily. I guess that puts us in the "easily offended" category. Burn the floor and the Epic Beatles were probably the best offerings. The Polish violinist was very good. The lounge acts were not memorable. This was a very port intenive cruise, so folks were tired, especially since several ports were late arrivals. Ship was only half full.

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It is a show about drag queens. Not a drag show. Just like the Encore has Kinky Boots. 

Pricilla was a great show. We saw it on opening night on the Epic. And they were playing the Pricilla movie on the stateroom TVs also (over and over) on that cruise. 

Once again, The Bird hit the nail squarely on the head.  Priscilla is a show about folks who live a unique lifestyle, i.e. drag queens.  It is not a "drag show."  I was among the many who went to the show assuming I wouldn't like it, only to discover that it was a wonderful presentation.  I believe there is a name for such a mindset as I had, in which one judges something previous to actually experiencing it.  Oh yeah, it's called prejudice, and I must reluctantly admit that sometimes I find myself bitten by that bug.  I'll try to be more open to new experiences.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've enjoyed Priscilla both times I was on the Epic.  It is not a drag queen show, it is a show about three drag queens traveling the outback in their tour bus (RV).  It's a great stage production and it's your loss if you won't see it because of your prejudices. 

• Like 3

You are really missing out if you do not see Priscilla. I saw the stage show live at the theatre. The show on the Epic was full length and one of the best ship shows I have seen - comparable with the theatre version. The music is excellent - full of songs you will know and very toe tapping. The costumes are bright and colourful. We had to book in for one of the two nights it was showing. It received a standing ovation from the crowd. Do not miss!

You also had to book for Burn the Floor which was good latin style dancing and music. You also had to book for the Cirque show which was similar to other ones but done in the round theatre (Spiegel tent).

The Cavern Club show with the Beatles is good, especially for Beatles' fans and gets quite crowded. The duelling pianos were popular.

There wasn't much on during the day, I assume because the itinerary was very port intensive. We couldn't even play shuffleboard unless the ship was sailing.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2022 at 2:23 PM, Oakman58 said:

I've enjoyed Priscilla both times I was on the Epic.  It is not a drag queen show, it is a show about three drag queens traveling the outback in their tour bus (RV).  It's a great stage production and it's your loss if you won't see it because of your prejudices. 

The movie was hilarious and absolutely great. Is the musical pretty much the same? Looking forward to seeing this next week!

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

The movie was hilarious and absolutely great. Is the musical pretty much the same? Looking forward to seeing this next week!

It sticks pretty close to the movie (a lot of the dialog is the same) but it's about 1000% more camp.  The quick costume changes are dazzling.  You'll love it!

• Like 1

Priscilla wasn't playing on our cruise in May. Probably due to Covid. We did see Burn the Floor and I loved it--but I love dance in every form. Very high engery! Those dancers were amazing! SO was not as impressed. Next time I would send him to the cigar bar and go by myself! 😎

The group in the Cavern was from Ukraine and they were really good. We didn't see the Beatles tribute, but they played every night and a couple of afternoons on the pool deck. 

On 11/29/2022 at 11:25 PM, fstuff1 said:

is this a different burn the floor than the one on Breakaway or Gem?

I have not been on the Gem yet but the  Breakaway CD in September kept saying that it is different on the Breakaway, the Getaway and the Epic.