MSC Cruise without Passport

cruisenova

I'm in need of urgent help, as MSC customer support is being as unhelpful as possible. I will be cruising with family on MSC Divina on November 18 through November 28. We are on a "closed loop" cruise from Miami with ports of call in Jamaica, Panama, Colombia, Costa Rica and Bahamas. One member of my travel group is a US citizen with no passport. They completed web check-in with an ID and plan to take their ID and birth certificate for boarding. We wanted to double check that the ID and birth certificate are acceptable to board, but MSC will not give any helpful information. Their "before you go" tab only gives information for non-US citizens, so this doesn't help. They then direct you to travel.state.gov, however, the cruise relevant page says passport is not needed for closed loop cruises but check each port countries requirements. When you use their country search, it sates all of our ports require passports, as these pages are not relevant to cruise travel. All of this information is extremely confusing and contradicting, so I am curious if anyone has any experience with MSC and/or these ports of call, specifically Panama and Colombia, requiring passports for closed loop cruises. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisenova said:

I'm in need of urgent help, as MSC customer support is being as unhelpful as possible. I will be cruising with family on MSC Divina on November 18 through November 28. We are on a "closed loop" cruise from Miami with ports of call in Jamaica, Panama, Colombia, Costa Rica and Bahamas. One member of my travel group is a US citizen with no passport. They completed web check-in with an ID and plan to take their ID and birth certificate for boarding. We wanted to double check that the ID and birth certificate are acceptable to board, but MSC will not give any helpful information. Their "before you go" tab only gives information for non-US citizens, so this doesn't help. They then direct you to travel.state.gov, however, the cruise relevant page says passport is not needed for closed loop cruises but check each port countries requirements. When you use their country search, it sates all of our ports require passports, as these pages are not relevant to cruise travel. All of this information is extremely confusing and contradicting, so I am curious if anyone has any experience with MSC and/or these ports of call, specifically Panama and Colombia, requiring passports for closed loop cruises. 

I've done a number of similar itineraries on other cruise lines and cruises calling on Costa Rica, Panama  and Colombia definitely required a passport.

21 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I've done a number of similar itineraries on other cruise lines and cruises calling on Costa Rica, Panama  and Colombia definitely required a passport.

In which case OP your companion will need a passport. If he lives near a Passport Issuing Office he might be able to get an appointment since travel happens soon. Probably the only real shot at getting the passport before sailing.

All of those ports (with the possible exception of Costa Rica) are part of the WHTI Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative and as it is a closed loop cruise, do not require a passport of a US citizen. However, east cruise line is free to require passports of every guest.  I don’t know if this is true of MSC, but I would be asking on the board here for MSC.  EM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A US citizen should be able to board with a certified copy of a birth certificate (usually has a raised seal) and a valid photo ID (usually a Driver’s License). Since this is a closed-loop cruise, a Passport is not required for US Citizens.

I was on the 12 day repositioning cruise from Port Canaveral to Miami on Divina last month with stops at those ports and others. Since it was a repositioning cruise, it was not considered a closed-loop (returning to the same departure port) and should have required a passport, however, I spoke to two people who were on the cruise and boarded with just a Birth Certificate and Driver’s License. I am not sure what happened when the got to immigration in Miami when getting off the ship, but they were able to board in Port Canaveral with no issues.

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Do you have any references that states that Costa Rica, Panama and Colombia are excluded from WHTI for closed loop cruises? We went ahead and got them an appointment at the Passport office prior to sailing, but we are just trying to figure out a back up plan in case that doesn't work.

19 minutes ago, cruisenova said:

Do you have any references that states that Costa Rica, Panama and Colombia are excluded from WHTI for closed loop cruises? We went ahead and got them an appointment at the Passport office prior to sailing, but we are just trying to figure out a back up plan in case that doesn't work.

To throw it back to you do you have any reference they are included? Not all countries in the western hemisphere are included.

Columbia is in South America and a passport is needed. Panama and Costa Rica are in Central America and a passport is needed.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

Your best choice is always a passport/passport card. If you live in one of the (very few) states that issue them, an "Enhanced" driver's license should also be sufficient (though they are so rare, you frequently get blank stares from agents when you try to use it). Note that an Enhanecd DL is NOT the same as a "Real ID". The fallback of birth certificate and picture ID may still be OK, but I would not try it unless you truly have no other choice.

31 minutes ago, WoodyWindy said:

Your best choice is always a passport/passport card. If you live in one of the (very few) states that issue them, an "Enhanced" driver's license should also be sufficient (though they are so rare, you frequently get blank stares from agents when you try to use it). Note that an Enhanecd DL is NOT the same as a "Real ID". The fallback of birth certificate and picture ID may still be OK, but I would not try it unless you truly have no other choice.

They need a passport for that itinerary. A passport card or EDL or birth certificate will not suffice.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisenova said:

I can refer you to a cruise line website. 

NCL specifically states that a passport is required for all Panama Canal cruises.

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents#domestic-air-travel-ID

Panama Canal

Valid passports are required to board the ship for all Panama Canal sailings. No passport cards, birth certificates or other form of proof of US citizenship will be accepted. Failure to present a valid passport at check-in will result in denial of boarding.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

To throw it back to you do you have any reference they are included? Not all countries in the western hemisphere are included.

Columbia is in South America and a passport is needed. Panama and Costa Rica are in Central America and a passport is needed.

Wrong.... Not for Panama on a closed loop cruise. I ve cruised to Pnanma several times from Miami. Can't speak for Costa Rica

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

They need a passport for that itinerary. A passport card or EDL or birth certificate will not suffice.  

FYI, many clients have cruised that itinerary without one on MSC. Just sayin'.

I always recommend a passport though so it would have been on them if there was an issue.

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Panama Canal

Valid passports are required to board the ship for all Panama Canal sailings. No passport cards, birth certificates or other form of proof of US citizenship will be accepted. Failure to present a valid passport at check-in will result in denial of boarding.

That sailing is not considered a Panama Canal sailing as it does not go through the Canal.

1 hour ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

I always recommend a passport though so it would have been on them if there was an issue.

That sailing is not considered a Panama Canal sailing as it does not go through the Canal.

MSC may have an agreement with Costa Rica and Columbia to allow cruise passengers to call at their ports without a passport. So OP needs confirmation from MSC. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 12:21 AM, cruiseguyinorl said:

As a UK traveller,  we are unable to travel anywhere without a passport, I'm intrigued. If you were ill whilst in say Panama and required a hospital stay. And the ship departs. How do you fly home without a passport? Does the WHTI allow for travel (non cruise) between the included countries without a passport, just ID?

Apologies to the OP, not relevant to the question but I'm curious. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

As a UK traveller,  we are unable to travel anywhere without a passport, I'm intrigued. If you were ill whilst in say Panama and required a hospital stay. And the ship departs. How do you fly home without a passport? Does the WHTI allow for travel (non cruise) between the included countries without a passport, just ID?

It does, but it is more complicated. The US Consulate or Embassy in that country will need to get involved. When the Norwegian Getaway went aground in the Dominican Republic and all the passengers needed to be repatriated to the US it was a lot of extra work. Please, US citizens, get a passport. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

They would have to get an emergency passport from a US embassy or consulate. 

59 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

It does, but it is more complicated. The US Consulate or Embassy in that country will need to get involved. When the Norwegian Getaway went aground in the Dominican Republic and all the passengers needed to be repatriated to the US it was a lot of extra work. Please, US citizens, get a passport. 

In those kind of cases the state department issues a blanket waiver and sends a notice to its ICE locations.  That is less complicated than for an individual who misses the ship who does not have a passport who will have to contact an embassy or consulate. 

Thanks for the replies. I don't know if the process is complicated or expensive in the US, it's not in the UK. You fill in a form online and It's £75 / $90 for a passport which is valid for 10 years.

I think, if I were a US traveller I'd prefer to travel with one, for peace of mind. Anything involving consulates and embassies in an emergency sounds to be adding stress. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Thanks for the replies. I don't know if the process is complicated or expensive in the US, it's not in the UK. You fill in a form online and It's £75 / $90 for a passport which is valid for 10 years.

I think, if I were a US traveller I'd prefer to travel with one, for peace of mind. Anything involving consulates and embassies in an emergency sounds to be adding stress. 

CF ... the UK passport is actually only usable as you know for 9 years and 6 months despite many Countries accepting having a remaining 3 months on the passport on the day you return in order to travel. Time for a 10 year and 3-month passport. Whilst others require 6 months.

6 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Everyone should get a passport. My read is that one person in OP’s group does not have a passport and as the cruise is November 18 they would not have the time to go through the normal application process to get a passport in time. It would have to be expedited. If that person lives in Northern Virginia as the OP does that would be the route I would go as being close to DC it could be done in a day.

7 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Everyone should get a passport. My read is that one person in OP’s group does not have a passport and as the cruise is November 18 they would not have the time to go through the normal application process to get a passport in time. It would have to be expedited. If that person lives in Northern Virginia as the OP does that would be the route I would go as being close to DC it could be done in a day.

I noted the OP had time limitations and a more unique scenario. I was just curious in general, as its a situation - travelling without a passport, that's a concept unfamiliar to us UK travellers. 

54 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

I was just curious in general, as its a situation - travelling without a passport, that's a concept unfamiliar to us UK travellers. 

You live on a small island  300 miles by 600 miles 🙂 and need a passport to travel anywhere off the island. We can travel thousands of miles without a passport. I live in Texas and can travel 1000 miles in either direction before leaving the state.  Traveling to Europe is a long expensive plane ride not a short train ride under the channel. So having a passport is exotic for many Americans. 

• Like 2

You can get an emergency passport, which is what is needed in this scenario.  I wouldn’t want to chance getting to embarkation and trying to check in and turned away, losing the cruise fare.

It may be too late even for an emergency passport, though.  I know I had to get my pic taken, drive 5 hours to the nearest processing center (Chicago) and paid a bunch of crazy extra fees for the privilege, but I did it.  I think I had 3 weeks to get it, though.  That doesn’t apply here.