What exactly is an "Infinite" room on Icon

LuCruise

This may be a silly question, but does anyone know what exactly the infinite rooms are on icon?  e.g. Infinite Central Park Balcony, Infinite Ocean View Balcony, etc.

Does it have an actual outside balcony?  Or is it more of a sunroom?  From the pictures, it looks like the latter and it's more enclosed. 

5 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

This may be a silly question, but does anyone know what exactly the infinite rooms are on icon?  e.g. Infinite Central Park Balcony, Infinite Ocean View Balcony, etc.

Does it have an actual outside balcony?  Or is it more of a sunroom?  From the pictures, it looks like the latter and it's more enclosed. 

The latter, with a window that can open.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks for the reply.  So basically like a sunroom (and not really a "balcony")

Yeah. I think the whole idea is that the space that would have been a balcony gives you a bigger room with a panoramic oceanview window instead. And if you want to enjoy the ocean breeze, you just lower the ginormous car-window-thingie and viola, instant balcony. And you even get a few chairs in the area to double as both a living area and patio furniture.

I like the idea, personally. Though I don't quite understand the marketing behind the word "infinite", other than I think they're trying to make it sound like an infinity pool thing. The "infinity pool" I get, because it's creating a psuedo-horizon. But that doesn't quite fly in these bedrooms. Guess that's why I'm not in marketing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monorail81 said:

Look up Celebrity Infinite Verandah. You can find some videos which will help you. I’ve never sailed in one, but it doesn’t seem like it would be good…I would think it would make the whole cabin hot…and eventually moldy…

You can close the door between the balcony and the rest of the room, just as you can with a "normal" balcony.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks for the reply.  So basically like a sunroom (and not really a "balcony")

I saw a video of it, basically it can be either.  It starts as a sunroom, but imagine the whole top half of the outside window can be lowered, and it would then look very much like a balcony.

Relevant part at about 3:05:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, monorail81 said:

Look up Celebrity Infinite Verandah. You can find some videos which will help you. I’ve never sailed in one, but it doesn’t seem like it would be good…I would think it would make the whole cabin hot…and eventually moldy…

Let's say you keep your cabin nice and cold during the night, in the morning you open that window and the warm humid air comes in, and then condensation forms on all those chilled surfaces. 

Edited by goldfish65
  • Like 3

Just now, goldfish65 said:

Let's say you keep your cabin nice and cold during the night, in the morning you open that window and the warm humid air comes in, and then condensations forms on all those chilled surfaces. 

You can close the door between the balcony and the rest of the room, just as you can with a "normal" balcony.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, EleventyBangBang said:

I saw a video of it, basically it can be either.  It starts as a sunroom, but imagine the whole top half of the outside window can be lowered, and it would then look very much like a balcony.

Relevant part at about 3:05:

Thanks for sharing!  This helps!  So the window does come down to let the air in when wanted. They seem like a nice to get full window, a bit extra space and breeze when wanted.

(We didn't book one of these due to the price for our sailing but definitely good to watch out for int he future some day)

16 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks for sharing!  This helps!  So the window does come down to let the air in when wanted. They seem like a nice to get full window, a bit extra space and breeze when wanted.

(We didn't book one of these due to the price for our sailing but definitely good to watch out for int he future some day)

If, like on X, the Captain can override the window opening- it means you cannot open at whim. 
Opening takes +/- 40 seconds so if you want to open it to get that whale 🐳 shot; chances are it will have gone! 

16 hours ago, time4u2go said:

That would be unfortunate.  I would have thought they'd include a door like on Celebrity.

Even on the Celebrity ships, the door is more of a tri-fold door that does not seal the cabin from the "balcony", and the AC is turned off when the window is open.

19 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

Let's say you keep your cabin nice and cold during the night, in the morning you open that window and the warm humid air comes in, and then condensation forms on all those chilled surfaces. 

How is this any different than a balcony door being opened in the morning? We do this exact same thing, keep it cold as possible all night, open the balcony in the morning while getting ready or having coffee. 

To me this is better than a balcony. All the benefits of having a balcony, because that window is really the same size as the balcony opening to fresh air, but also having the benefits of having a larger room that can be cooled if you keep it closed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, msuspartabigten said:

How is this any different than a balcony door being opened in the morning?

Well, for one thing, the infinite rooms are designed to not only shut off the AC recirculation system in that cabin, but also the fresh air supply to that cabin, which does not happen when you leave a balcony door open for extended time.  This affects the fresh air supply to whole banks of cabins, and affects those cabin's ability to maintain temperature.  Balcony doors are not designed to be kept open.

• Like 1

I've stayed in one of these on X-Edge. Very nice concept. People either hate em or love em. Don't know any of you here, so don't know your personal preferences, but I'd say if you haven't personally been in one, to at least give it a try before drawing conclusions.

We were on the ship for a week, on a very hot itinerary to Mexico/W. Car.. We had no issues with heat or humidity inside our room when the verandah outer window was closed. The captain didn't disable our access (that we know of) at any point on the cruise. 

If you want to be in tune with the ocean, the view you get from these inside your cabin is worth trying at least once! 

image.thumb.jpeg.c090f9cd6dedb79d2a08275f323b611d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8a0f45980ceedefe5677f45180b86b98.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c8f9df60d5639974ef219bb33658c3f7.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, robmtx said:

I've stayed in one of these on X-Edge. Very nice concept. People either hate em or love em. Don't know any of you here, so don't know your personal preferences, but I'd say if you haven't personally been in one, to at least give it a try before drawing conclusions.

We were on the ship for a week, on a very hot itinerary to Mexico/W. Car.. We had no issues with heat or humidity inside our room when the verandah outer window was closed. The captain didn't disable our access (that we know of) at any point on the cruise. 

If you want to be in tune with the ocean, the view you get from these inside your cabin is worth trying at least once! 

Looks really  nice to me!  Thanks for sharing the similar idea on Celebrity.

10 minutes ago, robmtx said:

That looks very nice!

8 hours ago, fsjosh said:

I'm not seeing anything hiding there. 

2061825950_ScreenShot2022-11-11at12_42_44AM.thumb.png.f64450e42fe7f90302ef5a051b5ae42f.png

Strange. The video from above might have been showing concepts from a different ship then.

26 minutes ago, robmtx said:

My guess is some folks worry they're going to be treated like some little kid who can't stop rolling the window up and down in the back seat. Though I figure the point of giving the captain control over the windows is in case the ship ends up in a storm. If things are looking a bit dangerous, he can roll all the windows up, or make it so that only the "up" button works.

Edited by PolicromaSol
Adding to my previous.

23 hours ago, LuCruise said:

There are literally thousands of posts on the IV concept, overall actual experiences, likes and dislikes, on the Celebrity board. It is controversial and some traditional balcony-loving cruisers are negative. Others really like them.  For detailed info look up by using the Search function on Celebrity board.  Started on EDGE but also on APEX and BEYOND.  Maybe too much info for your request, but just giving an option for your research.