What exactly is an "Infinite" room on Icon

LuCruise

1 hour ago, msuspartabigten said:

How is this any different than a balcony door being opened in the morning? We do this exact same thing, keep it cold as possible all night, open the balcony in the morning while getting ready or having coffee. 

To me this is better than a balcony. All the benefits of having a balcony, because that window is really the same size as the balcony opening to fresh air, but also having the benefits of having a larger room that can be cooled if you keep it closed. 

We never left our balcony door open, so I don't know. When we wanted fresh air we spent time on our balcony. Will be interesting to read the reviews. I see it will have cabins with regular balconies too. 

The best definition for those "infinite" cabins is perhaps that they're a mid-way between a regular ship balcony cabin and a classic land hotel room. X is using it mostly to resemble a regular balcony cabin while giving you some more space. MSC on their new World Europa is using it to expand your cabin so that it resembles mostly a classic land hotel room. Icon, only time will tell, but it seems to mostly follow the X concept. Personally I'd to prefer the MSC's way for a larger cabin with a huge view. At least, IMHO, the balconies themselves are sort of a wasted space to say the least. If we can have a bigger cabin, bigger bathroom, etc. that would to be better.

• Like 2

My wife and I were on the Edge about a month ago.  We always book a balcony, and from reading many iv reviews, I decided to book an aft cabin, which are all true balconies on the Edge class.  Something happened the cruise before, because our room smelled real bad, Celebrity moved us up to an Aqua Class cabin, which was an infinite verandah.  My expectations were confirmed with our new room, to me it is not a balcony, just a room with a large window.  The only positive was that since our bed was towards the back of the room, we could leave the window open and hear the waves as we fell asleep.  

• Like 1

Just an open/close window.  When the window is open the AC is off.

With a true balcony my DW can sit inside in the AC and I can sit outside on the balcony.  There are two separate areas on a true balcony and effectively one area on a IV.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 3

• 8 months later...

Unlike a true veranda or balcony, it is just a room with a different type of flooring and a large window that opens.

Cruisers will no longer have the ability to sit under the balcony overhang and enjoy the outdoors during a gentle rain the windows will close automatically.

Edited by boscobeans

On 11/11/2022 at 9:01 AM, goldfish65 said:

When we wanted fresh air we spent time on our balcony. Will be interesting to read the reviews.

The reviews on Celebrity have been mixed from loved it to hated it.

Why would a CruiseLine do this when there is so much negativity from passengers on a sister cruise line??????

There is no advantage to the new non-verandas when compared to a traditional OPEN-AIR veranda, or at least none I can see.   NEW COKE anyone?

On 8/3/2023 at 5:26 PM, boscobeans said:

The reviews on Celebrity have been mixed from loved it to hated it.

Why would a CruiseLine do this when there is so much negativity from passengers on a sister cruise line??????

There is no advantage to the new non-verandas when compared to a traditional OPEN-AIR veranda, or at least none I can see.   NEW COKE anyone?

The advantage is for the MAJORITY of people that book balcony cabins bet never actually sit outside on the balcony for any significant time. People want the balcony for the views and the fresh air, which an IV cabin provides. You are correct in saying that for those that lie to really be outdoors laying on a lounger on your balcony an IV cabin isn't the right fit for you. But that's definitely not the majority of people who book balcony cabins. 

I have a feeling it is costs less to build a ship without balconies. 

Do like to sit out in the open air, looking at the ocean, without leaving my cabin. Quietly step out while the other sleeps. Nice to have the separation. 

I wouldn’t like it if that motorized window was locked out by master control. 

The new wave of cruisers won’t know any better. 

Edited by goldfish65
  • Like 1

It is clear that many have not looked at what the infinite verandah is.

There is a separate set of doors / floor to ceiling windows that can be pulled across to close off the balcony portion so that you can sit on the balcony while the rest of the room remains cool and air conditioned. In that way it is no different than a regular balcony except when the outer balcony window is closed you have a much bigger room.  

See this Video on the Edge that shows the interior doors that close to create the "Normal balcony.  Your choice as to how you use it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It's the same design. Doesn't matter that its not on Icon.

10 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It's the same design. Doesn't matter that its not on Icon.

No, it's absolutely NOT the same design. As I originally said the Icon IV cabins don't have those frosted bifold doors as with those cabins on Celebrity. Instead they have curtains and probably no pleated blackout shade. That changes things. What's more as the video render shows the furniture for the Balcony part of the room is different. It's less like outdoor balcony furniture and more like indoor upholstered slipper chairs. If you can see the difference then I can't help you. Royal is splitting the difference between how Celebrity utilizes an IV window and how MSC treated those cabins. MSC makes no pretense that it creates a balcony space but instead treats it as a different category of Oceanview window which just happens to open. 

Edited by kwokpot

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There is a separate set of doors / floor to ceiling windows that can be pulled across to close off the balcony portion so that you can sit on the balcony while the rest of the room remains cool and air conditioned. In that way it is no different than a regular balcony except when the outer balcony window is closed you have a much bigger room.  

See this Video on the Edge that shows the interior doors that close to create the "Normal balcony.  Your choice as to how you use it.

100%Wrong. With the window down the AC shuts off. The bifold doors, which by the way don't exist on the Icon cabins, act as a room divider, just like the curtains will on the Icon. The bifold doors Have No effect on the HVAC. Only the opening or closing the window turns the HVAC on or off. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

No, it's absolutely NOT the same design. As I originally said the Icon IV cabins don't have those frosted bifold doors as with those cabins on Celebrity. Instead they have curtains and probably no pleated blackout shade. That changes things. What's more as the video render shows the furniture for the Balcony part of the room is different. It's less like outdoor balcony furniture and more like indoor upholstered slipper chairs. If you can see the difference then I can't help you. Royal is splitting the difference between how Celebrity utilizes an IV window and how MSC treated those cabins. MSC makes no pretense that it creates a balcony space but instead treats it as a different category of Oceanview window which just happens to open. 

Were those actual finished photos or just renderings.  I have a hard time believing that there are no doors that can block the balcony portion off.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Were those actual finished photos or just renderings.  I have a hard time believing that there are no doors that can block the balcony portion off.

It's not a balcony. It's a cabin with a window that opens. If you look it from that perspective, it all makes sense. https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/category-detail.php?c=3463

• Like 2

Here is what MSC did. They are treating this kind of cabin for what it really is, and Oceanview. 

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/category-detail.php?c=3232

5 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Here is what MSC did. They are treating this kind of cabin for what it really is, and Oceanview. 

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/category-detail.php?c=3232

You did not answer my question.  Were they actual photos of the Icon or were they artist renderings.  It is irrelevant what MSC did

• Haha 1

You did not answer my question.  Were they actual photos of the Icon or were they artist renderings.  It is irrelevant what MSC did

You do realize the ship is still under construction and doesn't sail until January? Anyway, you asked for REAL photos of an IV balcony on the Icon, and here it is. Same as the render, with curtains tied back on both sides and NO BIFOLD DOORS. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/royal-caribbeans-icon-of-the-seas-family-cabin-progress-photos-2023-5

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

You do realize the ship is still under construction and don't sail until January? Anyway, you walked gir REAL photos of an IV balcony on the Icon, and here it is. Same SA the render, with curtains tied back on both sides and NO BIFOLD DOORS. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/royal-caribbeans-icon-of-the-seas-family-cabin-progress-photos-2023-5

Certainly looks like a frosted door could be  behind the curtain to me.  

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Did you actually scroll through all the photos? Why are you being argumentative? Here's a quote from the article I post:

It may be called an " infinite balcony" stateroom, but there's no traditional balcony with a glass sliding door.

And before you retort back that it doesn't mean that it doesn't have the bifold doors, it would have been added to that quote if it did indeed have extra doors. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

No really, did you go through the Business Insider article? There's a bunch of photos and descriptions of the new family infinite balcony room. It's going to be the best article with actual photos of the rooms that's are under construction.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2023 at 6:13 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cv285LTKnZQ/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA%3D%3D&fbclid=IwAR1uarJR455xof_bWonEUhfZbqp_pi6O_T6WWprjLgpQcUw1DJZWFzpqhNY

If there are doors there, they are well hidden. 

• Like 1